Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tree planting

• 21-03-2013 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,
    I have very little experience with gardening but I hope to plant trees around my house. I was hoping to find a type of deciduous tree that would not grow more than 20-30ft high. A garden centre suggested "prunus pissardii" and "sorbus aria lutesencs", would these be a good choice? Would they have a long life? Any other information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭Silent Runner

You could look into our native Irish Crab apple tree, I think it gives off very nice displays while providing food for garden birds. You could even plant a normal apple tree. I think a Japanese Maple would also fit into your plan too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

eoinflynn wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have very little experience with gardening but I hope to plant trees around my house. I was hoping to find a type of deciduous tree that would not grow more than 20-30ft high. A garden centre suggested "prunus pissardii" and "sorbus aria lutesencs", would these be a good choice? Would they have a long life? Any other information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

that leaves you with a very wide choice really. The 2 you mentioned are run of the mill and widespread in gardens, the sorbus does have a nice fastigate shape..

could you be a bit more specific with site and location, prevaling winds etc, what you want to achieve with the tree and maby pictures too and you would then get a load of ideas from posters here.

For a brief look at smaller garden trees see here, maby you might see somthing you like:

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=117

another idea is to look in the gardens around you for somthing that you like or may have sentimental value for you that may fall within your brief.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 eoinflynn

Oldtree wrote: »
    that leaves you with a very wide choice really. The 2 you mentioned are run of the mill and widespread in gardens, the sorbus does have a nice fastigate shape..

could you be a bit more specific with site and location, prevaling winds etc, what you want to achieve with the tree and maby pictures too and you would then get a load of ideas from posters here.

For a brief look at smaller garden trees see here, maby you might see somthing you like:

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=117

another idea is to look in the gardens around you for somthing that you like or may have sentimental value for you that may fall within your brief.

It is a quite shaded site with a ten foot surrounding wall yet it gets sunlight all day due to its position. I would like the trees to have nice colour about them to create a nice look to the eye but also so as not to grow too high as in to block sunlight to the house itself.
    How far out from the surrounding wall should these trees be planted?
    I know the soil is only about a foot to a foot and a half deep before meeting site trunking so I intend to dig out a square metre area and put in new topsoil, would that be sufficient?
    I also would be looking for a tree that would have a long life without much tending bar pruning?

Advertisement