Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Back to Education Allowance Questions

• 21-03-2013 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭

I would be gratefulfor any information

I’m hoping to apply for the back to education allowance butI find it hard to find info to understand the criteria for been accepted for theback to education allowance . Am I entitled to the back to education allowance,under the following

1 I have Degree, M asters and Diploma, but I finishedcollege 13 years ago, my last year in college was a diploma which was level 8

2 I am on jobseekersbenefit for over 9 moths no sign of job

3 I would like to do another diploma level 9 or masters level 9; my last year in college was getting adiploma level 8 13 years ago

4 Can I do a masters on Back to education allowance ,

4 Does the course have to be full time, if it is part timecan u still obtain the back to education allowance ?

Any advice would be grateful, this site is great forinformation, it so hard to get any info on benefits and I find this siteinvaluable, so thanx for any responses.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Postgraduate courses

Only postgraduate courses in Ireland are eligible for the BTEA scheme. You can get the Back to Education Allowance for a postgraduate course of study that leads to a Higher Diploma (H.Dip.) qualification in any discipline or a Graduate Diploma in Education (primary and secondary teaching).

Other types of postgraduate qualifications are not recognised for BTEA. The only exception to this is where a college has admitted a person without a primary degree to a Master’s course on the basis of relevant life experience - in these cases the person may be entitled to BTEA.

You will not get BTEA if you already have a postgraduate qualification.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/back_to_education/back_to_education_allowance.html

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pluto_322

You will not qualify for Back to Education Allowance as the holder of a Master's Degree. Your best bet is to seek a part-time course (if available) and apply under the Part Time Education Option (PTEO). If successful, this would allow you to keep your payments but you would be subject to the usual JA conditions.

See also http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Part-Time-Education-Option.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Or wait for the next tranche of Springboard courses. They should be announced over the next few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

Sorry to jump in here but I have a quick question of BTEA.

I am on JA. I remember reading last year on boards there was a delay in applicants receiving their approved BTEA, will SW continue to pay you JA while they transfer me over to BTEA?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Sorry to jump in here but I have a quick question of BTEA.

I am on JA. I remember reading last year on boards there was a delay in applicants receiving their approved BTEA, will SW continue to pay you JA while they transfer me over to BTEA?

I can only say that I had no delay in transition last year when I claimed. I picked my payments up in the post office, and one Tuesday they said there was nothing there for me and no notice of a later payment, I had it in the bank two days later. Once you have been provisionally approved, there should be no delay. Make sure you notify your SW before starting a course that you will not be signing that month (if you have not been changed over, they could cut your payment off for not signing because they don't realise your attending college)

• Advertisement
Advertisement