Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Using the over taking lane..

• 21-03-2013 9:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

Or whatever the fcuk the new cool kids on the block call it now..

Do you use it to ride in and feck the world?.

See I apply double standards here, I try not use the M50 for my daily commute simply because its double the distance and boring, but knocks half the time off my journey.

If I use the car I'm anal about not using the outside lanes (I'm dying to say ''fast lane" lol) but on the rare occasion I use the motorways its the outside lane all the way and at the upper speed limit allowed on the motorway (if I was in Germany :p ).

Why do I use it, when I'm in a hurry home after a nightshift and if I'm heading training Dub 13 to Rush and have to take the bike (which is rare).

So do you use the fast lane (there I said it :cool: ) or do you 'tut tut' when you see me (and people in a hurry home like me) wheeze past?... Like I do in the little C3 :o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

I use the overtaking lane for overtaking, if the left lanes are clear I use them, its hardly rocket science, yet many drivers seem to struggle with the concept of pulling to the left when the lanes are clear.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I use the overtaking lane for overtaking, if the left lanes are clear I use them, its hardly rocket science, yet many drivers seem to struggle with the concept of pulling to the left when the lanes are clear.

Ok here's the thing, if the other lanes have slower moving traffic and not clear (of traffic) and I'm clearly riding at least 20kph or more but have a clear over taking lane I'm over taking even if it takes me 10, 15 or 20 kms, right?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Ok here's the thing, if the other lanes have slower moving traffic and not clear (of traffic) and I'm clearly riding at least 20kph or more but have a clear over taking lane I'm over taking even if it takes me 10, 15 or 20 kms, right?.

If your going faster than the traffic in the nearside lanes then you are overtaking. .

If there's no traffic in the nearside lanes, and even if your doing 20km/h over the posted limit in the fast lane, your a knob as it's just as easy to drive in the correct lane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

On the bike I use it a lot, cos I'm going faster than everyone else most of the time. Talking M50 here. Although, if the middle lane has nothing in it, i'd use that.
    And you will find plenty of times on the M50 that the left lane (not the exit lane) has no one in it, middle lane and right lane are full. In that case I'll go into the left lane and pass people in that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Keep left unless overtaking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭KingIsabella

/Off topic.....Makikomi....was that you around phoenix park yesterday mornin round 9ish??

/carry on....

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭The Shane

fastest thing on the road or getting out of my way is how I like other drivers to be. I hate slow moving drivers camped in the right most lane, I get quite a bit more profane than "tut, tut".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Bottom line is (and I will prolly get slated for this) but I use it for what its intended for. Even if there is nothing around and I am doing 160Klms I will always revert back to the left lane. I NEVER sit in the fast lane ever, it just bad driving practise to sit in it constantly and think you have every right just coz you are doing the limit.

So left lane all the time, until over taking then back in simples really. And that goes for bikes and cages (my 2c).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

meh, filter. helps with the boring ness of the m50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,401 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

the fundamental rule of the road is keep left, pass right. Most Irish drivers think it's keep right, and f**k everyone else :rolleyes:

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Bottom line is (and I will prolly get slated for this) but I use it for what its intended for. Even if there is nothing around and I am doing 160Klms I will always revert back to the left lane. I NEVER sit in the fast lane ever, it just bad driving practise to sit in it constantly and think you have every right just coz you are doing the limit.

So left lane all the time, until over taking then back in simples really. And that goes for bikes and cages (my 2c).

I tend to agree with Wonda-Boy, except for sometimes when I've overtaken someone and the next car ahead of me is a fair distance ahead, there's no real point in slipping back into left lane only to overtake again within a minute or so. I'll stay in overtaking lane till I've passed the lead car then when it's safe go back to left lane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

There's another good reason to default back to the left or centre lane, even if the road is empty - your position is roughly equidistant from the edge of the soft margin and the median. If you suddenly had to avoid something unexpected in your path, or brake hard, or worse still had a blowout or something, far better to have a lane and a half wriggle room either side of you. At 120kph+ it could be the difference between a "big fright" and a fatal accident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

i am driving daily, now how can i explain myself to dont sound as rasist fool...

everytime i am on M1 heading towards Balbriggan i can see clearly some muppet going in "fast lane" 90kmh (speed limit 120) and i can clearly say in 99% its a fellow black driver. i was geting mad about it, but i installed extra horn on my car an it sound like a 12wheel truck... so little sound and i am clear to go.

when i am on bike i am respecting rules and even going 200kmh i always switch to left if there is nothing in front. no point to stay in the "overtaking" lane for no reason.

i have nothing about anybody just my own experience, and jsut to be honest its irritating me a little.

