Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oil Boiler Servicing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭Cerco

shane0007 wrote: »
    I am thinking of running this special offer but just change the words to "Boiler Service".
    Do you think it will work?

Great deal! You can eat them while you get that full boiler serviced for €40.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

Could we sticky his topic please Mod ??

Reported to Mod.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Now a sticky. As requested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭TPM

Had a nice one yesterday, got called to a boiler that was "serviced" during the week.
    The boiler wouldnt fire up during the week so a lad was called, when he came out he "fixed it" saying it would be €50 for that and he could service it while he was there for another €40.
    I got called 2 days later because it wouldnt fire up again and there was a strong smell of Kerosene and the other lad would not come back out.

When I took out the burner the boiler was soaked inside with kerosene.
    Turns out the photocell was gone, and to get around this the coil was rewired to the live connection for the motor so once the motor ran the solenoide valve opened letting oil in.
    Luckily that a combination of an old nozzle and dirty electrodes(after the €40 service) prevented the burner firing and possible disaster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

TPM wrote: »
    Had a nice one yesterday, got called to a boiler that was "serviced" during the week.
    The boiler wouldnt fire up during the week so a lad was called, when he came out he "fixed it" saying it would be €50 for that and he could service it while he was there for another €40.
    I got called 2 days later because it wouldnt fire up again and there was a strong smell of Kerosene and the other lad would not come back out.

Turns out the photocell was gone, and to get around this the coil was rewired to the live connection for the motor so once the motor ran the solenoide valve opened letting oil in.
    Luckily that a combination of an old nozzle and dirty electrodes(after the €40 service) prevented the burner firing and possible disaster
    Jesus that's a first for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

That is shocking.seriously why would someone do that when they can buy a cell for 20 euro.

Pure cowboy material.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

crock! wrote: »
    Where I am they use a universal nozzle.wow its .55 80s it does a 50 70 and a 50 90 even a 120 150 condensing boiler.they also take them yoks out of the way.the baffles.i have found them behind the oil tanks and boilers
    That is shocking.seriously why would someone do that when they can buy a cell for 20 euro.

Pure cowboy material.

And probably took alot more effort

Dtp79 wrote: »
    Jesus that's a first for me

Pure cowboy material.

I couldnt believe it when I spotted it, I checked the wiring 5 times to make sure I wasnt mistaking, then I sat and counted my blessings that I hadnt hit the reset button before I checked it out

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,318 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Would have thought that continuous mains voltage would have burned out the solenoid... ffers burn out when needed and remain in good condition when you would rather they would break, like in that instance.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Advertisement

I couldnt believe it when I spotted it, I checked the wiring 5 times to make sure I wasnt mistaking, then I sat and counted my blessings that I hadnt hit the reset button before I checked it out
    Jesus imagine if somebody did something as crazy as that to a gas boiler. Jail

Wearb wrote: »
    Would have thought that continuous mains voltage would have burned out the solenoid... ffers burn out when needed and remain in good condition when you would rather they would break, like in that instance.

Yea trust them to remain reliable the one time you would want them to fail.
    It was wired in with the motor live so it was only energised when the motor was running

Jesus imagine if somebody did something as crazy as that to a gas boiler. Jail

They would deserve jail for doing that to oil or gas. It goes so far beyond cowboy into dangerous it is unbelievable

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Jesus, just when you think things couldn't get worse!

DGOBS wrote: »
    Jesus, just when you think things couldn't get worse!

I thought twice about posting it just incase it gave anyone any ideas, but reckoned I had to put it up to let people know it happened and just to keep it in mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭jimf

I thought twice about posting it just incase it gave anyone any ideas, but reckoned I had to put it up to let people know it happened and just to keep it in mind

might be an idea if we all posted the not so funny ****e we come across from day to day

im sure the lads doing gas on here could report some hair raising stories

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭crock!

Another thing to look out for is a reflectory plate. Some boilers have them and others dont.i always check to see if there is one b4 I start cleaning the boiler.i open a boiler today a 90 120 and check the base and no reflectory plate so it was just dirt.i proceed to do a service and I was useing my fga and I got an odd smell.i knew the burner was sweet but then I see smoke comeing from under it.there was no reflectory plate and It got that hot that it started to burn the bits of crap under it.when the boiler was so dirty it stoped the heat going through. The bottom of the boiler had a belly in it (no leaks) .some fool had removed the plate at some stage.it was a warm flow.

Another thing to look out for is a reflectory plate. Some boilers have them and others dont.i always check to see if there is one b4 I start cleaning the boiler.i open a boiler today a 90 120 and check the base and no reflectory plate so it was just dirt.i proceed to do a service and I was useing my fga and I got an odd smell.i knew the burner was sweet but then I see smoke comeing from under it.there was no reflectory plate and It got that hot that it started to burn the bits of crap under it.when the boiler was so dirty it stoped the heat going through. The bottom of the boiler had a belly in it (no leaks) .some fool had removed the plate at some stage.it was a warm flow.

what did you do to rectify

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

Most warmflows have rock wool insulation
    In the base of them so usually when the boilers are been serviced they just end up hovered up

jimf wrote: »

what did you do to rectify
    Used the same stuff I use for gaskets 10mm ×2

Used the same stuff I use for gaskets 10mm ×2

you can purchase 4ft x 4ft x 20mm sheet of durobord approx 40e

• Advertisement

If they have it and when they do they charge 60e.in my local heat merchant it 30 for 10mm.

