Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying my first E Cig

Options
  • 21-03-2013 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

Hi Guys ,

New to this side of Boards!

This is a question you have recieved a million times no doubt but I want to buy an electronic cigarette. A friend of mine had one last night , took a few pulls and I really couldnt not get over how similar it was!

From reading a lot of reviews I think the Kanger Twist Starter Kit is what I am going to go for , Im also sure this is the one my friend had

I just have a few questions I hope you dont mind. I Currently smoke 15-20 Silk Cut Choice a day , which are a menthol cig.

How often do the Clearomizers need to be changed? Am I correct in saying this is the clear bit in the middle with the 'Wick'?

Im very unsure of Liquids to use , this is where the taste/nicotine comes from. I would like a 'normal' tasting one and a menthol one. Im not really sure about these chocolate or varoius other flavours.

I understand its personal preference but can you please recommend?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

It's a screw-in head that needs to be changed in the clearos, not the whole thing. €2-€3 each.
    They last anywhere from a few days to weeks if you clean them regularly (boil wash/alcohol, dry).

Ezsmoke.ie's 1st Choice is really good and cig-like, but as you're at ESI the Cigarillos Naturales is fantastic.

Not sure about menthol ones, everyone goes bananas for Vampire Kiss but that's a strawberry menthol I think. There's an extreme menthol on ESI I think.

You'll succumb to tasty flavours soon, once your sense of taste comes back.

Edit: forgot, you'll be getting the sampler pack - I like the Honeywood Tobacco and the Virgnia Fire Cured for tobaccos.

Swedish Fish is very not-like a cigarette, but is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

For tobacco styled flavours hit the houseofliquid.com -

Cigarrillo Naturale and Cigar de Paris are both nice, the latter having a bit of an almond after taste but definitely close to tobacco besides. Both benefit from a steeping, leave them with the lids off in a cool, dry press for a couple of days at least.

http://www.bestecig.ie/e_liquid.html do a nice standard menthol, and RY4 is a nice tobacco alternative: everyone seems to get different after tastes on that one, I get a nutty taste on top of a slightly caramel tobacco. Others say it's a little fruity, I don't get that at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭decdev

grindle wrote: »
    It's a screw-in head that needs to be changed in the clearos, not the whole thing. €2-€3 each.
    They last anywhere from a few days to weeks if you clean them regularly (boil wash/alcohol, dry).

Ezsmoke.ie's 1st Choice is really good and cig-like, but as you're at ESI the Cigarillos Naturales is fantastic.

Not sure about menthol ones, everyone goes bananas for Vampire Kiss but that's a strawberry menthol I think. There's an extreme menthol on ESI I think.

You'll succumb to tasty flavours soon, once your sense of taste comes back.

Edit: forgot, you'll be getting the sampler pack - I like the Honeywood Tobacco and the Virgnia Fire Cured for tobaccos.

Swedish Fish is very not-like a cigarette, but is amazing.

i had a sample of the wingnuts extreme menthol and it was nice i have to say/also the nut juice was nice

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Vaperus

Liquids is a difficult one and the hardest part. Try lots of different flavours, when you find one you really like you wont even want to smoke as you will find vaping tastes much better

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Q_ueeny

Thank you all so much for the info and advice.

Im presuming the 11mg/24mg/12mg ect is the strenght of the liquid? or the nicotine? Again sorry for the silly questions! Again personal preference I supose.

I love my menthol's so this is really what I would be looking for , I like a strong methol flavour so am I correct in saying I should go for the highest mg here? Or is that how it works!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

I got the Kanger Twist starter kit a couple of weeks ago - it's great, and I've not actually had to replace any parts yet, although I've since bought a couple more clearos and some spare heads, plus a mini eGo battery for when I'm trying to be discreet (it makes the whole set up smaller). I have 3 clearos on the go at any given time though, each with a different flavour, so it's not like I'm using just one battery and one clearo all the time, I'm spreading the use. As far as juices go - I thought I'd want something that tasted like a cigarette, so got some RY4-A, The Anto Mix and Honey Wood as part of my starter pack (also Wingnuts Wibble and Vampires Kiss) - but it turns out I prefer dessert type flavours - the Select Chocolate Donut and Select Vanilla Custard from e-smokeireland are lovely.

My advice would be to get a good mix of flavours in your starter pack - maybe a couple of tobacco types, but don't be afraid to try others - maybe something fruity, something desserty and something mentholly. Menthol vaping is not a lot like menthol smoking - different taste and feel, I've found. I hate menthol cigs, but quite like a touch of menthol in a juice (as grindle mentioned, the Vampire's Kiss is a strawberry/raspberry/menthol blend). Shop around a bit too - some sites do sample packs of 3-5ml bottles of all their flavours - I wouldn't buy anything bigger than that until I was sure I liked the flavour. A lot of places offer same day dispatch, so you won't be left waiting with no juice.

