Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil Boiler Servicing

• 22-03-2013 1:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭

The customer has seen it, whether its woucha or any of these other special offer sites, its being put out there that a Oil Boiler Service can be done for as little as €40.
    We the Engineers are the ones out there following up on these €40 services, this thread is a place to discuse it and let the customer know the truth about what they should get and what some have had.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭TPM

The good old "cheap" boiler service.
    Firstly an oil boiler service isnt just a 20min job throwing an eve over the boiler and burner.
    To properly service a boiler and burner takes at least 1-1.5 hrs

If you are lucky with "cheap" service you will get a new nozzle and a hover stuck in through the burner opening, but in most cases you dont even get that.

It is important to note that the only way you can tell if a burner is set up correctly and efficiently is with a flue gas analyser (FGA), and If one isnt used the boiler isnt serviced correctly.

If someone doesnt post up a list of what an oil boiler service should include I will post one up when get a bit more time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Did you know that soot 1mm in thickness inside your boiler can reduce heat transfer by 10%, while a 3mm layer can reduce it by 50%!
    Poor heat transfer means poor energy efficiency and higher kerosene consumption.
    Regular servicing ensures that your boiler is running at optimum efficiency, reduces the risk of sooting and therefore saves you money.

Boiler & Burner Service (Standard Efficiency Boilers)

• Inspect & clean fuel filter
    • Inspect & test operation of fuel shut off valve
    • Inspect & test operation of remote acting fire valve where fitted
    • Inspect air inlets to boiler room for blockages and correct sizing
    • Inspect draught stabilizer where applicable
    • Inspect & clean flame chamber
    • Inspect burner refractory
    • Inspect & clean baffles
    • Inspect & clean burner diffuser & burner blast tube
    • Inspect ignition transformer, HT cable & porcelain for deterioration
    • Inspect & clean photocell
    • Inspect, clean & adjust burner electrodes
    • Calculate correct output of boiler & fit new burner nozzle to suit installation
    • Adjust burner pump pressure & air ratio
    • Inspect & test operation of boiler thermostat & boiler high limit thermostat
    • Inspect & test operation of flame failure device
    • Carry Out Full Combustion & Efficiency Analysis with Flue Gas Analysizer:
    a. Boiler Combustion Analysis O² (Oxygen)
    b. Boiler Combustion Analysis CO (Carbon Monoxide)
    c. Boiler Combustion Analysis CO² (Carbon Dioxide)
    d. Boiler Combustion Flue Temperature
    e. Printed Report with Combustion Efficiency
    f. Full Explanation of Results

Boiler & Burner Service (High Efficiency Boilers)

• All of the above, plus
    • Inspect & clean condensate trap
    • Inspect & clean condensate pipework
    • Inspect & clean all secondary turbulators

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭crock!

The oil tank would also be checked on every
    Service. To check for leaks and marks on it for a week spot. (A white line)
    Tank should be supported with lintels and
    Consideration of wheater it can blow over and should it be straped down.
    Dont tilt a tank as this interferes with the fittings on your oil line and may cause a leak.
    Plus theres also the environmental side of where a tank is located and fire restrictions.

shane0007 wrote: »
    Did you know that soot 1mm in thickness inside your boiler can reduce heat transfer by 10%, while a 3mm layer can reduce it by 50%!
    Poor heat transfer means poor energy efficiency and higher kerosene consumption.
    Regular servicing ensures that your boiler is running at optimum efficiency, reduces the risk of sooting and therefore saves you money.

Boiler & Burner Service (Standard Efficiency Boilers)

• Inspect & clean fuel filter
    • Inspect & test operation of fuel shut off valve
    • Inspect & test operation of remote acting fire valve where fitted
    • Inspect air inlets to boiler room for blockages and correct sizing
    • Inspect draught stabilizer where applicable
    • Inspect & clean flame chamber
    • Inspect burner refractory
    • Inspect & clean baffles
    • Inspect & clean burner diffuser & burner blast tube
    • Inspect ignition transformer, HT cable & porcelain for deterioration
    • Inspect & clean photocell
    • Inspect, clean & adjust burner electrodes
    • Calculate correct output of boiler & fit new burner nozzle to suit installation
    • Adjust burner pump pressure & air ratio
    • Inspect & test operation of boiler thermostat & boiler high limit thermostat
    • Inspect & test operation of flame failure device
    • Carry Out Full Combustion & Efficiency Analysis with Flue Gas Analysizer:
    a. Boiler Combustion Analysis O² (Oxygen)
    b. Boiler Combustion Analysis CO (Carbon Monoxide)
    c. Boiler Combustion Analysis CO² (Carbon Dioxide)
    d. Boiler Combustion Flue Temperature
    e. Printed Report with Combustion Efficiency
    f. Full Explanation of Results

