Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb an alternative to Ripplecom?

• 21-03-2013 7:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

I'm desperate to find an alternative to Ripplecom who disappoint in so many ways. I saw this add on Speedtest.net

http://www.digiweb.ie/business/products/connectivity/broadband/satellite/index.html

The down and up speeds are far in excess of what Ripplecpm offer but the monthly cap is poor. Although i could probably make good use of the unlimited night allowance. I just don't know how reliable this digiweb service is. Anyone used it or heard anything about it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Satellite is not broadband, it is unsuitable for lots of things, anything in real time, like gaming. Then it has pitiful limits so you really have to limit your use of it. It should be the last gasp option after all other avenues have been explored. Avoid it, your Ripplecom is better, no matter how poor it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

SB2013 wrote: »
    I'm desperate to find an alternative to Ripplecom who disappoint in so many ways. I saw this add on Speedtest.net

http://www.digiweb.ie/business/products/connectivity/broadband/satellite/index.html

The down and up speeds are far in excess of what Ripplecpm offer but the monthly cap is poor. Although i could probably make good use of the unlimited night allowance. I just don't know how reliable this digiweb service is. Anyone used it or heard anything about it?

HI

Where about in Ireland are you. You may well be in an area covered by Digiweb's Metro fixed wireless service or more localized companies other than Ripplecom, thus removing the satellite option altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

SB2013 wrote: »

2 tins cans and a loud voice are better than satellite...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SB2013

bealtine wrote: »
    2 tins cans and a loud voice are better than satellite...

Speedtest results on Friday.

Ping: 98
    Download 0.17
    Upload 0.58

That should be an 8mb download and 1 upload on one of the low contention lines (business rate). It was 5.75mb and 17 ping on Thursday. Their excuse? Contention. In itself a ridiculous claim.

The real kicker is that I had the exact same issue two months ago. Apparently the mast had been damaged over the weekend of the bad storms. I rang up Monday morning to inform them of the connection issue as i had been reduced to 1mb. They weren't aware of the mast trouble at that time so they tried to switch me to a different connection, they call them buckets. This resulted in my connection being reduced to practically nothing. I rang them up again to tell them it was worse and could they reverse what they had done. They flat out refused to consider any other possible cause other than the mast. 7 days later when it was fixed and I still had no connection they sent an engineer. He came out and said. "You are on a dead line". He switched me to another "bucket" and all was good.

I think that's what annoys me most. The person on the phone seems to have no clue what they are talking about yet still speaks to you like you are the idiot. So now I have an issue where they won't even look at any potential causes other than contention until they put up a new mast in a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Fixed wireless is good.

Even midband mobile is generally better than Satellite.

I've had experience of both in a rural area. O2's outperformed the Satellite connection substantially.

Was actually competitive with what we get off Eircom (even ping wise, was able to play games online with it on Pc with ping time constantly displayed in TF2).

But that is because we were in a rural area and O2 were most expensive and had a mast a mile away from the house.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SB2013

thebman wrote: »
    Fixed wireless is good.

Even midband mobile is generally better than Satellite.

I've had experience of both in a rural area. O2's outperformed the Satellite connection substantially.

Was actually competitive with what we get off Eircom (even ping wise, was able to play games online with it on Pc with ping time constantly displayed in TF2).

But that is because we were in a rural area and O2 were most expensive and had a mast a mile away from the house.

No fixed here. It was something I checked on before buying the house but Eircom lied about it being available in the area.

EDIT: Sorry misread your post. Thought you were talking about cable broadband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭skintiam

I'm with digiweb a few weeks now and I'm happy so far. I have their dsl broadband. I didn't have or ever have a phone line and they activate that for free so you only pay the monthly amount, no set up fees. The speeds are very consistent my ping is between 26 and 46 download just over 7 and upload 0.4, the download allowance is 350gb.

Advertisement