Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 Cooking Club Week 11: Apple Tart

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Do you mean in general, or at 12:23am this morning? :)

It's a serious case of the munchies if you're making apple tart in the middle of the night!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Mr E wrote: »
    Do you mean in general, or at 12:23am this morning? :)

It's a serious case of the munchies if you're making apple tart in the middle of the night!

Only in general. If you have that serious a craving there should be no waiting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Hi, I'm doing this tonight, and I was wondering how many grams would the apples be? I'd say six small ones would be enough?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

No idea what weight they'd be, sorry, but I'd say six small ones would probably be grand - mine were on the small side of medium and were ever so slightly too much, so yours should be fine. It's fairly approximate anyway, people like different amounts of apple to pastry! :) hope you like it.

Tried it yesterday and I made a disaster of it :o I didn't put any sugar in it, and the pastry was badly put on. Although first time I made pastry so yay.

• Advertisement

Oh no! Well practice makes perfect ;) seriously, keep trying with the pastry, it can come in handy on a lot of things. Hope it hasn't frightened you off! Also hope you realised you'd forgotten the sugar before you bit into it...the sourness is making me pull a face without eating anything.

Oh no! Well practice makes perfect wink.png seriously, keep trying with the pastry, it can come in handy on a lot of things. Hope it hasn't frightened you off! Also hope you realised you'd forgotten the sugar before you bit into it...the sourness is making me pull a face without eating anything.

Eating apples ;) Nah, making the pastry made a mess of everything in a five mile radius, but I felt like a domestic God while doing it :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭Mary-Ellen

I made one over the weekend, it was yummy thanks for the recipe :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I made this today :). I left my apples in chunks because I prefer them that way. I found the dough pretty easy to make, but despite my best intentions, I overworked it and it was quite tough :(. I also used eating apples, because I made this out of a desire just to bake something, rather than buying the necessary ingredients. They didn't have enough flavour to sustain the tart, but now that I know my plates won't crack in the oven, I'll definitely try it again soon with cooking apples.

Getting over the fear of cracked/exploding plates is the most important part! Thanks for trying it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

used your pastry recipe for rhubarb tarts over the weekend, nice and tasty and the best part about making tarts is using the leftover pastry/off cuts for a jam tart, which the kids love to make.

They love to decorate the jam tart in their own style as you can see from the photo.

thanks op

Thanks for trying it! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭amklo

Made this yesterday and it turned out great...delighted as my last attempt at a tart (Rhubarb) was a bit of a disaster.
    Made a small cheese and onion tart, which I found the idea from somewhere on this site, with the leftover pastry and it was delish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I saw this yesterday so gave it a try.

gq87.jpg

Thanks a mill for the directions OP!

They look great! :)

Question! What's the best way to use cloves in order to have the whole tart tasting of them? I did as my granny used do by putting them on top of the apples. Thing is, I hate the feel of them in my mouth and I always pick them out of a slice before I eat it.

Would ground cloves be a good idea or can I stick a few cloves through the top, bake and then take them out afterwards?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

If you like clove flavour but don't like chewing on 'em, ground cloves would be the way to go. You'll have to experiment with quantities.

A sprinkling should do the trick :P

Either works! Ground is better for even flavouring, but a ring of cloves stuck in the top can look pretty. :)

I've just made round 5 of 2 x tarts. I did one cinnamon and one whole cloves. Also I did a huge filling and there's not really much of an edge to them but they taste magnificent :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Making this again for the thousandth time :) but I sliced the apples instead of grating them as I love the sticky juices. Love love love the simplicity of this recipe

• Registered Users Posts: 26 broke

Just made two to day Very tasty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Made this during the week. It looked nice, but my pastry was a bit rubbery. I think I added slightly too much water! Going to make a quiche today, so I will try less water to see how I get on.

32C76AE5-4272-4AA2-AE81-66C5A7BB47A9_zpsifilltjm.jpg

Looks great! Thanks for trying it - hope the next batch of pastry works out better. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Adrian4

Going to try think at the weekend.

First thing - I ever will bake.

How many mugs is 450g of floor?

Very much depends on the size of the mug!

Advertisement