Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Life in Dublin vs. Cork

• 21-03-2013 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi, i'm currently in 6th year in school in Cork and am trying to decide whether to to go to UCC in Cork or UCD in Dublin. People in Cork have said UCC is excellent and a good night life but i would love to know what Dublin is like. I've been living in cork for the last 17 years and really love it here but I would love to know is it worth while going to Dublin for college and getting the proper experience? If anyone could could offer some thought it would be much appreciated. Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

Hi, i'm currently in 6th year in school in Cork and am trying to decide whether to to go to UCC in Cork or UCD in Dublin. People in Cork have said UCC is excellent and a good night life but i would love to know what Dublin is like. I've been living in cork for the last 17 years and really love it here but I would love to know is it worth while going to Dublin for college and getting the proper experience? If anyone could could offer some thought it would be much appreciated. Thanks :)

I went to both and in my opinion Cork is better. A lot of students in Dublin tend to be from Dublin so they commute to college and with the price of taxis home they can't go out as frequently as students in Cork since Cork is smaller (can sometimes walk home) and taxis and living expenses are cheaper. My 2c.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

I'm not sure there's any nightclubs or shops in Cork, so you should probably go to Dublin. I don't think they've got any public transport down there either which is a hindrance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

0mega wrote: »
    I'm not sure there's any nightclubs or shops in Cork, so you should probably go to Dublin. I don't think they've got any public transport down there either which is a hindrance.

Cork has all of those things ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭shawki

Have you ever been to cork...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Perhaps this is why you should avoid being satirical in essays. :L

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Slow Show wrote: »
    Perhaps this is why you should avoid being satirical in essays. :L

I thought it was funny, and I'm from the countryside. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Galway! ;):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

The haystacks in the middle of the streets boreens can be a nuisance too, not to mention the goats bleating at night can keep you awake! ;)

(I suspect your comment was tongue-in-cheek; I definitely hope so! :P )
    I understand that it can be exciting to go away to college rather than living at home, and indeed for some people it can be a catalyst which helps them to become more mature and independent. But be aware also that for others they can find themselves homesick and isolated and hating their course when they might have enjoyed the same course in their local college.

And Dublin isn't any more the "proper experience" than Cork is; it probably has more options in terms of social life, but remember it's also more expensive, things are further apart, etc. etc. Some people love the "big" city (ok, it's not big in global terms, but ...); some people hate it.

What do you want to do? Is the course you really want to do only available in Dublin? Now, that would be a good reason for taking the plunge ...

What about finances? It will be a lot more costly to move away from home to college. At a rough estimate, probably about €4,000 a year extra for three years. That €12,000 would pay for a masters / postgraduate course ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I thought it was funny, and I'm from the countryside. :p

I was mainly referring to it going over heads. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Miller_steww

The course I want to do is Engineering of some sort which is available in both colleges so it's just a matter of choice which college to go for. Most of the people in my school want to go to Dublin too so finding friends to stay in contact with shouldn't be a problem. I'm a big sporting person so that would influence my choice too. I just don't know whether it would be worth while spending more money each year in Dublin when i could get just as good in Cork for less you know?!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Dublin isn't that expensive. A night out is about €5 for pre drinks, €2 for the bus(most people have a student ticket for the week) and usually free into a club with guest list. A taxi can be cheap enough if you get a 6 seater home so like €3-5 per person max. So a night out costs about €12-15. Not many of the friends drink in clubs. They just go hard on the bus.

Obviously rent will be more expensive in Dublin but student accomadation more expensive than ucc. Food is probably cheaper( supermarkets are the same prices everywhere and you can get a decent meal for €5 in some restaurants).

I think Dublin except rent is far cheaper than other parts of Ireland if you shop smart. But if you stay in cork will you have as much freedom as you would in Dublin. In Dublin you'll be just one in 1,5 million rather than Tom O Shea from Douglas that everyone knows you and your family.

Also ucd facilities are extremely impressive

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

Limerick ..

I've done all 3 lol..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭user.name

I can be biased in saying I love dublin nightlife... which isn't really a good thing while in 6th year :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Colinoneill

user.name wrote: »
    I can be biased in saying I love dublin nightlife... which isn't really a good thing while in 6th year :P

You rebel :o

Tbh nightlife will be just as good as long as you're with cool people. I'd base my decision on the college and course.

Advertisement