Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

REALLY NEED HELP TO CONVERT A .avi FILE.

Options
  • 21-03-2013 8:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭

Sorry about the caps but this is really important.

I have 2 x six meg .avi clips which I cannot get windows media player to run.

I can play them using vlc player from hard drive and cd, but realplayer and WM player say missing codec and even though I try to download them, it fails. I did a google and they say use windows movie maker to convert to dvd format.

Tried that and fails due to "options to download codecs not ticked". Clicked options header and machine crashes!

Its for someone who has no understanding of computers so I need it to play on a default player like Windows media player or even in DVD format.

Is anyone handy with this stuff that can do a job on it for me? Its a sentimental issue rather than commercial.

Cheers all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Tell them to install XP Codec Pack or CCCP or K-Lite Codec Pack and WMP will play them (this will also avoid further irritations).

I you really want to convert, get WinFF. Run the program, drag your AVI into the program window, click the Covert to dropdown menu, select WMV, select WMV2 Generic as Preset and click the button Convert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Superduper.

I really appreciate that. The first option worked and now it plays.

The video is really important.

Thanks very much.

superscouse

Advertisement