Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

a history of photography in ireland?

• 22-03-2013 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    im looking for recommendations on where to start researching the history of photography in Ireland. I have come across alot on the development and history of the medium itself, and specifically the domestic presence of photography... which is what im hoping to concentrate on. But I am struggling to find anything localized to Ireland. If anyone could recommend any specific texts or where to start I would greatly appreciate it.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I have no specific notion of somewhere to begin, but I'd be really interested in anything you come up with.

I suppose the best places to start would be the universities. Photography was an extremely expensive pursuit (it still sort of is) so I'd imagine that universities would have the type of person who could afford to do photography attending. I'd imagine there's two routes, first of all there's the actual libraries themselves for research. I'd imagine you could find quite a few publications on documenting the country through the librarians. If you get an outside readers card from an NUIG Uni you'll get access to all the others' stores. (And I've found librarians are generally waiting for a really interesting research challenge, so could very well want to help you.)

The other way through the unis would be that they probably have their own internal documentation process and history process. I wouldn't be surprised if the libraries manage this on a catalogue basis as well. If any significant photographers went through the university they'd have records of them their. If you're going for vernacular photography you could look at the likes of art unis in Dublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

You could try the National Photographic Archive in Temple Bar. It's part of the National Library of Ireland.

http://www.nli.ie/en/photographs-introduction.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

There's also the National Library of Ireland archive on Flickr Commons http://www.flickr.com/photos/nlireland/ Though it's a bit unstructured.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭VinDevo

A good book about early Irish Photography

Photography in Ireland - The Nineteenth Century, Chandler, Edward (ISBN: 0946130345 / 0-946130-34-5)

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭greener greene

Justin Carville recently released a book about the history of photography in Ireland. It should be available in the gallery of photography book shop.

• Advertisement
Advertisement