If you don't like a juice the first time you try it, leave it a few days and try it again - in these early days of vaping I'm finding my tastes change almost daily, plus some juices benefit from some steeping time - the flavour changes and develops as the juice matures. Different flavours work at different times of the day - I like Cappuccino in the mornings, and the Chocolate Donut in the evenings, for example. I've heard others say that they like a tobacco taste first thing in the morning to replace that first cig of the day.

Also - have a think about what nicotine strength you want - I started on 18-20mg juices, but am now finding those too strong for the amount I want to vape - I end up with a dry mouth and a bit of a headache if I overdo it, so all my future orders will be at 12mg or lower. 15-20 Silk Cut a day is a lot less than I used to smoke (30 Mayfair dark blue superkings a day), so you might want to start at 12mg and see how you get on (maybe order 3 at 12mg and 2 at 20mg in your starter pack?).

Hope that helps - am still new and learning my way round all the terminology and equipment options. Lots of fun though!

The last few years I only smoked Silk cut blue, which were only 5mg [I think?] - I remember reading somewhere when I looked all this up that I should go for 9mg or thereabouts on the juices. But I often find the 11mg juice too light. I don't get the same throat hit I got from the smokes. Of course, there was whole lot more going on in a real cig. So I tend to opt for 18-24mg for satisfaction, if that helps? If you were on menthols, they probably weren't that strong? So it might take a bit of trial and error for you too.

Any of the starter kits will do the job. I got an Ego C kit and added in extra LCD batteries and Kanger clearomizers. I prefer to use those than the atomizers that come with the kit, the hit is definitely stronger. But I do use both. You can't really go wrong, I'd just suggest getting some extras while ordering. An extra battery, some extra atomizers and try a few 10ml juices to see what you like. Then go for a 30-50ml bottle of the nicest one for you.

I think I have about 400ml of juice already stocked :D I just wanted a taste of everything though.

Just to add, if you're going to order from thehouseofliquid.com - Make sure to sign up for their in_private club. You just email them after registering and they'll add you in. Once in, when ordering, you can add some free samples in there :) I just got some silverberry and Brasiliero 5ml each, for free when ordering a bottle of organic menthol.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭StickyIcky

Good luck Q_ueeny!

Try and convert your smoking friends! :)

Vaping is soooooooooo much better than smoking. You're gonna love it... then hate it... the love it again (hate when something breaks... buy spares)

What gets on my 'wick' [hur] is people who say to me "Ah sure ya don't need that stuff, just quit!" I seriously want to slap them. Not only would I go right back to the cig's if I wasn't vaping right now, but I also just enjoy this! Where's the harm? And then there's those that try tell you it's more harmful than smoking ... and can never back that claim up with any facts or apparent knowledge on vaping.

People just see something different, and it must be bad/wrong ... sigh.

There's not a hope in hell it's anywhere near as bad as smoking, and what we choose to do with our money and lungs and time, well, that's our business, I say! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

Totally agree with you Thecageyone - but then I'm a veteran of doing stuff that other people think will kill me 'cos they're not informed about it - have been on the Atkins diet for the past 7/8 months - gawd, you develop a thick skin! "Ah sure ya don't need that stuff, just quit!" is the equivalent of "eat less and exercise more" - which always seems to come from those who have never had a weight problem!

Since March 5th (when I switched to vaping) my cough is SO much better, my skin looks pinker and healthier and I feel great, plus I enjoy vaping, as opposed to smoking because I had to, not because I wanted to. I'm trying very hard not to become a vaping bore though - especially to my husband, who refuses to even try to make the transition to vaping, so am stuck in a stinky house still!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭StickyIcky

Darkginger wrote: »
    Totally agree with you Thecageyone - but then I'm a veteran of doing stuff that other people think will kill me 'cos they're not informed about it - have been on the Atkins diet for the past 7/8 months - gawd, you develop a thick skin! "Ah sure ya don't need that stuff, just quit!" is the equivalent of "eat less and exercise more" - which always seems to come from those who have never had a weight problem!

Since March 5th (when I switched to vaping) my cough is SO much better, my skin looks pinker and healthier and I feel great, plus I enjoy vaping, as opposed to smoking because I had to, not because I wanted to. I'm trying very hard not to become a vaping bore though - especially to my husband, who refuses to even try to make the transition to vaping, so am stuck in a stinky house still!

Have you tried giving him various tobacco eliquid to try?

He may change tune in a year or so.

I have to say, I'm guilty of doing that. My missus gave up smoking for 9 weeks last year, while I continued to puff away. I only ever smoked in one area of the house, I hate the smell of stale smoke myself. But it didn't help her, and she went back on them. This time I was the one who decided I had enough of the fags, and she decided to join me. If only I'd done that last year when she wanted to ... but, it's never too late.

I am at the stage where I can't stand the smell of the cig's now, which is great! Makes it much easier resist.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭superneat

grzesss wrote: »
    Hi

I open shop
    please come visit my shop
    thank you please

:pac:

Advertisement