Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have JSA, reapply for JSB?

• 21-03-2013 4:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭

Went in a month ago to apply for JSB. Was told I met the criteria. Went in the next time and was told I didn't qualify because I was self-employed (all my credits were in order etc. still don't know what went on there, but that was in another thread.)

So I finally got my JSA for €100 a week. That's not going to even cover rent. They have my means down as €84 a week, based on my 2012 accounts when I was a full-time student. Now, I can understand that most entitlements/tax issues are based on your previous year's income, but surely social welfare is more concerned with your current situation? As in, I haven't managed to get work since January, so I've no idea why this €84 is coming in to play. I showed them my current accounts, they're either empty or in the red.

Is it possible to go in and say "I'm no longer self-employed, I'm unemployed" even though there's no difference in my means? I explained to them that I'm registered as self-employed... but I'm free to work full-time. The only reason I registered as self-employed was to do some contract work before Christmas legitimately.

Is there any where to put your case and get advice? I've been in the welfare office four times and not once has anyone explained anything to me.

I'm looking at http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/self_employed_and_unemployment.html
    However, if you worked as an employee in the last 4 years, you may have paid Class A PRSI and should apply to your Social Welfare Local Office for Jobseeker’s Benefit. Your Social Welfare Local Office will check their records to find out whether you have enough Class A contributions to get Jobseeker’s Benefit.

If you get Jobseeker’s Benefit you may continue to do some work. However, you must have lost at least one day of employment and as a result of this loss be unemployed for at least 3 days out of 6 days. Your earnings must also have been reduced because of the loss of employment.

For example, if you are engaged under a contract for service to work (on a self-employed basis) for 3 days per week and unemployed for the remainder of the week, you may qualify for Jobseeker’s Benefit. Jobseeker’s Benefit is taxable.
    Which has me baffled because it's directly concerning self-employed people. Don't want to go in and start waving a website in their faces, but I'm more likely to blame human error than an official website.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

You need to make a formal appeal. Some info here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

You need to make a formal appeal. Some info here.

Thanks, didn't realise it was an independent body.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Fewcifur wrote: »
    Thanks, didn't realise it was an independent body.

They are not exactly 'independent' just supposed to be impartial.

Advertisement