Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Butchers in South Co Dublin

Options
  • 22-03-2013 12:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of any butchers that do good deals in South County Dublin? Preferable Dun Laoghaire kind of area although I'm happy to travel. I used to go to the one in DL shopping centre ages ago and they had great deals on meat (10 chicken fillets for 10EUR) that kind of thing. I don't know if that butchers still exists though (it was on the ground floor) I need to stock up my freezer and prefer to get my meat in a butchers, if I can.

I bought some in the butchers in Dalkey recently and it was excellent quality - they also had a 6 chicken fillet for 8 euro deal and the meat was good. Looking for any better deals though if anyone knows of any!

I was going to pop over to Dundrum because the butcher in the centre has great prices and the meat is grand but thought I'd see if anyone knows of any others.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Mort5000

The butcher in Leopardstown Shopping Centre would be worth visiting. I've seen a few specials there over the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Have you tried Glasthule? I know one is organic top end stuff, but I'm sure the others do some good deals. I've definitely got bargains in the one next to Weafer and Cooper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Try James Whelan's in the Avoca shop in Monkstown...absolutlely fantastic...a little pricey but the quality is worth it..there's offers in store and they also have an online store to buy direct with free delivery on orders over €100 to anywhere in the country..they also have wing sauce if ye like your chicken wings that are to die for..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

They are often queing out the door at Fenelons in Stillorgan
    (good website)
    http://www.fenelons.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Thanks all, will check them out! I'm happy to pay more for the meat than the supermarket anyway, would rather have less meat but better quality so will check them out and report back!

Also, mmmm chicken wings. We're HUGE fans so would love to get my own sauce. We won't be eating out as much from now on so that would be a great purchase ;)

• Advertisement

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    Thanks all, will check them out! I'm happy to pay more for the meat than the supermarket anyway, would rather have less meat but better quality so will check them out and report back!

Also, mmmm chicken wings. We're HUGE fans so would love to get my own sauce. We won't be eating out as much from now on so that would be a great purchase ;)

Murdy their wing sauce is fantastic..as good as elephant and castle/tribeca versions....the medium heat is extremley hot, and i love the heat, so be forewarned....have a jar off their hot and almost afraid to use it..

brinty wrote: »
    Murdy their wing sauce is fantastic..as good as elephant and castle/tribeca versions....the medium heat is extremley hot, and i love the heat, so be forewarned....have a jar off their hot and almost afraid to use it..

Hubby is Indian so he likes his food very spicy! Will definitely be paying a visit now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Mort5000 wrote: »
    The butcher in Leopardstown Shopping Centre would be worth visiting. I've seen a few specials there over the years.

Hit and miss most of the time.
    brinty wrote: »
    Try James Whelan's in the Avoca shop in Monkstown...absolutlely fantastic...a little pricey but the quality is worth it..there's offers in store and they also have an online store to buy direct with free delivery on orders over €100 to anywhere in the country..they also have wing sauce if ye like your chicken wings that are to die for..

^^^Best butcher I have been to, well no problems so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

http://www.johnsmeatco.ie/ usually have a deal or two on the go, and just up the road from Dun Laoghaire. Also deliver :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Nutgrove is a bit of a journey for you but I would have to recommend FX Buckleys. They are very helpful, the meat quality is good and they have a good range of products, duck, rabbit, as well as the usual fare.
    John Downey in Terenure has some very good range of organic meat too

• Advertisement

Murdy, did ye ever get into Whelans? i was in their shop in Clonmel, dropped 170€ at the weekend and everything is fantstic so far.

No, haven't got in there yet but still intend to! We are in the process of purchasing a chest freezer so will be doing a big shop when that's arrived. I definitely want to get in and check out the sauces :)

I did actually buy some meat recently from the butchers in the Blackrock Shopping Centre - the deals were very good (Got 5 packs of meat for 20EUR - mince x 2, 4 pork chops and 8 chicken breasts). The meat was very nice. They had lots of other deals as well (10 chicken breasts for 10EUR and things like that). Would definitely recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I did actually buy some meat recently from the butchers in the Blackrock Shopping Centre - the deals were very good (Got 5 packs of meat for 20EUR - mince x 2, 4 pork chops and 8 chicken breasts). The meat was very nice. They had lots of other deals as well (10 chicken breasts for 10EUR and things like that). Would definitely recommend.

Was that the guy in the Frascati? I saw the 'five packs for €20' offer there in a butcher shop near Debenhams recently so I think you might mean the Frascati rather than the 'Blackrock' shopping centre across the road where Superquinn is located.

coylemj wrote: »
    Was that the guy in the Frascati? I saw the 'five packs for €20' offer there in a butcher shop near Debenhams recently so I think you might mean the Frascati rather than the 'Blackrock' shopping centre across the road where Superquinn is located.

Yep, it's the one next to Debenhams. I never know which centre is which!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Yep, it's the one next to Debenhams. I never know which centre is which!

The SC on the east (Dublin Bay) side of the Blackrock bypass is called the 'Blackrock Shopping Centre', the main tenant is Superquinn plus a lot of small units.

The one opposite with car parks on the front, side and rear and who's main tenants are Debenhams, McDonalds and Marks & Spencer plus a few smaller units is the Frascati S.C.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Courtneys factory outlet in the KCR estate I think has unbeatable value and quality I think. Its only open for a few hours to the public on thur/fri/sat 11-15:00 as far as i can remember and its quite busy on the Saturday with people walking out with huge bags of stuff. I see they do delivery online now too - http://courtneyfoodservice.com/

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement