Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An educational website for secondary school students

Options
  • 21-03-2013 5:07pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 53 ✭✭

I am a 6th year student gifted in computer skills & programming. I developed StudyNotes.ie, an educational website for secondary school students.

During my last summer holidays I invested my time in building this educational website where revison notes, course related videos and other useful resources can be found. The site also features a new easy to use forum which I hope will become an online hub for students to get support and help from other students and teachers.

Unlike other sites dedicated in bringing content to secondary school students, StudyNotes.ie will always be free of charge and open to everyone.

What do you think of the site? Any feedbacks? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

If any of the videos get taken down from YouTube, your website is almost useless.

Consider investing in self hosting the videos, if you actually own the videos. Otherwise, it's just a hub. This could get expensive.

Some of the subjects are severely lacking.

Some of the stuff isn't leaving cert related, but Khan academy has good tutorials that you could include too.

You'll have to make a balance between having the "community" updating pages and content, and having it done at a good quality.

Free is good, but people have shown that they are willing to spend a little to get something better. I don't know what your business model is, but since people are willing to pay for premium apps (iOS/Android whatever) they might be happy to pay to unlock extra content, or special areas of the site.

Access to these areas could also be gained through a merit system. The more the user contributes (along with quality), then they can be rewarded with access. This shouldn't obviously be limited to teen students alone. Knowledgable individuals should be able to contribute.

The "inspirational" tumblog is fairly pointless IMO.

Perhaps include a grinds register. NUI Galway has one http://www.su.nuigalway.ie/grind_adverts/

##Design stuff##
    White space to the right of the logo. WS is fine, but it doesn't match the rest of the site which is a little cluttered. Just a little.

Pick a logo and stick with it. I see one with the white space next to it, and another on the chalk board. There isn't much of a brand visible.

That's it actually, I'm struggling to fault it aside from that.

The website and the idea both have a lot of potential. Good luck with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 295 ✭✭joetoad

Site looks very good, well done. Lacking a bit in content but overall looks excellent. I'm sure you know yourself one or two areas that can be improved but overall im impressed

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 53 ✭✭Student007

Thanks for the feedback! :)

Advertisement