Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on starter kits

Options
  • 21-03-2013 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hello!

I stumbled across this forum last night :p I would like to get away from the cigarettes and all the nasty bits that come with it, but i actually enjoy smoke filling my lungs and the throat hit. I originally wanted a shisha, but during research, found these were similar, if not more unhealthy than cigarettes.

So finding this forum is a god send :D

I've read many threads, found some excellent sites (thank you everyone for posting them ;) Will be having a lot of fun choosing my flavours!) and i've decided to take the plunge and buy a starter kit :)

Since i'm broke at the moment, something in the region of €20-€30 would be perfect. I've located 3 that i would be interested in. Would anyone like to offer me advice on them?

1.Kanger Value kit Seems to be a favourite among fellow new-vapes.

2. Ego Mini Kit MAh650 Cheap and Cheerful

3. Ego T with LCD display A little over my original budget, but it is half price so must be good? :confused:

Thanks a million for your help :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Mr. Chrome

Definitely option 1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Jaysus, always a new site I've never heard of before popping up, where do they get the business?

Anyway, the Kanger Value kit is at the edge of your budget, so get it, it has two batteries and free juices.
    The second option won't last you a day at all unless you smoked 5 a day.
    The third option has a pretty crappy atomising system and puff counters are pointless.
    How many a day do you smoke? Rollie-smoker?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Mr. Chrome

3rd one has been around a while, I've had issues with them!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭SicklySweet

I smoke 20-25 Marlboro lights a day :o And i calculated from another thread that my juices should be around the 16-18mg of nicotine. Would this be right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

Kanger Value Kit 100%

First of all you will NEED 2 batteries IMHO if you are seriously using it as an alternative or else you'll give yourself excuses not to use it and go back to fags e.g. "Oh my battery was dead"

The Kanger Tank is better than the Ce4 that appears to be bundled with the mini ego 650
    A little over my original budget, but it is half price so must be good?

And No the LCD kit is a TOTAL gimmick, when your battery is dead its dead, you charge it and have a spare handy you really don't need a half arse display to tell you its dead - and its also just more electronics to go wrong.
    3.If you keep sucking in 15 mouthfuls within one minute,the LED light will flash 5 times for reminding you have used one tobacco cigarette already.

And thats bull too - 15 mouthfuls is NOT equivalent in the real world to a cigarette.
    enjoy smoke filling my lungs and the throat hit

Ecigs smoke more like cigars, you dont really fill your lungs (beginners mistake!) .. but you certainly do get the throat and nicotine hit.

Just dont overdo it thinking you need the highest mg juice to start off IMHO 10mg is the happy medium between great vapor, great flavour and smooth throat hit.

Dont forget you need to buy juice ! (get a few variaties to start off) .. there's another reccommended kit that has 5 juices with it (cant remember).

• Advertisement

I smoke 20-25 Marlboro lights a day :o And i calculated from another thread that my juices should be around the 16-18mg of nicotine. Would this be right?

Well, you'll break even with a €30 kit within three days then, why not bust out for the full Kanger Twist kit? Break even in six days.
    Remember, the money you used to spend on smoking will now be available.

Never met anyone who smoked pre-rolleds that I'd call broke. Tenner a day is a lot more than vaping'll cost you.

Anyway, if you have to stick to €30, Kanger Value Kit... but make sure in future that you buy the lower resistance heads for the clearomiser (the tank part). Much better vape. 2.4ohms on a normal eGo will be pretty weak.

I smoke 20-25 Marlboro lights a day And i calculated from another thread that my juices should be around the 16-18mg of nicotine. Would this be right?

No not nessesarily, it depends how much you vape - some people only use an ecig like a normal cig on smoke breaks and the like, others chain vape continually every few mins like me.

The latter would require a lower mg juice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I would go option 1 if I was buying again. I started with an Ego C kit, which turned out to have a dud battery and other issues, I've since been sent a replacement kit at least. I also bought a larger LCD battery and some clearomizers for that. I preferred that set up, and it's what I use most. The ego set gets used when I head out, as the 650 mah batts are more discreet.

I use Kanger clearomizers on my ego batteries too, nice to know they match up, you can swap and change about. Trouble with clearo's is having to clean them, which is a bit of a pita, but not much. Just always have dry spares ready to be filled.

I was on mild cig's and still find I need at least 18mg for a decent hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

I love the Kanger Twist starter kit I got from e-smokeireland. Two batteries, 2 clearos, charger (USB and mains) and 5 x 5ml juices of your choice. Came to €56 with the 'boards' discount code. I broke even on it within a week of buying it, having saved that much on cigarettes I wasn't buying (stopped the stinkies the day the kit arrived). Since then I've bought some extra clearos and a mini eGo battery (and loads of juices, but that's another matter entirely!).

I started on 18-20mg juices, but am finding them too strong for me now - I want to vape more without ODing on nicotine, because it's a lot of fun, so I'm moving down to 12 mg - was a 30 a day smoker of Mayfair superkings, so it surprised me that I don't seem to need a high nicotine content in my juices. Think it's cos I vape more than I smoked, because I enjoy the flavours of vaping more than I ever enjoyed the flavour of a cigarette. Ask yourself if you actually enjoy the flavour of your cigs, or whether you're just used to it. It's funny how you can separate out the need for nicotine from the taste of a cig, once you start vaping. I now (after 2 weeks) far prefer juices that DON'T taste like a cig.

