Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for Medicine in the UK: A Comprehensive Guide

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

Some very interesting stats from Oxford there.

I would imagine that plenty of people will use these stats to choose to apply for subjects where there are fewer applicants and greater chance of an offer

Also interesting that two Irish people who were offered places did not accept.
    I'd love to know their reasons after going through the whole process. Interviews etc.

While it's certainly the case that Medicine, Law, Economics & Management, etc, are much over-subscribed and therefore likely to be more difficult in which to get an offer, the stats say nothing of the calibre of applicants. Classics, for instance, has the highest acceptance-rate (fewest applicants per place) of all the courses, yet those who apply are likely to have come from private schools and will certainly have studied either Latin or Greek (and often both).

Just to clarify slightly, at least twenty of those who applied with LC were not Irish. That number could rise if there were Irish people who applied from another country. To give an example, one Irish person who received an offer last year was not domiciled in Ireland. As an aside, the number of offers fluctuates greatly: last year, of the eighty people who applied from Ireland, three received offers.

I can think of three reasons for rejecting: 1) they'd applied for medicine in Ireland, and a different course in the UK, and, having got the necessary points, decided to do the former; 2) they'd also received offers from US unis; 3) Oxford "wasn't for them" (!).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Oxford "wasn't for them" (!)

Love it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Nocofee

Can you repeat the leaving cert and do medicine in the uk based on new results, granted you take the various aptitude tests?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Nocofee wrote: »
    Can you repeat the leaving cert and do medicine in the uk based on new results, granted you take the various aptitude tests?

Check out each university individually. But most do not accept repeat results.
    Some don't even accept LC results at all

• Registered Users Posts: 4 newholland10

I have been offered a place this year at Queens,Belfast to study medicine.

Would appreciate any help with the move.

I am from ROI also.

Thankks a mill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭WorthlessPeon

I have been offered a place this year at Queens,Belfast to study medicine.

Would appreciate any help with the move.

I am from ROI also.

Thankks a mill.

What was the grade requirements if you don't mind me asking?

Advertisement