Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

more advice on new job

Options
  • 21-03-2013 6:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭

posted here before and got some good advice so here is another question- any advice appreciated.

I was dropping something into another office at my work today and the person there was very rude to me so again I am wondering if I did something wrong. Was dropping something off into an office at work as the office happened to be on my way out - I was clocked out and heading home. This is a public office which staff and members of the public use. There is a counter and then the office staff are seated in desks behind the counter.

So I approached the counter and there was a woman at her desk at the far end of the office. I dont know her and she doesnt know me. I introduced myself and said that I was dropping off what I was dropping off etc. Without getting up from her chair and approaching me she said "well this needs goes in this pile over there...and this goes in that pile over there" bascially expecting me to sort it out for her. I was a bit shocked to be honest by her attitude and just said that I was leaving it on the counter and I left.

I work in a public office myself and I would never start speaking with a customer even if they are staff while sitting at my desk....I would approach the counter. I also wouldnt ask someone to sort out my own work for without even moving from my chair.

Was I wrong

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I don't think you were wrong, but I don't think she was very rude - lazy maybe, or unprofessional but I doubt it's anything to do with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

I think that you were wrong....

It sounds like you have not been in this job for long and have not done this task before. This would have been a good opportunity to start building a relationship with this woman. Even if it was not "your job" it would not have killed you to sort them out,it would have defined you in her eyes as helpful, that you would complete a task even if you were on your way home.

I don't want to seam mean, but from your description, it is hard to see who was rude an lazy, her or you...
    • Perhaps the person that normally drops the documents down to that area also sorts them out into the different piles for the lady.
    • Perhaps she was new too and did not know whose job it was to sort the files.
    • Perhaps she was sore an tired after a long day.
    • Perhaps she was busy at her desk completing a task, you on the other hand were not busy working, you are already standing by the piles and you had the documents in your hands.

"I was a bit shocked to be honest by her attitude " You shock very easily :)

Obviously I don't have much information to go on, but I do think you were wrong:mad: from the information that you provided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭nicearbhaill

I see your point but just for your info while I dont know the lady as I have never spoken to her she is not new and has been there quite a while.

While I dont know if she if she was busy she didnt seem busy - noone else in the office, no phones ringing and no other staff around nor customers at the counter. The person who normally drops the stuff into the office is a porter and they definitely dont sort anything.

While I agree I was not busy working..I was clocked out and on my way home (in the rain). Coat and hat was on and all my bags with me. I dont think I mentioned anything about it "not being my job". I would have helped if she asked me too but she never budged from her chair in an attempt to even do it.

When I say I was shocked trust me I dont shock easily. I was shocked because, as I said, I work in a public office myself and staff and the public approach the counter for assistance. You get up and talk to them...never sit at your desk and start a conversation from there.

Interesting to hear your point of view -:)

Advertisement