Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with laptop's sound

Options
  • 21-03-2013 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,793 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I've been having problems with my laptop's sound recently. It usually comes back again once I restart it but have had to do it 2/3 times recently so it's getting kind of annoying.

It's a Dell Inspiron 1525 with Windows 7. Any help would be great!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Eod100 wrote: »
    Hi,

I've been having problems with my laptop's sound recently. It usually comes back again once I restart it but have had to do it 2/3 times recently so it's getting kind of annoying.

It's a Dell Inspiron 1525 with Windows 7. Any help would be great!

When you say gone, is it muting the sound or do you think it's a hardware issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,793 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

mordeith wrote: »
    When you say gone, is it muting the sound or do you think it's a hardware issue?

Yeah muting the sound basically. It's back again now cos I restarted but will probably go again. Not sure if it's a hardware issue though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Which drivers did you install? (Dell don't support Windows 7 with this model)

Torqay wrote: »
    Which drivers did you install? (Dell don't support Windows 7 with this model)

Sorry, meant Dell Inspiron 1425. As in which sound drivers?

Sorry, meant Dell Inspiron 1425. As in which sound drivers?

Same difference, Dell does not support Windows 7 on this laptop.

Device drivers to make the device work with the operating system.

• Advertisement

Same difference, Dell does not support Windows 7 on this laptop.

Device drivers to make the device work with the operating system.

It came with Windows 7 though..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

It came with Windows 7 though..

If the sound works for a while then suddenly stops, check device manager, make sure that the sound card isn't set to switch off to save power, I'd be very surprised if it is.

Also, does this only happen when the machine is running on battery?

If the sound works for a while then suddenly stops, check device manager, make sure that the sound card isn't set to switch off to save power, I'd be very surprised if it is.

Also, does this only happen when the machine is running on battery?

Couldn't find that option in device manager..

No happens when charged too. Hasn't happened for a few days so hopefully it's resolved itself..

Ah feck, it's happened again.. Anyone know how to fix?Thanks!

Go into the device manager and find out vendor and device ID (probably Realtek), then get the latest driver.

• Advertisement

Go into the device manager and find out vendor and device ID (probably Realtek), then get the latest driver.

Ok, so I went into Device Manager, went to Sound, video and game controllers. Selected the only option below it (IDT High Definition Audio Code) but couldn't see vendor or device ID listed..

There's hardware ID if that counts?

Tried updating it and Windows is telling me its up to date..

Ok, so I went into Device Manager, went to Sound, video and game controllers. Selected the only option below it (IDT High Definition Audio Code) but couldn't see vendor or device ID listed..

There's hardware ID if that counts?

Tried updating it and Windows is telling me its up to date..
    Does this happen at any time or when you switch programs?

mordeith wrote: »
    Does this happen at any time or when you switch programs?

Happens anytime!

Happens anytime!

Reason I ask is that my laptop has the same IDT sound. It's provided by Microsoft. If I have two progams open, audio will only play in the one that was opened first.

Anyone have any more ideas how to fix this? Cheers!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

IDT are now Sigmatel, get the 2009 Sigmatel driver on this page and see if it works, assuming you are using Windows 7 32Bit, the Vista 32Bit driver should work fine..

Nick

Advertisement