Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

reasonably priced bnb or hotel in cork city center or ballencolig

Options
  • 21-03-2013 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

Hi everyone

Firstly sorry if I spelled anything wrong in the post title

As the title suggests, I'm looking for a reasonably priced hotel or bnb in either cork city centre(close to kent station, or in ballencollig. I am going to irish guide dogs next week, and don't want to travel down to cork and back to dublin in the same day so this is why I am posting here looking for recommendations. Even though I said reasonably priced, I would like where I spend my evening to be nice as well.
    All advice welcome, and also, what is the best/safest taxi company in cork? I am visuallly impaired so will need a taxi from the station to my hotel/bnb of choice.
    Thanks in advance for any help/advice.
    PS
    Wifi is a must!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 vwsuze

You can get good deals for the Oriel in Ballincollig online - nice enough hotel too

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭afterglow

vwsuze wrote: »
    You can get good deals for the Oriel in Ballincollig online - nice enough hotel too
    Thanks very much
    I will have a look at that hotel online tonight Thanks so much for suggestion

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

afterglow wrote: »
    Thanks very much
    I will have a look at that hotel online tonight Thanks so much for suggestion

That's about as far from Mahon/Blackrock as you can get.

I'm not sure there are any BnB's around here, but you'd get some just inside town. The Clarion has decent rates during the week usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

That's about as far from Mahon/Blackrock as you can get.

I'm not sure there are any BnB's around here, but you'd get some just inside town. The Clarion has decent rates during the week usually.
    It doesnt matter how far from mahon it is as the op hasnt asked about there lol.
    The oriel is nice and only a 5min taxi ride away. The staff are friendly and will call a cab for you from reception.
    Another option would be to ring the guide dogs reception and ask. They might have a deal with a hotel for visitors or would recommend somewhere good for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭corkonion

Jury's inn is city center, five min walk to Kent station, two minute walk to bus station where you can get to Ballincollig or Mahon or blackrock easily

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

corkonion wrote: »
    Jury's inn is city center, five min walk to Kent station, two minute walk to bus station where you can get to Ballincollig or Mahon or blackrock easily

The OP never mentioned anything about Mahon or Blackrock - why are posters trying to send them there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

corkonion wrote: »

Jurys Inn is a kip though. The Clarion around the corner would be much nicer, plus it has WiFi. Best to stay in Ballincollig as it is close to the Guide Dogs. Kent station is 11km to the Oriel Hotel, about €16 each way, rising to €20 at night

http://www.taxiautofare.com/ie/taxi-fare/Cork-taxi-fare-from-Oriel-House-Hotel,-Main-St,-Ballincollig,-Co.-Cork-to-kent-station,-cork

Just note that the fare from the Oriel to Guide Dogs is €11 each way, 5.5km.

http://www.taxiautofare.com/ie/Default.aspx?LocationID=148&Distance=5.575&Source=Oriel%20House%20Hotel,%20Main%20St,%20Ballincollig,%20Co.%20Cork&Destination=Guide%20Dogs,%20Model%20Farm%20Road,%20Cork&Time=421

It might be worth considering a stay in town if you can find a hotel to match the price of the Oriel. There's a couple of decent B&Bs & Hotels on the Western Road, for example:
    - The River Lee Hotel (WiFi) (€145)
    - The Blarney Stone (~€65)
    - Garnish House (€62)
    - Lancaster Lodge (€72) (an ex-colleague used to like staying here in Lancaster Lodge for some reason)
    - Crawford House (€52)
    if the budget is tight, I'm not sure if the 2nd two have WiFi though.

Best of luck if you are getting paired up with a dog. Great facility they have of the Model Farm Road, my neighbour used to take dogs for the first 6 months of their life before they went in to training, they loved dogs after seeing our dog at home & they chose helping out by fostering puppies.

EDIT: The Oriel hotel is coming in at €109 on www.hotels.com, all the prices next to the places listed above are from Hotels.com too. You can get a further 10% off on Hotels.com by using the code:
    HEMAR10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

OP - will you be staying in during the evening, or are you looking for a bit of a social scene? If it's the former, you could try here - http://www.dunderg.com/

Don't know it myself but it gets good reviews on TA and it's close to The Guide Dogs.

Everyone has their own fave taxi company. I use ABC 021 496 9696 - and have never had a probelm in 10 yrs.

Enjoy your trip!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

As mentioned Oriel House is in Ballincollig & is probably the only choice out there as far as hotels are concerned.
    It's on the other side of Ballincollig from the guide dogs but only about 5 mins in a taxi.

Lancaster Lodge is a good shout. It's reasonably priced, short drive from Ballincollig (10 mins in light traffic) & they have WiFi according to their website.
    The River Lee hotel is right next next door to it as well, so you could go over to their bar or restaurant in the evening.

There's a link to a map below. With the hotels, guide dogs & train station marked, just to give you an idea of where everything is.
    https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=214506334193710657603.0004d888a7ddfee6d69bb&msa=0

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭gmf1024

You might ring the IGD themselves as they provide accommodation for courses etc. If they have availability, it might be the easiest solution.

• Advertisement
Advertisement