Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I did the right thing... Didn't I??

Options
  • 21-03-2013 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I need some advice regarding a wierd situation that happened a few weeks ago.

A manager in the place I work informally offered me a "promotion" but told me that there is nothing he can do for me wages wise.

The head managers don't actually know he did this and i was told not to say anything to anyone as he had to speak to the head managers to see if they would be happy for me to move to a different position. I've been working there 4 years and I've never had a review, or a pay rise due to the company not doing well financially (I am totally fine with that in this economic climate - happy to just have a job)

I told him I would think about it only due to his persistance but I had already made my mind up at that point. So he rang me the other day and asked me what I thought and straight away I said that I had thought about it and I felt it would not benefit me in any way and politely i declined his offer. Well, he sat in silence on the phone for about 15 seconds and left me awkwardly on the other end until I said helloooo?

He wasn't impressed that I turned it down and he asked why. So i explained that I would not benefit from this "promotion" and I am happy where I am, and I also mentioned that if I am not getting a pay rise especially after working there for 4 years WHY would I accept the job of more work and more hours. That's ludicrous! He also said a very smart comment asking "am I happy to be stuck where I am for the next 10 years" so I lost my cool and pointed out that it was actually none of his business where I would be NEXT year, never mind in 10 years? Couldn't believe he said that!!

He then proceeds to say he MIGHT be able to get me a rise, he has to speak to higher management first and said he needs an answer from me first.... Might aswell add that this dude is a total bullsh*tter in day to day work.

Am I being crazy here? I did the right thing didn't I? I'm starting to over think it all and now I don't know if I should have just said yes?

Help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭king size mars bar

your boss sounds like a right tool, for what its worth you did right!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I think if you got a promotion you might be better able to find a better job with more money somewhere else
    so I lost my cool and pointed out that it was actually none of his business where I would be NEXT year
    You really said this to a manager in your company? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Joe Hart

You played it perfectly. You kept your dignity and didn't accept his bull****. Its the people that take the **** that get nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭DeltaWhite

your boss sounds like a right tool, for what its worth you did right!

Should have added he's not my boss but if I was to take this position he would become my boss. Also told me one of my roles would be to come to client meetings and "just sit there looking pretty"

WTF!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Joe Hart

DeltaWhite wrote: »
    Should have added he's not my boss but if I was to take this position he would become my boss. Also told me one of my roles would be to come to client meetings and "just sit there looking pretty"

WTF!!

Sounds like sexual harassment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭king size mars bar

Joe Hart wrote: »
    Sounds like sexual harassment.
    his name was'nt David Brent by any chance?

bluewolf wrote: »
    I think if you got a promotion you might be better able to find a better job with more money somewhere else

You really said this to a manager in your company? :confused:

I can totally see your point which is why I'm torn with my decision!

And yep I did :) he just continued to argue with me after that didn't seem bothered by my comment!

his name was'nt David Brent by any chance?

Hahaha I think I could actually stick him more than this dude!

If he goes back to the other managers saying you're not planning on sticking around / not committed you might find yourself not getting any other offers from them or other disadvantages
    I'd accept and immediately start looking elsewhere, particularly in light of his other comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,519 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I agree you did right, especially in view of the following conversation. If he goes talking about you, considering he is not your boss, he will have to admit he offered you an unapproved promotion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

If he goes back to the other managers saying you're not planning on sticking around / not committed you might find yourself not getting any other offers from them or other disadvantages
    I'd accept and immediately start looking elsewhere, particularly in light of his other comments.

I disagree with this.
    It's no harm to let your company know that you are not totally reliant on their employment.

Why should he accept this and look elsewhere? What if he wants to stay and likes he's current role?

There is nothing in it for you only more work and responsibility without remuneration and yes this guy does sound like a complete muppet.

Why should he accept this and look elsewhere? What if he wants to stay and likes he's current role?
    What if she doesn't like putting up with this muppet and sexual harassment and wants to leave?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

You behaved perfectly correctly, until a job is public it is nonexistant.

And if he behaves likes this to you when you don't report to him how will he behave when you do ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

OP - 4 yrs, no review and no pay rise. A manager who isn't your direct boss approaches you, without asking your boss's permission. He offes you a job-promotion that might/might not officially exist and there's no pay rise, but you're quite sure about extra hours.

Oh, and a part of this new 'job' is to sit at client-facing meetings to 'look pretty'.

I know things are tough out there, but if you're any good at your job, I'd be dusting off the CV pronto.

No disrespect to you at all - but I'd get the hell out of Dodge IIWY

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

What if she doesn't like putting up with this muppet and sexual harassment and wants to leave?

How did sexual harassment come into it?
    He/she doesn't want an unpaid unofficial promotion without remuneration. Simple as that really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

I want to offer a different point of view.

