Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roundabout at Northern Extension

Options
  • 21-03-2013 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭

I'm sure this roundabout was needed for safety's sake but the condition of the road in the meantime is an absolute disgrace
    The dips and potholes are huge and the amount of gravel and stones left all over it is very dangerous.

Whoever is contracted for construction is doing a very poor job.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

JPA wrote: »
    I'm sure this roundabout was needed for safety's sake but the condition of the road in the meantime is an absolute disgrace
    The dips and potholes are huge and the amount of gravel and stones left all over it is very dangerous.

Whoever is contracted for construction is doing a very poor job.

Literally just when through there 10 minutes ago, the dip as you are coming from town into the roundabout is dodgy alright. Seems to be dragging on a fair a bit, I'm assuming the bad weather has stopped them going out tonight though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭south

Looks like someone hit it coming from the ring road side. Lots of oil and part of the underside of the car left beside it the other day

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Infrastructural investment? In Waterford? I highly doubt it. :p

The road is (or was to be, but I doubt it due to the weather) being resurfaced tonight afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

This roundabout was supposed to be surfaced this week, there was signs up last week stating to expect delays from Tuesday through to Friday due to resurfacing, but id say the weather put a spanner in the works...

My problem with this roundabout is that it would have been more beneficial at the the main IDA entrance on the old Kilmeaden road just yards from where it is because that junction is way more busy than the junction they have built that roundabout at, i have worked on that estate for the past 13 years and its cock and balls trying to get out most days in busy periods, whereas the place they have the roundabout is handy and very rarely backed up if ever!! My theory if that the lads in the city council depot now based in the carrickpherish/northern extension estate wanted a handy little entrance and exit to their depot and looked after themselves!!

just my opinion!!

H

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

A roundabout at the main northern entrance to the estate was recently tendered and awarded but not sure when it is due to start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Heathen wrote: »
    it would have been more beneficial at the the main IDA entrance on the old Kilmeaden road just yards from where it is because that junction is way more busy than the junction they have built that roundabout at
    I do actually use both entrances. One to leave my fella at the preschool and collect him later, the other one to get to job. The main IDA entrance is not even remotely as busy as the one with the roundabout. Simple reason for that is where the roundabout is there were always cars coming from all the three directions and you were the last to leave the junction if turning right into the old Kilmeaden Road. Giving way to those coming into town, those coming towards Genzyme and those from Lismore Park willing to get to Genzyme or the An Post sorting office. It sometimes took 5 minutes waiting just right at the junction to finally be safe to take that turn, each morning before 9. Was fuming! This makes it the most longed for investment.

On the other hand Main IDA entrance is actually busy but never waited there that long being first in line. The only traffic is on the old Kilmeaden Road. Only seldom there is someone leaving NCT centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

They could sort the main IDA entrance easily. Put in a concrete divider forcing people to go left out of the estate and a few yards down the road to the roundabout. Sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭mecco

This roundabout was supposed to be surfaced this week, there was signs up last week stating to expect delays from Tuesday through to Friday due to resurfacing, but id say the weather put a spanner in the works...

My problem with this roundabout is that it would have been more beneficial at the the main IDA entrance on the old Kilmeaden road just yards from where it is because that junction is way more busy than the junction they have built that roundabout at, i have worked on that estate for the past 13 years and its cock and balls trying to get out most days in busy periods, whereas the place they have the roundabout is handy and very rarely backed up if ever!! My theory if that the lads in the city council depot now based in the carrickpherish/northern extension estate wanted a handy little entrance and exit to their depot and looked after themselves!!

just my opinion!!

H

Yeah the entrance you are on about does get busy, but I think they were right to do the one they did first. Thats four busy directions all meeting together. And you'd have people going half way and stopping when getting into or leaving the northern extension which means people on the cleaboy road (like me ;)) would have to stop suddenly for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

just my opinion!!

H

I don't think this has anything to do with council workers as you suggest. If you drive across the carrickpherish rd the council have a road going into the back of their place. The only thing is that it has a big barrier stopping cars from using it.
    Puzzles me why they don't use it tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

south wrote: »
    Looks like someone hit it coming from the ring road side. Lots of oil and part of the underside of the car left beside it the other day

I drove past the other night and the car was in the middle of the roundabout. Airbags out and everything. Must have been going at some speed.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

! My theory if that the lads in the city council depot now based in the carrickpherish/northern extension estate wanted a handy little entrance and exit to their depot and looked after themselves!!

just my opinion!!