Do let us know how you get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

[Quote
    Ecigs smoke more like cigars, you dont really fill your lungs (beginners mistake)[/Quote]

Really?? I'm realitvly new to the game and I do vape just like I would smoke a cigarette. Is there a knack that is better, like smoking it more like a cigar?

• Advertisement

Dubba wrote: »
    Really?? I'm realitvly new to the game and I do vape just like I would smoke a cigarette. Is there a knack that is better, like smoking it more like a cigar?

Do whatever works for you, but a lot of newbies choke on the vapour when they inhale straight to the lungs, or they pull really hard on on it and virtually no vapour comes out or they suck juice from a clearo not their mouth.
    People who's smoking style was pulling into the mouth then the lung seem not to have these problems.
    I've had people take a drag on my contraption and get not a jot of vapour from it (on a dual-coil!) because they were sucking like an audition for Debbie Does Dallas 4. Slow and steady wins the race.

Thanks so much for all the advice and helpful comments! Will go for the Kanger Kit for sure :)

Like Grindle Says, do what works for you - I've had friends try out my ecig and immediately their first few drags they attempted to smoke like a normal fag ended up in a coughing fit. Their next few drags they kinda just inhaled but more to the mouth out the nose slower.

Its a Hard one to explain and you'll find what feels best for you - you need to let the e-cig do the work, e.g. heat up enough and produce vapor at a slower rate rather than an action more akin to sucking like a chupa chup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

I've said it before, but maybe worth repeating: give it a few goes. I didn't take to it at all initially. The vapour can make you cough, splutter and hiccup like a mad thing initially. You don't drag off it the same as a normal cigarette, and it takes a little getting used to. I've not quit, but I've gone back to my iFag (patent pending lol) lately and am down from 12 - 15 a day to 2 a day this week, without it being an effort tbh.

There is a learning curve, and I've made a fair mess of it a few times, now I just fill up the clearo and lash the battery on and vape away at my desk when nobody is around. I've found taking 'smoke breaks' as normal helps too, you get the break outside and the feeling of getting away from your desk too.

I was very unhappy with the vaping initially, took a few goes, the kit I like might drive someone else mad too so try a few things, it's way cheaper than the tenner plus you are paying daily.

The juices are totally personal taste but I found the sweeter ones to be pretty unpleasant initially. I have a VERY VERY sweet tooth so I went for chocolate and fruit juices and it was too weird and not 'smoking' enough for me. I'm currently using a tobacco style flavour with cognac (posh eh?) from Ovale and it's great.

Also a small observation I made recently that might be of use: times when I'd light up a smoke, say when gridlocked in traffic, I now reach for the e cigarette and usually only take a puff or two and put it back down. If I light a cigarette up I'd finish the whole thing. Sometimes the little reassurance is great and you don't need a fag at all. Just worth noting. Of course you might prefer chain vaping like a steam engine! :)

TL;DR: give it a few goes, and experiment a bit, it's well worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭StickyIcky

Glad to see you've finally gotten into the swing of things RossFixxxed. Was following your earlier threads when you were having all kinds of issues. Seems like you're happy out now, nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

StickyIcky wrote: »
    Glad to see you've finally gotten into the swing of things RossFixxxed. Was following your earlier threads when you were having all kinds of issues. Seems like you're happy out now, nice :)

Definitely on the up with it at the moment. Ovale really sorted me out. It's beside where I work so it is much handier to buy different things and just try them out and bin them when they burn/wear/leak etc.

Hopefully it will continue as is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

@ Grindel & was.deevey
    Yeah that makes sense... some people I've given my Kanger to try end up having a coughing fit. Slow long drags is right, while they could be horsing into it like it was a silk cut ultra. Also some are horrified by the sweet vape of Vanilla Custard, say its like smoking desert. I love it tho. tried a rollie last week and was disgusted by the taste of a real cig, defo won't be going back!

One question on the Kanger Cleros - Can I leave un-steeped juice in a T2 Clero for a week (to strengthen the flavour), or do the wicks deteriorate over time, even when not in use?

Leave it for whatever length of time. Juice'll change colour probably, but that's about it.

Ordered my Kanger Value kit yesterday, so hopefully it should come today or tomorrow. I also bought 10 e-liquids from thebestshop, which arrived just there. Very impressed with their delivery speed!

Can't wait to get started!

Quick question on steeping, must it be done for all juices?

And my kit just came as i was typing this! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭sept09baby

Best of luck with it. Report back and let us know how you find it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭richardw001

Ordered my Kanger Value kit yesterday, so hopefully it should come today or tomorrow. I also bought 10 e-liquids from thebestshop, which arrived just there. Very impressed with their delivery speed!

Can't wait to get started!

Quick question on steeping, must it be done for all juices?

And my kit just came as i was typing this! :D

No need to steep unless you are talking some of the fancier e-liquids.

As a general rule - don't even think about steeping for the next while - if you don't like a juice - try a different one and just put the other one away in a dark cupboard (steeping) and try it again in a few days if you like (or a new months).

Other thing - with a Kanger and ten liquids to choose from - I wouldn't be filling the Clearomizers up fully to start with in case you don't like the eliquid flavour you pick to start - maybe fill up to about 1.5 mls
    USA Mix/Tobacco ones are probably the best to try first

Advertisement