Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home economics 2013 predictions

• 21-03-2013 8:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭

So my teacher said she heard that the microwave was predicted to come up this year?? On the last years predictions thread I saw most of the home ec predictions were right so I'm just wondering does any one else know of predictions that are for the 2013 exam? :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

Home ec is not a subject that you can predict , it doesn't have a pattern so please just learn the whole course :) you can focus on fat/lipids for the question 1 but do everything

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Peaceoutdude

Anyone have any predictions? I would love to get a B1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭ynwa14

For those doing Social Studies as their elective, apparently poverty is tipped as one of the choices seeing as its topical - which is handy enough! Also, something regarding nutritional guidelines and meal planning/food pyramid is bound to come up in Section B, what with the introduction of omega 3s on the pyramid and stuff.

Home Ec being so varied its a total /b/ to even try and predict, let alone cover everything. Noticed that they tend not to repeat year to year on HL anyway, so target last years long qs as contenders for short questions and vice versa. But that's just my method when I'm tryna single out stuff to learn!

Thank you, I am doing the housing elective :( really wish I did the social elective as marriage and family would be my favourite question.

Social Elective is really easy! So much of it is common sense and its almost easier than what would come up in Section B. Almost dont have to study it, just practice questions. :D

Which is good, because studying everything in food commodities.... shudders.

• Advertisement

You are sooooo Lucky.. :/ wish I could do it. :( aaa well.. shame.. do you have any tips on how to go about the short questions?

Do you have a workbook with your home ec book? We use Lifelines which has one and theres an endless amount of short qs so those as well as doing past papers is probably the best way to prepare - obviously they're taken from all parts of the course and they could ask anything so just practice is my method unfortunatly :(

I failed at Christmas and ended up getting a B3 in the mocks and that was with leaving out a lot of short questions because I simply didn't know them. If I'd gotten the marks for that section, I would have had the grade I'm aiming for in the LC. So they're worth doing well.

When actually doing the paper though, we've been advised not to start with the short questions - leave them until last, you're less likely to panic and think you dont know them once you've spewed out all your knowledge in the long answers!

We use the book called living today it's really bad.. :/ haha I just passed my mock and I got a C1 in another mock paper recently. I would love to do well in Home economics its not a very hard subject.
    Yes, Thats very true the short questions are pretty scary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

We use the book called living today it's really bad.. :/ haha I just passed my mock and I got a C1 in another mock paper recently. I would love to do well in Home economics its not a very hard subject.
    Yes, Thats very true the short questions are pretty scary

I don't mean to be rude but i don't understand how you say home ec is not a very hard subject and yet you just passed the mock and got a C1 i think people definitely underestimate the time you need to put into home ec and its often harder than people think

aimzLc2 wrote: »
    I don't mean to be rude but i don't understand how you say home ec is not a very hard subject and yet you just passed the mock and got a C1 i think people definitely underestimate the time you need to put into home ec and its often harder than people think

I think they just meant that in comparison to other subjects, theres not a lot of understanding, just a lot of learning which obviously takes time considering how vast the course is - but the actual material isnt the hardest to grasp.

• Advertisement

It would be a lot easier then most other subjects as a lot of it is exam structure and common sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

Home Ec in my opinion is one of the hardest leaving cert subjects, and I got an A2 (89%) in the mock. The journal is an absolute annoyance to complete and there is so much theory to learn it's ridiculous. I don't understand how anyone could possibly say Home Ec is easy to do considering the amount of knowledge you're expected to learn and understand!

My teacher did our journal all wrong. I had to get grinds after the mocks and my Class teacher never finished the course.If I didn't get grinds I would be screeeeeeeeewed... because of grinds I don't find it as hard I feel there is ALOT more in biology to learn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

What main topics are people focusing on besides Lipids?

I know it's an unpredictable subject but to lead my study in some direction and make sure I've things fully revised anyway just in case :P

Marriage hasnt come up in a while, would be worth looking at

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

Wouldn't be surprised seeing a question on microbiology as it hasn't been up in a while :)

Oops I forgot that section existed. Which is unfortunate since we never covered it. Oh well

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭lennyloulou

Long Questions- sensory analysis, small appliance with motor, marriage, microbiology, something on consumers/retail outlets, insurance
    Long Question- Q1- Fats/margarine/over use of fats/butter/cream
    - Vit E and K
    - Eggs/Vit D/properties of fats/emulsifiers
    - Calcium/osteoporosis/vit D
    - Fibre/cereals/ bowel disorders/malnutrition
    Elective-poverty, education, special needs education/employment, unemployment, MABS, IDA, Enterprise Ireland, VTOS/PLC Courses

They seem accurate, similar to mock have you any idea what is due up on housing elective :)

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭lennyloulou

no we didn't do it

• Advertisement

What might they ask on microbiology? Whats the typical format of those questions I'm freaking about it cause we've never done it :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3 coolmamos

hopefully lipids eggs calcium obesity fibre resource management/consumer studies/ household appliances.... and the social elective = work poverty umeployment!!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Bonbon1995

Long Questions- sensory analysis, small appliance with motor, marriage, microbiology, something on consumers/retail outlets, insurance
    Long Question- Q1- Fats/margarine/over use of fats/butter/cream
    - Vit E and K
    - Eggs/Vit D/properties of fats/emulsifiers
    - Calcium/osteoporosis/vit D
    - Fibre/cereals/ bowel disorders/malnutrition
    Elective-poverty, education, special needs education/employment, unemployment, MABS, IDA, Enterprise Ireland, VTOS/PLC Courses
    Hey, just a guess or ju go to a grinds school?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

Bonbon1995 wrote: »
    Hey, just a guess or ju go to a grinds school?

I think that's a teacher! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Bonbon1995

I think that's a teacher! :)
    Oh flip -_-.. haha.. im literally leaving half the course out.. I need a b3 :(((((((

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

Bonbon1995 wrote: »
    Oh flip -_-.. haha.. im literally leaving half the course out.. I need a b3 :(((((((

I need a B3 at least aswell to try and get my points up. The short questions are going to kill me. :(

Practically need an A1 in HL. :(

But you only need to answer short questions Q1. two others and your elective you will be grand :)

I keep forgetting it's only two other questions after Q1! Didn't have the elective done for the mock so we had to do an extra Q haha

• Advertisement

I've been cramming home ec for the past two weeks and I'm still nowhere near confident on anything. Starting to think I should just write it off as "sure the paper is pot luck" and leave it... then I remember I want a B1. Hm.

Advertisement