H

This exactly, I work at the knockhouse estate and it can take ages to get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Sully wrote: »
    Infrastructural investment? In Waterford? I highly doubt it. :p

The road is (or was to be, but I doubt it due to the weather) being resurfaced tonight afaik.

Infrastructural investment? A roundabout? Sweet Jesus.:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

7upfree wrote: »
    Infrastructural investment? A roundabout? Sweet Jesus.:rolleyes:

Hell yeah. :D

tonc76 wrote: »
    A roundabout at the main northern entrance to the estate was recently tendered and awarded but not sure when it is due to start.

Oh it will start. You just won't be able to tell when it will be finished. That one at the Northern Estate is going on since at least November. In all fairness, it's some kerbing and a bit of resurfacing.

Sully wrote: »
    Hell yeah. :D

You're becoming more deluded Sully.:P

You're becoming more deluded Sully.:P

Quiet. I here there will be a footpath installed somewhere and tbh you shouldn't be complaining. That's some serious investment and we might even get some lines painted. :eek

Anyway, all joking aside, I drove down this way last night to get some absolutely gorgeous chips in the Cleaboy Chipper. The road warning signs don't appear to warn you of a dip, but warning of a new roundabout and road works should be enough to slow down drivers and advise them to have some cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Oh it will start. You just won't be able to tell when it will be finished. That one at the Northern Estate is going on since at least November. In all fairness, it's some kerbing and a bit of resurfacing.

It was a lot more than that in fairness, there were 24" concrete drains to be sorted first before anyone could realise that they were about to construct a roundabout.

danjo-xx wrote: »
    It was a lot more than that in fairness, there were 24" concrete drains to be sorted first before anyone could realise that they were about to construct a roundabout.

And this takes five months?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

I think this will see the birth of a new thread worst roads in Waterford!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I think this will see the birth of a new thread worst roads in Waterford!

The road to the Mount Sion GAA club has to win that hands down, atrocious potholes and splinters of glass everywhere, shocking. Also, parts of Hennessys Road could do with a real resurfacing as soon as possible :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

The road to the Mount Sion GAA club has to win that hands down, atrocious potholes and splinters of glass everywhere, shocking. Also, parts of Hennessys Road could do with a real resurfacing as soon as possible :eek:

the whole of Barracks street could do with resurfacing especially the top of bunkers hill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Works on the roundabout 'appear' to have stopped. Nothing seems to be done with it for over a week now from a cosmetic point of view. Fcukin ridiculous the way it's left tbh, does nothing for cars going through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Weather might be a factor I presume, low morning temperatures in particular

a lot of work going on there tonight traffic backed up all the way into the industrial estate bit strange to be doing it this time of night

a lot of work going on there tonight traffic backed up all the way into the industrial estate bit strange to be doing it this time of night

Not really. Off peak time on a very busy road. The whole thing is ridiculous. I've never seen anything take so long. It's a bloody roundabout for God's sake.

Must be a Guinness Book of Records attempt!

Not really. Off peak time on a very busy road. The whole thing is ridiculous. I've never seen anything take so long. It's a bloody roundabout for God's sake.

Aye its very common for road works in a city to take place at night to minimise disruption. There was a brief delay on the road due to complications. The angle of the road was changed and there was pipes laid also. The signage for a while was pretty poor but in recent days (well I only saw the updated signs recently) the signage has improved.

Anyway, it looks like it will be fixed by the morning as its full steam ahead tonight.

the whole of Barracks street could do with resurfacing especially the top of bunkers hill

i wonder did someone in the council see this comment :D because they have layed a new surface on the top of the hill!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

I see there is another new roundabout going at the northern entrance to the estate, just down from the one at the entrance to the northern extention.
    Work starting October 21st and estimated to take 3 months.

• Advertisement

I see there is another new roundabout going at the northern entrance to the estate, just down from the one at the entrance to the northern extention.
    Work starting October 21st and estimated to take 3 months.

That must be at the entrance on the left into the Estate where fas is and on the right entrance to NCT centre... badly needed indeed......

Advertisement