Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows to Apple

• 21-03-2013 7:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭

thinking of buying a macbook pro or air for music recording etc

thing is , i also use torrents and i like the idea of using " right click save file as " and being able to search my laptop for said file

can i do this on macbook ??

how do you download a non apple / itunes file on the macbook ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

If you just click a download link it go's straight to your download folder as the filename, if you wanted to save it elsewhere or by a different name you can right click by using 2 fingers on the trackpad and selecting 'save link as'
    you can also set your downloads to Ask where to save each file before downloading from preferences within chrome/safari/etc.

searching for files in osx is far faster and easier than on a windows machine, this is done through Finder or Spotlight

not sure what you mean by non itunes/apple files, its the very same downloading any file as on a windows machine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭squonk

Don't know what you mean by Non Apple/itunes but the Mac has utilities for most things. It's got a built in PDF reader in Preview for instance. For torrents, Transmission is a good client on the Mac.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

thing is , i also use torrents and i like the idea of using " right click save file as " and being able to search my laptop for said file

Apple is a better OS than Windows and it has lots of ways to do this, including right click if you use a full button mouse. Also Command+click. Relax and go ahead with the MBP. You won't regret it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I think you're got some serious misconceptions about how OS X works. It's not just a big ipad. For all intents and purposes OS X is a modern operating system, just like Windows, but is typically much more refined and thought out. A lot of the new features we've seen added to Vista and 7 were poorly copied from OS X with little regard for their actual usage. It's also based on UNIX so you get a lot of the benefits entailed with that.

You can 'right click' to get a context menu for copy paste etc, as well as the usual keyboard short cuts as well as a lot more. The default setting is to click using tow fingers, however you can set it up so that you have active left and right click regions on the trackpad. The trackpad also lets you use multi finger gestures to navigate quickly through webpages, multiple desktops, apps etc with ease.

these have changed slightly in the latest version of OS X

OS X has a file browser called Finder, which is just like Explorer in Windows.
    It also has a search feature called Spotlight which leaves the Windows search tool in the dust.

There are torrent clients for OS X. You can play pretty much any music file in itunes or in pretty much any music player. You can install your favourite browser, such as Firefox and Chrome and browse and download files as you would on any computer. It's a normal computer, just a better built one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

cheers for that

im still thinking , i have a savage laptop at the min , just wondering how much id actually use it for the purpose i want to buy it for recording music

so can i justify spending €1500 + is the question

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

If you have a perfectly good machine at the moment, then no.
    Unless you need OS X specific software.

Advertisement