Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Venturing in fondant icing

Options
  • 21-03-2013 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭

Hi all

This weekend I plan on venturing into fondant icing, one question - what sort of cake shouldn't bake? A simple choc sponge seems too soft for the icing? Not fussy on the filling as long as its is a bit tasty.

Any recipes are appreciated, the easier the better :-)

Oh and how long will a fondant covered cake keep for?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

I wouldn't have said there's a no no in covering in fondant as you will have to crumb coat it anyway and pop in the fridge for a but for it to set before you cover with the fondant.

I haven't tested the theory yet but cake lady I did some decorating classes with and she has 25 years experience reckons you can cover a sponge up to a week in advance which is necessary sometimes for wedding cake decorations.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Elottois

When you say fondant, are you referring to roll on icing for cake decoration, or do you mean the more fluid icing?

For what it's worth, the more fluid icing works very well as a topping for queen cakes, as they have a firmer top for decoration. You could make flavoured queen cakes, dip the top into the melted fondant, round off the sides of the queen cake for an even finish and then allow to set.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Wexy86

Elottois wrote: »
    When you say fondant, are you referring to roll on icing for cake decoration, or do you mean the more fluid icing?.

I mean the roll our icing, I just bought the shamrock one in tescos and I have some coloured paste.

Made a biscuit cake yest and will do a sponge now . try out both and see what happens!!

With me luck, thanks :-)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Good luck! Don't forget to take photos :)

Advertisement