Boiler & Burner Service (High Efficiency Boilers)

• All of the above, plus
    • Inspect & clean condensate trap
    • Inspect & clean condensate pipework
    • Inspect & clean all secondary turbulators

Check oil pipework and filter for leaks
    Check oil line fuel filter as well oil pump fuel filter, some oil line filters have paper elements which cant be cleaned and have to be replaced
    Check oil tank for correct installation and location
    Check boiler for correct installation particularly flue termination
    Check wiring and electrical connections are correct and safe, including proper means of isolation
    Check condition of flue and flue connections
    Check condensate is piped to a suitable drain or soak away
    Check boiler pipework and fittings for water leaks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

thanks to shane for the very informative post and crock and tpm for the add ons

but with zero national media coverage i think we are banging our heads off a brick wall and it is impossible to get the message out there

at least the gas industry are highlighting the dangers of gas and who must do the work

until we have something like this in the oil industry then these 40eu merchants are going to flourish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

All you can do is slate them, slate them at every opportunity to anyone who’ll listen.
    I had a couple this week...

“Noise after service”, I called out and on inspection found that the hydraulic ram had been removed and left dangling in mid air, the shocker was a 4” paint roller jammed into the air intake to hold the intake plate open.

Another…. “Smell of fumes - just serviced”, on arrival powerful smell of Kero, had smell before service that was the initial call out, on inspection couldn’t honestly find any sign of a “service” to the boiler other than a micky mouse invoice for €88 that included a nozzle and flexy, neither had been changed, in fact when I came to replacing the flexies (2) that dropped through the floor to a basement where a Tigerloop was fitted I was met at the basement door by a floor covered in Kero coming from a badly corroded Tigerloop fitted on the wall, the entire wall and floor was soaked in Kero.

So here’s where we have yet another problem, I put it all right, carry out full service, CD11 and print out and present the invoice for €163 to a now very sceptical customer who now believes I charge €163 to do a boiler service and no doubt will be telling her family and friends about me and not the guy before me.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

4” paint roller jammed into the air intake to hold the intake plate open

Thanks for the tip Billy. Will save me having to replace the jack seal in future. Great tip.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

had a call out last year firebird 90

made clear the reason i got the call their usual service guy had a recent family tragedy and didnt want to call him on investigation found birds nest in the flu no fluguard fitted open the the boiler not a baffle to be seen dig a bit deeper 1.0 nozzle fitted running at 12bar kerosene advised the approx cost to put right and they looked at me as if i was dick turpin but agreed to go ahead with the job

serviced it again recently and the boilers of two other family members

his usual service charge only 85eu as they were good customers ouch ??????

One of my bugbears is when the boiler house or area is used as a paint store and when I explain the dangers, I am looked on as a right old fusspot. "Sure it been like that for years and none of the other lads ever complained about it"
    Same reaction when I write up faults and recommendations on the CD11. I just have to hope that my explanations for all of this is getting home and that I am not getting a fusspot name for myself.

Still fec kin pouring here. Anyone know where I can get my hands on one of those little tent things that the eircom lads have. Have to look at a modular boiler that has just stopped.

btw on servicing. I don't think anyone mentioned checking pressure vessel and using water finder paste on oil tank. Must be getting nearer to a 2 hour service now. Mind you I don't manage to do them much faster than that anyway from arrival time to driving away time. But then I usually have a cuppa while filing in the CD11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

Wearb wrote: »
    One of my bugbears is when the boiler house or area is used as a paint store and when I explain the dangers, I am looked on as a right old fusspot. "Sure it been like that for years and none of the other lads ever complained about it"
    Same reaction when I write up faults and recommendations on the CD11. I just have to hope that my explanations for all of this is getting home and that I am not getting a fusspot name for myself.

