Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car Insurance (spouse rule)

• 21-03-2013 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hey guys.

I'm a 20 year old student in NUI Galway.

I want to insure a car.

Audi A4 1.9 TDI 2002.

The thing is, it's going to cost a lot to get insured on my own policy.

A friend mentioned how I could say that my mothers, 1.2 Punto is mine. I could get a policy on that cheap enough.

While my mother could say the Audi is hers, and take her policy out on it.

Then they said there is a spouse rule, which means any spouse with their own policy can drive other spouses car.

Would this work?

Or if not, could I get insured as a named driver on the Audi. basically "fronting" but not quite.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

To get cheaper insurance you are going to marry your mother?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭com1

Smells like fraud to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

To be insured as a policy holder on a car you need to have an insurable interest in the car.

In plain english that means that the car has to be registered in the policy holders name.

So you'd have to reregister your mother as the owner of your car and reregister yourself as the owner of her car.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 12322911

Thanks, Would it be worth doing?

12322911 wrote: »

I think they charge to reregister a car owner so it could probably work cheaper and with less hassle to just pay for your own insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

Your Ma is not your spouse.

Your Ma is not your spouse.

Yeah the spouse rule only works for a married couple, doesn't apply for family relations I'm afraid...

I know my sister can drive my mothers car for free because she has her own policy on her car.

If this wont work is there any other way to make it a bit cheaper?

My son and my husband are named drivers on my insurance. I had to have the car ownership in my name. It makes it a LOT cheaper that way. Be honest about your status, ie a student, your mums occupation, etc. You may even get a discount if more than one family car is with the same company. The car is my sons, by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

Would it be fraud??

Insuring a primary primary driver and naming a secondary one, just to avoid the higher premium the second person would attract?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭marcus2000

Then they said there is a spouse rule, which means any spouse with their own policy can drive other spouses car.

I work in Insurance, and have never heard of the 'spouse rule'. You can get Insured and Spouse cover which means the spouse (who is named on the policy) will be covered. However, you have to be married to the Policyholder, and your name will be recorded as the named driver.

If you name your mother on your policy, you will probably knock a few quid off the price (not much since the gender ruling though).

Yeah insurance premiums are calculated based on perceived risk. Anything that you can do to lower this perceived risk should theoretically reduce the premium that you pay.

Thanks for the replies everyone,

I just did an online quote with britton insurance. It was less then 2 grand which is to be expected.

That was only fire and theft. I'd say it will work out dearer than the quote suggests though.

Thanks for the replies everyone,

I just did an online quote with britton insurance. It was less then 2 grand which is to be expected.

That was only fire and theft. I'd say it will work out dearer than the quote suggests though.

You need to ring them. Defo ring a few brokers....Each broker may have a deal / agreed discount with insurer, so you will get varying prices. Plus the brokers will know the best ways of reducing the premium!!

Thanks Marcus :)

I didn't have to pay anything to re register the car in my name.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I know my sister can drive my mothers car for free because she has her own policy on her car.

If this wont work is there any other way to make it a bit cheaper?

Experience

I have my licence longer then her, just cause shes a girl, she can get away with cheap insurance :P

I have my licence longer then her, just cause shes a girl, she can get away with cheap insurance :P

Have you got any no claims bonus though?

yeah 2 years

• Advertisement

yeah 2 years

That probably explains why your mother's quotes seem so much cheaper than your own.

With 2 years NCB you get a 20% discount.

I'm guessing your mother has 5 years NCB which gets her a 50% discount.

Were you named on any insurance policies before you started on your own policy? Some insurers allow you to use your named driving experience and your NCB to get yourself a higher discount.

Since December, Insurance companies can't rate on Gender, so males and females are priced the same!! :D No more cheap insurance for Girls!!!

P_1 wrote: »
    That probably explains why your mother's quotes seem so much cheaper than your own.

With 2 years NCB you get a 20% discount.

I'm guessing your mother has 5 years NCB which gets her a 50% discount.

Were you named on any insurance policies before you started on your own policy? Some insurers allow you to use your named driving experience and your NCB to get yourself a higher discount.

I was insured with Aviva and FBD they said the no claims bonus carried through

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

My son and my husband are named drivers on my insurance. I had to have the car ownership in my name. It makes it a LOT cheaper that way. Be honest about your status, ie a student, your mums occupation, etc. You may even get a discount if more than one family car is with the same company. The car is my sons, by the way.

Wait until there is a claim. If the insurer realises that the reputed owner of the car is not the main driver they will repudiate liability. Many people have been caught by this. If a son drvies a car all of the time, which car is registered and insured by a parent and crashes, the parent can be sued bu the insurance company for the amount of the payout. Family homes have been lost this way.

Kosseegan wrote: »
    Wait until there is a claim. If the insurer realises that the reputed owner of the car is not the main driver they will repudiate liability. Many people have been caught by this. If a son drvies a car all of the time, which car is registered and insured by a parent and crashes, the parent can be sued bu the insurance company for the amount of the payout. Family homes have been lost this way.
    We both drive the car equal amount of time. I sold mine in order to be able to afford keeping his on the road.

Advertisement