You have been in your current role for 4 years, comfortable, but no pay-rise or prospects of promotion that you mention. Another manager approaches you with an offer of another role. (He must see some benefit in having you working for him to approach you, so at least we can say that he has a high opinion of you.)

Also, it is not totally unusual that a hiring manager wold run a proposition like this move past a prospective hire before approaching management for confirmation that he has permission to create the roll or make the hire. For example he may have wanted to see if you were interested before mentioning it to your boss.

I once had a similar issue where I wanted to promote on of my team to supervisor, it took me close to a year to arrange for the title change and pay rise through corporate channels, the person took on the extra responsibility as soon as I asked as he saw it as a good career step and wanted the training. (The company actually back-dated his pay for the year once the promotion was approved:D)

I am not familiar with your industry,so I don't know the norms, but my take on his comment: "Also told me one of my roles would be to come to client meetings and "just sit there looking pretty" is a little different. In many jobs one of the best ways to learn is to observe more experience people doing the job. This is particularly true of customer facing roles where relationship management and sales skills are very hard to learn except through practice. As it is very expensive to let junior staff practice on real paying customers:), a "ride-along" is a normal enough way of introducing new people to customers and the norms of the way the company interacts with it's clients.

One question, If he is such a bull-sh1tter (which is often a requirement for some customer facing jobs :-)) ) why did you not refuse the offer clearly the first time? So, I am assuming that he is not a complete-slime-ball, that you would have considered the role if it had been posted on the company notice boards with a few extra $$.

I can understand your caution if you felt that he was not following the company process in offering you a job without approval. Was this a very different role from your current one?

Just consider that this may have been a genuine offer, he could have been working hard to bring your into his team as he saw you wasting potential in a dead-end roll, consider also that he may not have been able to do anything about the money until the next pay cycle, some companies do not allow out-of cycle pay increases.

Just think about this dispassionately and perhaps you may see a different perspective.

I want to offer a different point of view.

You have been in your current role for 4 years, comfortable, but no pay-rise or prospects of promotion that you mention. Another manager approaches you with an offer of another role. (He must see some benefit in having you working for him to approach you, so at least we can say that he has a high opinion of you.)

Also, it is not totally unusual that a hiring manager wold run a proposition like this move past a prospective hire before approaching management for confirmation that he has permission to create the roll or make the hire. For example he may have wanted to see if you were interested before mentioning it to your boss.

I once had a similar issue where I wanted to promote on of my team to supervisor, it took me close to a year to arrange for the title change and pay rise through corporate channels, the person took on the extra responsibility as soon as I asked as he saw it as a good career step and wanted the training. (The company actually back-dated his pay for the year once the promotion was approved:D)

I am not familiar with your industry,so I don't know the norms, but my take on his comment: [COLOR="green"]"Also told me one of my roles would be to come to client meetings and "just sit there looking pretty"[/COLOR] is a little different. In many jobs one of the best ways to learn is to observe more experience people doing the job. This is particularly true of customer facing roles where relationship management and sales skills are very hard to learn except through practice. As it is very expensive to let junior staff practice on real paying customers:), a "ride-along" is a normal enough way of introducing new people to customers and the norms of the way the company interacts with it's clients.

One question, If he is such a bull-sh1tter [COLOR="Green"](which is often a requirement for some customer facing jobs :-)) )[/COLOR] why did you not refuse the offer clearly the first time? So, I am assuming that he is not a complete-slime-ball, that you would have considered the role if it had been posted on the company notice boards with a few extra $$.

I can understand your caution if you felt that he was not following the company process in offering you a job without approval. Was this a very different role from your current one?

Just consider that this may have been a genuine offer, he could have been working hard to bring your into his team as he saw you wasting potential in a dead-end roll, consider also that he may not have been able to do anything about the money until the next pay cycle, some companies do not allow out-of cycle pay increases.

Just think about this dispassionately and perhaps you may see a different perspective.

Thank you for your comment and just to let everyone know I am really grateful for your opinions and advice, I respect all that has been said.

In the past there have been many SH incidents from this individual and I have kept a diary of those incidents. I have definitely gotten too comfortable in this job, I'm also very down-hearted about all the rejection letters and emails from jobs I've applied to. Haven't let it stop me from trying my best to gain new employment but it has knocked my confidence big time.
    He is a shady character and not one person likes him in the company. I have mentioned his behaviour to higher powers and I got the following: "ah sure, that's just his sense of humour"

So he really is a factor in why I don't want to take the position :(
    I am very much liked and appreciated in my job, and I do know that this individual only wants me to do the projects he is in charge of. So whilst I am happy that I am doing well performance wise in work, I don't feel that a promotion like the one I was offered is really worth all the effort I put in and crap I put up with! And the other half of me feels greedy and kind of like I am turning my nose up at a chance I might not get again.

Edit: how the hell could I even say I am appreciated in my job? I take that comment back!

Advertisement