Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

€43,000 dole fraud woman gets week to pay it all back

• 21-03-2013 6:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭

Good to see her brought to court but how in the hell was she able to pay it back so fast!!?
    Ralph Riegel – 21 March 2013

A woman who fraudulently claimed more than €43,000 in dole payments has been allowed a week to repay all the money involved.

Sibyl Montague (33) appeared before Cork District Court as Judge Leo Malone was told that, if he agreed to adjourn the matter for seven days, the entire sum involved would be repaid.

Montague, of Cois Coillte, Tivoli, Cork, pleaded guilty to a total of 17 charges brought following an investigation into the claiming of jobseekers' allowance payments.

She was arrested last Thursday and pleaded guilty to all 17 charges on her first court appearance.

The initial charge outlined that, over a three-month period from July 1, 2008, she stole property, namely a jobseekers' allowance payment of €2,495.42, from the Department of Social Protection.

This was claimed from the department's offices at Hanover Street in Cork.

The next 15 charges outlined similar payment claims over a three-month period, all involving a sum of €2,495.42.

The 17th charge outlined the claim of an amount of €3,743 for a three-month period ending in October 2012.

The total amount referred to across the 17 charges is €43,669.72. Most of the money has already been repaid.

Defence counsel Joe Cuddigan asked Judge Malone to adjourn the matter until March 27.

"We can confirm at that stage that all monies involved have been repaid," he said.

Judge Malone was told by Insp Dermot O'Connor that the State had no objection, and he adjourned the matter until next week.

The court previously heard that the DPP indicated the matter can be dealt with at District Court level if there was a guilty plea.

Otherwise, the matter would have to be dealt with by judge and jury in Cork Circuit Criminal Court.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I wouldn't have given her a week

She knew what she was at

To jail with you woman !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

vicwatson wrote: »

She knew what she was at

To jail with you woman !

Yet the real swindlers who stole millions remain free, very consistent!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Certainly concerning if she can pay it back that quick,
    Thing is, other then paying it back what else does she get? Any jail time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Stinicker wrote: »

I'll give them a week to pay it back as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

She should be getting a visit from the Revenue if she pays it back just like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

She is a real swindler like it or not, she stole from the taxpayers of this country.

To jail with those that stole millions too (whoever they are you refer to)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

She should still do time, if thats the normal sentencing. I mean if I rob a post office I dont get off the charge if I give the money back.

(Though the gardai dont give it back either, seemingly!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

They need to bring an eazy-payment scheme for this kind of thing ........otherwise the jails won't be able to cope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Cabaal wrote: »
    Certainly concerning if she can pay it back that quick,
    Thing is, other then paying it back what else does she get? Any jail time?

Read on another forum that her family are not short of a bob or two....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

People are often jailed for less, I think she got away lightly, even more suspect that she could pay it in the week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Must we hear the banks in every thread?

she stole 43k, she deserves prison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

"It's ok if I kill someone because that guy killed five people and got away with it."

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Vandekyrian

she'll have to call it 'the stole' now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

vicwatson wrote: »

She knew what she was at

To jail with you woman !

That'll cost even more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Family probably are paying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Family probably are paying it.

Yep, that's the word on the street in Cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

What a coincidence - I just sent the exact same amount of money €43,000 to my brand new internet girlfriend in Cork so she can leave her old life and move in with me.

But her name is 'Sybil' not 'Sibyl'.
    Phew !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

That'll cost even more
    What you suggest so?
    Death penalty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

It says in the OP that most of the money has already been paid back. Sure, she is good for the rest like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,645 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

They should also be in jail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Did anyone actually read it? :P

It says most has been paid back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Did anyone actually read it? :P

It says most has been paid back!

So she still stole it in the first place. Garlic man also paid it back and still got 6 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭jonsnow

Another dole fraud case. About all the much vaunted Fraud squad are good for it appears.Anything more complicated than dole fraud or an An Post compulsive gambler robbing cash or some old dear acting Treasurer ripping off the local charity seems beyond them I,m afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

What you suggest so?
    Death penalty?

I dunno, i'm just stating facts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭james142

It properly cost more than what she took to run the investigations and hold the case against her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

james142 wrote: »
    It properly cost more than what she took to run the investigations and hold the case against her

She should be made pay costs aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

She paid it all back promptly, with a Bank of Cyprus cheque.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

james142 wrote: »

That doesn't mean that it wasn't worth pursuing her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Deport her after her jail term

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭I Luv Crysis

This should return the country to economic stability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

So the more you steal..the more you are less likely to be put into jail. Well that makes sense...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,511 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

jonsnow wrote: »
    Another dole fraud case. About all the much vaunted Fraud squad are good for it appears.Anything more complicated than dole fraud or an An Post compulsive gambler robbing cash or some old dear acting Treasurer ripping off the local charity seems beyond them I,m afraid.

They are not the only crew in town. The Revenue Commissioners Defaulters Lists are very revealing.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/five-1m-settlements-in-defaulter-list-1.1318300

http://www.revenue.ie/en/press/defaulters/index.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    "It's ok if I kill someone because that guy killed five people and got away with it."
    Meanwhile, its the complete opposite for the bankers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭jonsnow

They are not the only crew in town. The Revenue Commissioners Defaulters Lists are very revealing.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/five-1m-settlements-in-defaulter-list-1.1318300

http://www.revenue.ie/en/press/defaulters/index.html

The Revenue are by some large measure the most impressive and effective Government body.They are incredibly professional and thorough. The Criminal Assets Bureau (largely staffed by Revenue) is also very impressive.The Fraud squad are not impressive- they have 2 (civilian) accountants to cover the entire country.The gardai should have recruited far more accountants or should train more up. You need skilled white collar cops to take down skilled white collar criminals.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 397 ✭✭welkin

Her dad is the famous poet John Montague.

he must have lend her a few quid to pay it back.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Montague_(poet)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Meh,she's paid it back and will have a fraud conviction to her name,can't see the point in jailing her tbh.Will just end up costing the state more money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

Montague?! trying to pronounce it gives me fatigue, isn't she the french movie star.

for her eccentric name alone they should shepard sybil to the cells.. sibyl.... montaaaague.....,

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'm not sure at what point a jail sentence should become mandatory. hat's the cap you let people off at?

Advertisement