Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Council funding 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Barrelat75

Hi Half-Cocked, how the Irish Tax Payers money is divided out via the sports council is a very complicated process.
    It takes years of hard work and dedicated time from both sports people and administrators to gain the respect and notice of the Irish Sports Council. But however it is questionable how they can at this point in time justify the granting of €46,125 to the ICPSA given the situation which is ongoing within the organisation.

There are many people around Ireland who are dissapointed at not having a fair and frank forum where they can discuss fact regarding the sorry state of clay target shooting on this Island. I and many others would be greatly obliged if the mods would allow this forum to be used for factual conversation. I understand they have a job to do and I do believe they are acting in the best interest of the forum base but simply deleating threads and posts regargding this matter is not acting in the interest of the majority.

It is I understand very important on many grounds to abide by the rules here on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Barrelat75 wrote: »
    Hi Half-Cocked, how the Irish Tax Payers money is divided out via the sports council is a very complicated process.
    It takes years of hard work and dedicated time from both sports people and administrators to gain the respect and notice of the Irish Sports Council. But however it is questionable how they can at this point in time justify the granting of €46,125 to the ICPSA given the situation which is ongoing within the organisation.

I don't know how the ISC decide who gets funded and its a real shame there appears to be no funding for rifle and pistol shooting, but they are obviously happy with the way the ICPSA is run. I'd imagine in the current climate they would use any excuse to cut funding to NGB's they aren't happy with to save a few bob. Must say I am more sceptical about the amount of money handed out to the likes of the FAI and GAA given that these organizations have huge income of their own. Minority sports like shooting are being left to perish.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭FLOYDSTER

I dont think its just the ICPSA with issues!;), as far as I am aware the rifle and pistol guys and girls dont have access to the carding system although I stand to be corrected!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

FLOYDSTER wrote: »
    as far as I am aware the rifle and pistol guys and girls dont have access to the carding system although I stand to be corrected!;)

Why not?:( They have shown that they can compete at top level.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Barrelat75 wrote: »
    I and many others would be greatly obliged if the mods would allow this forum to be used for factual conversation. I understand they have a job to do and I do believe they are acting in the best interest of the forum base but simply deleating threads and posts regargding this matter is not acting in the interest of the majority.

It is I understand very important on many grounds to abide by the rules here on boards.

Allow me to make this very clear as you wish to discuss this openly.

The mods have absolutely no interest/dealings in clay shooting issues. None of us are members of any group/organisation and therefore we act only on the rules of the forum, and not from some sort of bias.

What we must do is prevent the forum rules being broken in terms of name calling, defamatory remarks, insults, being uncivil, duplicate accounts used to sock puppet, infighting, etc. Even in the few posts there are snide comments being thrown around.

We are more than happy to provide a platform for clay shooters to discuss their sport and anything related to it. However that platform does not entitle people to use it for purposes as outlined above.

So once people keep within the rules, keep it civil, and as you said yourself "factual" not personal then discuss away. Step over any of those lines, and the mods will take action.

So please do not try and shift the blame for any post or thread removal from the poster to the mods.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement

The fact of the matter is large numbers of people have not renued their membership to the I.C.P.S.A. for this year and furthermore there is major unrest from the members who have rejoined. There are various reasons for this, the recession, shooting ground closures but primarily issues regarding a wideley reported incident (end).

Interesting!, do you want to expand on the *incident*, you can of course pm me !;)

@Half-cocked, I'm not sure that the rifle and pistol guys have proven themselves although even if they had I think its more an issue with not having a body recognised but the powers that be!;), I dont think there is a direct route to the funding.:confused:

PM Sent.

Not getting into the clay end of it, and do not want to derail this clay orientated thread with rifle/pistol talk, but on this end:
    FLOYDSTER wrote: »
    @Half-cocked, I'm not sure that the rifle and pistol guys have proven themselves although even if they had I think its more an issue with not having a body recognised but the powers that be!;),
    We have the NASRPC, and NRAI under the (old) umbrella group of the SSAI, now the FSAI..

Each organisation have Gold, silver, and bronze medals in individual, and team events on international competitions. All self funded. So the officially recognised groups are there, the successes are documented, but still no funding. If you can figure out why then please let me know.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭wirehairmax

Cass wrote: »
    Not getting into the clay end of it, and do not want to derail this clay orientated thread with rifle/pistol talk, but on this end:

We have the NASRPC, and NRAI under the (old) umbrella group of the SSAI, now the FSAI..

Each organisation have Gold, silver, and bronze medals in individual, and team events on international competitions. All self funded. So the officially recognised groups are there, the successes are documented, but still no funding. If you can figure out why then please let me know.
    It's the GAA's fault! Or at least it was a few weeks ago

• Advertisement

Cass wrote: »

What disciplines were the medals achieved in and at what comps ?;)

I'm not a member of the NASRPC so had to take this info from a quick internet search, but the biggest win they had was at the German open a year or two ago taking (in individual);
    • 14 Gold
    • 14 Silver
    • 8 Bronze

In team events;
    • 2 Silver
    • 4 Bronze

The NRAI has had Gold, Silver, and Bronze medals for individuals in European competitions at Bisley over the last three years (as an official Irish team), Silver, and Bronze in team events in the same, as well as individual achievements such as Gold in the Annual Conan Doyle Shoot by Noel Kelly.

I'm sure there are far more than that, but i don't know them all. I will try and get a more comprehensive list over the next couple of days, and i would ask anyone from the NASRPC that could add to the above to post away.

The point being all these medals, and accolades are being won at the cost of the individual shooters due to lack of funding. Same with the worlds in Raton this year. All being paid for by each man going.

Not to make little of the achievements of the lads in clay shooting, but as F-Class is not classed as an Olympic sport it does not enjoy the same press as clay shooting. Same goes for pistol shooting. The disciplines shot in the Olympics are only a small minority of all the disciplines shot.

I don't pretend to know or understand the funding process, but it would seem most shooting disciplines/sports are being stifled due to lack of funding. It'll get to the point where the man able to afford to finance his sport will be able to succeed where the better shot (not able to afford it) will suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

To be fair Cass, that's just harsh reality. It always has been and always will be the case that ability to pay will determine opportunities. Most athletes in most countries in most sports are largely self-funded. It just costs a huge amount to compete, so while it's not always the case that someone who's better can't afford to go (since generally, as shooting costs a lot anyway, the person who can afford to get good is more likely to be able to afford to compete afterwards), sometimes the better shooter is going to be left at home.

You misunderstand me (probably my fault). I am not bitching about people not getting money. I have paid for everything i've gotten over the years without any handouts, etc. I never competed on a large, international level so never felt "cheated" or left out from any possible funding.

I also do not begrudge it to those that do get it. They deserve as much support as they can get. This started from a response i made to Floydster's question that there are other disciplines, other NGB's without funding. It was meant as a statement, not a rant/moan.

Personally i do wonder why some do not have funding. If it can be gotten why are they not trying to get it. I also feel that there are some quality shooters out there that would bring a massive, positive light to the sport, but due to financial constraints they cannot make the most of it. I tink that is a terrible shame.

However it does not bother me to the extent that i would start a thread. Others are more interested in the subject so i'll leave them to discuss it.

Cheers Cass,
    A lot of the time shooters only really involve themselves in their own particular shooting discipline and we dont always hear about other success stories!;)

Many years ago I did receive a Carding grant but knew very little how the whole thing worked or indeed how it was granted.

Advertisement