Still fec kin pouring here. Anyone know where I can get my hands on one of those little tent things that the eircom lads have. Have to look at a modular boiler that has just stopped.

btw on servicing. I don't think anyone mentioned checking pressure vessel and using water finder paste on oil tank. Must be getting nearer to a 2 hour service now. Mind you I don't manage to do them much faster than that anyway from arrival time to driving away time. But then I usually have a cuppa while filing in the CD11
    Wouldn't mind one of those tents alright but the assembly of them would be a pain in the arse. I wonder if there's such a thing as a pop up one that folds away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34 ServiceGuy

What about when doing the service as per the lists above and the customer asks what's taking so long? It doesn't normally take more than a few minutes. I also issue the TI/133D and get very strange looks when explaining it to the customer, one or two almost sent me packing thinking I was going to be sending the report to the government.
    I got my pop-up gazebo(tent) from kmsdirectshops on ebay. One of my best pieces of equipment in this weather.

ServiceGuy wrote: »
    What about when doing the service as per the lists above and the customer asks what's taking so long? It doesn't normally take more than a few minutes. I also issue the TI/133D and get very strange looks when explaining it to the customer, one or two almost sent me packing thinking I was going to be sending the report to the government.
    I got my pop-up gazebo(tent) from kmsdirectshops on ebay. One of my best pieces of equipment in this weather.

Had a look on ebay. They all seem to large and likely to be swept away by the wind. Do you have a link to a nice neat and robust one?

Had a look on ebay. They all seem to large and likely to be swept away by the wind. Do you have a link to a nice neat and robust one?

You do realise your about to add another hour onto the service :D

I see what you mean, but I hate getting wet.
    I would hate it even more if I saw some other service van outside of the house that I long fingered because of the rain. How do you win..........

Perhaps I could get one of those big gazebo's and a little table for to go into it, then I could save time by having my cuppa while I worked. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭whackball

Hi al,

What should I expect to pay for a proper boiler service. I has a friend who is RGI reg who use to do it and he would spend a good hour or more. I've also used guys through Bord Gais over the years who would be in and out in 20mins for between €75 to €100. I need to service the boiler soon and would like to know what cost to expect and what to look out for as in avoiding cowboys..cheers

whackball wrote: »
    Hi al,

What should I expect to pay for a proper boiler service. I has a friend who is RGI reg who use to do it and he would spend a good hour or more. I've also used guys through Bord Gais over the years who would be in and out in 20mins for between €75 to €100. I need to service the boiler soon and would like to know what cost to expect and what to look out for as in avoiding cowboys..cheers

You need to read this thread.......

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056638364

jimf wrote: »
    thanks to shane for the very informative post and crock and tpm for the add ons

but with zero national media coverage i think we are banging our heads off a brick wall and it is impossible to get the message out there

at least the gas industry are highlighting the dangers of gas and who must do the work

until we have something like this in the oil industry then these 40eu merchants are going to flourish

This thread might just help people see the difference between a cowboy service and a proper one

But it stops the frost killing the paint :p
    I have been to one particular boiler a few times over the years and every time I open the door I see this lovely can of wd40 sitting on the top plate of the boiler, they still cant see the problem

the only problem with checking the pressure vessel charge is that it should be done with zero pressure on the water side which would mean removing it or draining down the system.

The safety valve should also be checked, mind you alot of these wont reseal after they are opened and then you get the "that wasnt leaking before you were at it"

Lately I have also been checking the capacitors during a service as I have been called back to a few that had failed

The safety valve should also be checked, mind you alot of these wont reseal after they are opened and then you get the "that wasnt leaking before you were at it"

That reminds me of something that I came across a while ago. A second safety valve had been fitted onto the leaking one, rather than drain down and replace. It is probably not allowed, but I cant think of what is wrong with doing that. If 3 bar gets through to the second one, then it will also open. Am I missing something?

That reminds me of something that I came across a while ago. A second safety valve had been fitted onto the leaking one, rather than drain down and replace. It is probably not allowed, but I cant think of what is wrong with doing that. If 3 bar gets through to the second one, then it will also open. Am I missing something?

