Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New claim for SW and rent allowance

• 21-03-2013 5:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there,
    Am really unsure about how to go about finding permanent accommodation and making a new claim for social welfare at the same time and would appreciate some good advice. I've just moved back to Ireland from the UK.

I made an enquiry about this with Intreo last week and they said in order to get social welfare I have to have a permanent address but I don't have this yet.

I want to get rent allowance as well and don't have enough to pay for a deposit and a month's rent outright in advance, so how do I get a place to live in order to get social welfare?

I'm hoping to find a landlord willing to wait a week or two for their money but that might be tricky.

What are my options?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Hi there, I've just gone through the same thing. Moved back from the UK in September. I have only just had my jobseekers sorted as I needed to prove habitual residence and only now can I start looking for somewhere to live as I had to go on the housing list.
    I am staying on my sisters sofa so prepare for a long and gruelling affair. You will need to prove you do not own property in the UK so you will need to write to the land registry (UK) and get proof from them. Ring them up and they will let you know which form to fill in which will also have to be notarised and you will have to send in a passport picture of yourself taken in the past 6 months.
    I would sign on as soon as possible and get forms into the council as soon as possible.

With regards to help with deposit and months rent in advance, I'm afraid I can't help you as its something I'm looking into myself. All my savings that I had for my deposit etc have been spent supporting myself while my dole was being sorted. As my claim was constantly being stopped because of the amount of information I had to supply so also don't know if I will get backdated.

Oh and I had issues myself and got some great advice in here not least given these guys contact details. They were brilliant and informative. http://www.inou.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Hi there,
    Am really unsure about how to go about finding permanent accommodation and making a new claim for social welfare at the same time and would appreciate some good advice. I've just moved back to Ireland from the UK.

I made an enquiry about this with Intreo last week and they said in order to get social welfare I have to have a permanent address but I don't have this yet.

I want to get rent allowance as well and don't have enough to pay for a deposit and a month's rent outright in advance, so how do I get a place to live in order to get social welfare?

I'm hoping to find a landlord willing to wait a week or two for their money but that might be tricky.

What are my options?

You will not be able to claim rent supplement until you have been renting for 6 months

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/rent_supplement.html

I would suggest going to a local community welfare office to see if they can help you with a deposit

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement