Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Benedict Anderson/ Imagined Communities/ Nationalism

Options
  • 22-03-2013 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

I've recently read Imagined Communities and love it. I do, however, have a scruple. Anderson suggests that "from the start the nation was conceived in language and one could be 'invited into' the imagined community".

Is Anderson here suggesting that a (national) language is ubiquitous with nationality?

Such a suggestion might be supported by thinking of Ireland: those who have so much as a smattering of the Irish language generally think of themselves as being Irish.

Despite this, such a suggestion is also incredibly, incredibly problematic: those second-generation immigrants to London who have no English, yet were born in, and lived their whole lives in, London are, nevertheless, English, albeit some hyphenated form thereof. I cannot imagine Anderson making such a mistake, so perhaps I picked him up incorrectly.

Anybody got any thoughts?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

While I've not read Mr. Anderson's book, it has been positively referenced a lot in some courses I'd done. Language does seem to be a building block of nationalities. From a simple sense an example would be that person speaks the same tongue as I, hence a connection exists. There are some genuninely stable multilingual countries, such as Switzerland. But diverse language issues have prove major barriers to larger metropoles, for instance that of Austo-Hungary.

Advertisement