It isnt allowed
    Two reasons I can think of off the top of my head are

*The safety valve has mechanical parts that could stick and prevent the pressure being released, the risk of this happening is quite low, I have never seen it happen, but if you have 2 safety valves in line you are doubling the chances of a failure preventing the pressure being released.

*If you have 2 safety valves inline it will substantially reduce the speed at which pressure can be released which could result in pressure in the system causing damage before it escapes

• Advertisement

I see what you mean, but I hate getting wet.
    I would hate it even more if I saw some other service van outside of the house that I long fingered because of the rain. How do you win..........

Perhaps I could get one of those big gazebo's and a little table for to go into it, then I could save time by having my cuppa while I worked. :)
    The one I saw on eBay just now is 1.8 x 1.8 x 2 metres. If it was easily folded up or assembled in seconds it would be great

What size is your tent?
    Does it take long to assemble?

Another reason to use an Oftec registered Technician is that they are obliged to have insurance to cover servicing and installation of oil boilers and systems including clean up of oil leakage (which can be extremely expensive depending on volume running into millions) you wont get that for a €40 service, and its only a matter of time before house insurance wont cover anything in relation to boilers

TPM wrote: »
    Another reason to use an Oftec registered Technician is that they are obliged to have insurance to cover servicing and installation of oil boilers and systems including clean up of oil leakage (which can be extremely expensive depending on volume running into millions) you wont get that for a €40 service, and its only a matter of time before house insurance wont cover anything in relation to boilers

As you mention it it just so happened that i did a service today and it was only serviced in October by an Oftec man, it was sooted up and the FGA was just mad, i asked the Lady for the print out left by the "Oftec" man, nothing left other than a business card which i have here in front of me, the back of the card reads,"OIL and GAS boiler servicing, Gas appliance installations, plumbing and heating, OFTEC registered,vat registered, insured, and so on. I have just finished doing a search and there is no listing of this chap or business either on the Oftec site or the RGII site, although he is clearly using the logos, he has a Facebook and Linkedin page, both pushing his Oftec and RGII logo. :rolleyes:

As you mention it it just so happened that i did a service today and it was only serviced in October by an Oftec man, it was sooted up and the FGA was just mad, i asked the Lady for the print out left by the "Oftec" man, nothing left other than a business card which i have here in front of me, the back of the card reads,"OIL and GAS boiler servicing, Gas appliance installations, plumbing and heating, OFTEC registered,vat registered, insured, and so on. I have just finished doing a search and there is no listing of this chap or business either on the Oftec site or the RGII site, although he is clearly using the logos, he has a Facebook and Linkedin page, both pushing his Oftec and RGII logo. :rolleyes:

Did you ever get the feeling we are fighting a loosing battle :(

Why don't Oftec advertise here on tv?

Dtp79 wrote: »
    Why don't Oftec advertise here on tv?

Because at the moment Oftec have no power over here. There is no requirement to register with them or any other body to work on oil boilers, It Is a good standard that should be enforced, and we register up in the hope that if enough people are registered It will help bring in some regulation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34 ServiceGuy

Dtp79 wrote: »
    What size is your tent?
    Does it take long to assemble?
    It's 2m x 2m. Opens up in a minute or 2. The legs are telescopic. It can be dodgy in high wind but if it's too windy I leave the legs down and it's about 3ft high then, it has optional side panels but I have only used one side.
    Another thing to point out in this thread would be the top access boilers that are under a kitchen counter that can't be removed because it has a sink built in. Customer says that it's been serviced regular and was never a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭crock!

It's 2m x 2m. Opens up in a minute or 2. The legs are telescopic. It can be dodgy in high wind but if it's too windy I leave the legs down and it's about 3ft high then, it has optional side panels but I have only used one side.
    Another thing to point out in this thread would be the top access boilers that are under a kitchen counter that can't be removed because it has a sink built in. Customer says that it's been serviced regular and was never a problem.
    In that case with a a boiler that has its baffles removed from the top.if I cant get access then I tell them to get a kitchen guy to make an access point.i wouldnt go next to near it unless it can be done right.i recommend my own guy and if I think there just going to move on to a fellow that wears spurs on his boots then I charge a call out fee.most people are fine when take the time to explain what has to be done

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

I often wonder do the lads only offer a burner service only and that's why its cheap,and the customer is none the wiser.

Advertisement