Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A fourth major - Chicago 2013

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Great report, edge of the seat stuff. PB is a PB. Well done on a great run!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Great report Peckham, loads of stuff I'd totally forgotten about in the race.. Was a great weekend, hope the rest of your holiday was enjoyable, catch up with you soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Great read...I was pretty comfortable early on...funny how I looked the opposite! Need to improve my motivational skills for mile 25 in future...I probably blurted something out that didn't make sense! Was suffering myself at that stage! Currently in kittys for round 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

Great report Peckham, loads of stuff I'd totally forgotten about in the race.. Was a great weekend, hope the rest of your holiday was enjoyable, catch up with you soon.

G took some video footage of you at mile 23. Do you want it? You look strong! Send me your email address and I'll send it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Well done peckham, sounds like you really toughed it out on a bad day. Congrats, sub 3 is sub 3. Got to be happy with a PB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Peckham wrote:
    I know I should feel a little disappointed with my time - a lot of work over past few months, and not a huge amount to show for it in terms of PB, which remains at 2:58 – but I’m not. Maybe it shows me that I’ve reached my limit in terms of marathoning. I might never find out.
    Congrats on the PB! I remember sitting on that same grass two years ago, sipping that same crappy beer, with a print-out in hand, celebrating the fact that I'd managed to run a single second faster than I had in Berlin the previous year.

You can definitely run quicker. Much, much quicker. The question is, what are you going to do next? Keep the training momentum going (not necessarily the miles!), or take a step back and chill until your next marathon attempt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Great running Peckham. I would't say you've peaked yet at all. Remember, you ran sub 1:20 at R and R (I think, right?) To me, the only reason you didn't run quicker this time around is maybe you peaked a bit soon? I'd shorten up the next marathon cycle (like 8-9 weeks w/ a two week tempo )and you'd be amazed at how quick you can go....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

TRR wrote: »
    Well done, fair play for hanging on. Maybe one thing you might consider is incorporating more races in your marathon cycle. Specifically 10ks or 10 milers. I always find I'm desperately trying to hold onto pace in the latter stages of them and I think they kind of give you a race toughness that no amount of training or sessions can simulate. Just a thought, might be BS!

I think you're right. One of my weaknesses as a runner is that I don't race that much. For example, in the six months before Chicago all I did was a parkrun back in early Summer and a 10 miler (which was done as a PMP session). I'm always finding excuses not to race - for example, I'd prioritise a long run over a race.
    Congrats on the PB! I remember sitting on that same grass two years ago, sipping that same crappy beer, with a print-out in hand, celebrating the fact that I'd managed to run a single second faster than I had in Berlin the previous year.

You can definitely run quicker. Much, much quicker. The question is, what are you going to do next? Keep the training momentum going (not necessarily the miles!), or take a step back and chill until your next marathon attempt?

Crappy beer? It was Goose Island 312, which became my "go to" beer over the following days.

No plan at the moment. Haven't run a step since the race, but will knock out some easy miles this week. With the arrival of another Peckham Jnr in January, a spring marathon is off the cards. If I could get through a couple of 10k training cycles between now and next summer I'd be happy. Not sure how feasible an autumn marathon next year would be - if so, it would likely be Dublin (and won't involve Mr Daniels!). Will also be sticking my name in the New York ballot, as would like to tick this one off.
    drquirky wrote: »
    Great running Peckham. I would't say you've peaked yet at all. Remember, you ran sub 1:20 at R and R (I think, right?) To me, the only reason you didn't run quicker this time around is maybe you peaked a bit soon? I'd shorten up the next marathon cycle (like 8-9 weeks w/ a two week tempo )and you'd be amazed at how quick you can go....

Good points - I learned a lot from tracking my progress against RunForestRun. Lots to be taken from his shorter, PMP-focussed approach. (That wasn't me who ran sub-1:20 at R&R - that was my fellow Chicago marathoners).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

My bad Peckham. I just went back through your log though and my original point stands- from the workouts you were doing- you have most definitely NOT peaked! BTW Mrs. Dr.Q and I also have a new baby due around the same time, maybe we can race baby joggers? :D:D:D

Advertisement