Cienciano wrote: »
    On the bike I use it a lot, cos I'm going faster than everyone else most of the time. Talking M50 here. Although, if the middle lane has nothing in it, i'd use that.
    And you will find plenty of times on the M50 that the left lane (not the exit lane) has no one in it, middle lane and right lane are full. In that case I'll go into the left lane and pass people in that.

More or less what I do. In the morning the left lane is always clear as everyone is in a hurry over into the two outside lanes.

I only really use the center or left lanes if I'm cruising, and tbh regardless what I'm doing between the Ballymun and M1 exit I'll stay in the overtaking lane because the risk of being cut off by **** exiting very late (off the M50 onto the M1) is just too great.

I wonder if the people who say they observe lane discipline are so disciplined with bus lanes and their throttle hand ;)
    kaimera wrote: »
    meh, filter. helps with the boring ness of the m50.

Yup, that can be the craic at speed :) Although to be honest if I'm tired I just don't bother and will sit at 100kph in the center lane and chillax for a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

If im consistently overtaking people every 30 seconds ill just stay in the outside lane as there is no point in moving back in just to move out again a few seconds later.

However if someone is coming up behind i will always move in; and i move in long before they are on my ass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

On my morning commutes I tend to use the bike lane on the M50. That 1-1.5 metre section in between the right and middle lanes. If traffic is not so heavy I would be in the right lane most of the time simply because I am at a significantly higher speed than the middle lane (not necessarily speeding mind you), if I notice a 100m-150m + gap up ahead I'll move into the middle lane until I need to overtake again.

Outside of moderate to heavy traffic I use all 3 lanes as intended. I will overtake the middle lane and move over to either the middle or left lane depending on space available. Sometimes it's a lot of moving, but I have on two occasions not been pulled over while speeding, I assume because they saw that I was practicing proper lane discipline. Both times an unmarked car drove up beside me while I was in the left lane (doing 20kph+ over the limit, looked at me and then drove off.

Outside of moderate to heavy traffic I use all 3 lanes as intended. I will overtake the middle lane and move over to either the middle or left lane depending on space available. Sometimes it's a lot of moving, but I have on two occasions not been pulled over while speeding, I assume because they saw that I was practicing proper lane discipline. Both times an unmarked car drove up beside me while I was in the left lane (doing 20kph+ over the limit, looked at me and then drove off.

Thats just called keeping the tyres warm :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Thats just called keeping the tyres warm :cool:

Of course :pac: Just linking the proper lane discipline with the guards giving you a bit of respect. Sure 20kph over the limit is filtering speed. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭markad1

The M50 to the M1 airport direction is crazy. The amount of fools cutting in at the last min is stupid.

If im consistently overtaking people every 30 seconds ill just stay in the outside lane as there is no point in moving back in just to move out again a few seconds later.

However if someone is coming up behind i will always move in; and i move in long before they are on my ass.

Even if I am going long distances on motorways like up north to the road races even with nothing around I will change lanes to stop squaring off the tyres. That is one reason anyway....;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Even if I am going long distances on motorways like up north to the road races even with nothing around I will change lanes to stop squaring off the tyres. That is one reason anyway....;)

Unless you're constantly weaving, changing lanes occasionally isn't really gonna make much of a difference. :-)

What are ya doing, drifting?... :pac:

I beg to differ, sitting in the one position grinding the tyres constantly will hammer them. I dont weave like a mad eeejeet but I dont stay on the same path for long...its hard to explain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Blondie919 wrote: »
    I tend to agree with Wonda-Boy, except for sometimes when I've overtaken someone and the next car ahead of me is a fair distance ahead, there's no real point in slipping back into left lane only to overtake again within a minute or so. I'll stay in overtaking lane till I've passed the lead car then when it's safe go back to left lane.
    I find that good lane discipline reduces the boredom of motorway travelling. Even when the distance to the next vehicle is not that far I tend to return to the left as it makes things a little more interesting. In addition, I think that people that stay in the overtaking lanes are dicks.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

honestly
    if i'm on the gixxer i use the fast lane and if someone thinks 75mph means they dont have to move then i happilly undertake them
    if im on anything else i pretend i'm a fast car and be good

gixxers are bold :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

I beg to differ, sitting in the one position grinding the tyres constantly will hammer them. I dont weave like a mad eeejeet but I dont stay on the same path for long...its hard to explain.

Go on, you know you want to.

For you it would take a short video and numerous diagrams.....

Advertisement