Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rahoon

Options
  • 21-03-2013 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi Lads,

Am after some advice...we are desperately trying to relocate to Galway for a number of reasons. But like many folk we have been having a tough recession! It looks like we can only afford a few places & have heard mixed reviews. HAve any of you comments on Rahoon for a youngish family?

Thanks
    J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

Rahoon covers a large area. Which specific estate are you considering?

In a nutshell, the whole area is fine. There were high rise flats there until the early 90'sbut they were demolished. I have walked alone along Rahoon Road and Quirke Road late at night without giving it a second thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I know a lot of people that live in Rahoon - from cottages on the outskirts to the estates and all are happy there. It's all a nice area.
    There is one Estate that is a bit rougher and has a few troublesome houses, but even there one friend lives and says her neighbours either side are sound.
    If you can, go for a walk around and chat to people to get a feel for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Surrealean

Rahoon covers a wide area, as has already been pointed out, so you may want to be more specific.

For my part, I lived in Cnoc and Óir for quite some time, which has earned a bad rep over the last few years. Mind you, I never personally had any trouble in the area. Traffic can be bad in the area, if that's a concern for you - getting a bus is even worse. The Westside Shopping Centre is good for groceries (I live in the city centre but still pop out there, for Divillys).

Overall the area is ok - not great, but ok. I've probably had more problems here than I did out there, so there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Which area will you work in? Try to live on the same side of the river, traffic in the mornings is murder. Do you have school sorted?
    We need more info really.

Rahoon is grand, will you be renting or buying?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

Rahoon townland takes in a biiig area from the north side of Taylors Hill up to Tonabrocky and from Knocknacarra Dunnes over to Westside Dunnes (http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,527202,725455,5,7) but what is meant by the postal address of Rahoon or people's perception of where Rahoon is is up for some debate. anyway we live in Rahoon with our toddler and it's fine, warts and all.

to be more practically helpful, the housing south of Rahoon Road towards Kingston Rd tend to have a better reputation that those north of Rahoon Rd but again this is just perception and more than likely wildly wrong when one actually lives in those areas.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 PJK2013

A few rough areas but also some nice areas. Becareful of the estates as a lot of students renting etc. Knocknacarra can be nice which is close to town still.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 manatay

Hi Folks,

Thanks so much for all the rapid and helpful responses...new to the boards and very grateful.

Well, I had hopes for a place on Friars Hill...but that appears to have just been sold! The others that I have seen are mainly around Glean Dara or one off Letteragh road. We are hoping to buy if possible but budget is very tight.

We had looked at a possible rental around Tonabrocky but after many moves and years in rental we are really keen to have our own place.

I have spotted some of the traffic issues...but may well be able to work around these in time although I will have to commute for a while. Essentially we are looking to be within 15 minutes of a hospital and 10-15 minutes of the sea! We have cast our net as far as furbo, moycullen etc (we would really like a decent garden) and are taken with some areas such as Renmore. At present I am looking in the sub 160 range so the budget is very limited. So , any further advice or if nay of you know of hidden gems then would be much appreciated.

Thanks again,
    J

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Gleann Dara has some students who might be a bit noisy sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Just on Daft.ie there at least 10 properties in ok estates around your price range (and that's just asking price).
    Buses are better than they were in the past, plus some estates/parts are served by Bus Eireann and City Direct for more options. There are houses up in Gort Greinne, Rockfield, Claremont and Friars Hill. Rahoon is a decent area for Hospital and Sea. Have a look at Shantalla too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dollybird2

Gleann Dara is quite a studenty estate so if a house there interests you it could be worth checking who lives next door, or checking the PRTB register to see if it's rented. I live in Rahoon and have never had any issues. It's so handy being beside Westside and while the traffic can be slow it's not too bad. I get from Rahoon to City Centre in 20 minutes most mornings, which is great compared to where I last lived! Good luck with your search.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Stay away from Gleann Dara.

I just saw a house for sale in Gort Greine for 160,000 today in the window of an auctioneers. Lots of young families with a big green space in the middle.

Advertisement