If they have it and when they do they charge 60e.in my local heat merchant it 30 for 10mm.

good jesus thats crazy and i know im not getting it best price either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

May i ask where do you buy this at this price,it sounds like a good price to me

agusta wrote: »

pm sent

i think shane 0007 uses a similar product better priced again

Thanks jimf

Im buying gasket board 47" by 40" -20mm thick from a plumbing merchants.im getting it for 80 euro because they know me!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭Austin1

Hi Folks

A question for the learned posters on this helpful thread: on 5th Feb last I ordered €500 of home heating kerosene for a 3 bed detached bungalow circa 1000sq ft. I don't have any major problems in heat loss from the home.

Tank is as dry as a feckin bone by 24th March?? Surely that can't be right? I know we've been leaving it on a lot but surely the oil should last longer than that??

I've a lock on the tank so thievery can be ruled out. Its a fairly reputable oil delivery company whom I've used for years so I don't think its them. Had a quick check on the ground around the tank and there seems to be no signs of leakage from the tank.

Could the oil boiler be the problem? Haven't had it properly serviced since moving in, around 2004(it was only a year or two old at the time). Its a Firebird Popular 90 with a Riello 40 burner.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Austin

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,318 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Not serviced in 9 YEARS! I think that that would be a good starting point. Probably been heating the atmosphere for years. That is excessive use for a house that size. How much attic insulation? Double glazing? Wall insulation? How far is the boiler from the house? But first of all have it properly serviced by somebody who will do a proper cleaning job and use a flue gas analyser to fine tune it. Also insist in a print-out of the results. btw be kind to your next service person and tell them how long it has been since last service, so that he can free up extra time for your call.
    After such a long period, the service will pay for itself in probable less than one heating season.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Austin1 wrote: »
    Could the oil boiler be the problem? Haven't had it properly serviced since moving in, around 2004(it was only a year or two old at the time). Its a Firebird Popular 90 with a Riello 40 burner.

A boiler that hasnt been serviced for 9 years will certainly be costing you quite a bit of money.
    A good boiler service with the use of FGA equipment will save anyone at least the cost of a service and in your case much much more, and remember, piece of mind is thrown in as an extra free of charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

o lordy i missed the 9 years bit. jesus get it serviced will ya.

probaly dribbling oil out of the nossle

Hi Folks

A question for the learned posters on this helpful thread: on 5th Feb last I ordered €500 of home heating kerosene for a 3 bed detached bungalow circa 1000sq ft. I don't have any major problems in heat loss from the home.

Tank is as dry as a feckin bone by 24th March?? Surely that can't be right? I know we've been leaving it on a lot but surely the oil should last longer than that??

I've a lock on the tank so thievery can be ruled out. Its a fairly reputable oil delivery company whom I've used for years so I don't think its them. Had a quick check on the ground around the tank and there seems to be no signs of leakage from the tank.

Regards

Austin
    You probably get your car and van serviced once or twice a year.a good service will make a huge difference. As mentioned in earlier post a good technician will make all the difference.

hi guys

with all other readings as per manf spec whats the highest co reading your happy to leave the boiler running at oil only

Hi Folks

Regards

Austin

Thanks for all the feedback - now, can anyone recommend a suitably FGA equipped technician to do the service? I have had plumbers/handymen look at it over the years but they have given my boiler nowhere near the love and attention that's recommended on this thread.

I'm in Dublin 15 and would appreciate a pm from anyone on here who can help?

Cheers

Austin

hi guys

with all other readings as per manf spec whats the highest co reading your happy to leave the boiler running at oil only
    The Oftec answer to that jim is.... Have your CO as low as possible. What reading are you getting?

The Oftec answer to that jim is.... Have your CO as low as possible. What reading are you getting?

its not that im getting bad readings or anything like that 95% between 10 and 20 its more like a general pick your brains question as we all know your going to get the little bastard thats going to wreck your head and theres no obvious problem that should be causing it

its not that im getting bad readings or anything like that 95% between 10 and 20 its more like a general pick your brains question as we all know your going to get the little bastard thats going to wreck your head and theres no obvious problem that should be causing it
    I know what yer sayin alright but once the c02 is right and the co/co2 ratio is acceptable then the co itself should be totally fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

I know what yer sayin alright but once the c02 is right and the co/co2 ratio is acceptable then the co itself should be totally fine
    Ratio is more important. Keep ratio at 3 zeros and you won't go wrong. CO under 100 is the magic number but near 100 I would be looking at the why's. Is it age, air, or some other issue?

If there is no obvious problem and baffles and flue ok etc,burner set up ok with new nozzle,and still getting a high co i would change the new nozzle fitted to another new one the same as a small percentage of new nozzles are actually faulty and can cause a high co reading

• Advertisement

If there is no obvious problem and baffles and flue ok etc,burner set up ok with new nozzle,and still getting a high co i would change the new nozzle fitted to another new one the same as a small percentage of new nozzles are actually faulty and can cause a high co reading

had 1 just like that last year on a warmflow he boiler

As you mention it it just so happened that i did a service today and it was only serviced in October by an Oftec man, it was sooted up and the FGA was just mad, i asked the Lady for the print out left by the "Oftec" man, nothing left other than a business card which i have here in front of me, the back of the card reads,"OIL and GAS boiler servicing, Gas appliance installations, plumbing and heating, OFTEC registered,vat registered, insured, and so on. I have just finished doing a search and there is no listing of this chap or business either on the Oftec site or the RGII site, although he is clearly using the logos, he has a Facebook and Linkedin page, both pushing his Oftec and RGII logo. :rolleyes:

I decide to put the rgii's "report illegal work" option to the test today and report this cowboy, wasn't sure if Oftec had cloat so decided to stick with the rgii for this one.
    What a joke!! Filled out what has to be a totally irrelevent online form but gave all the relevent info that would be required if anyone did wish to persue this "company", i even gave a link to the facebook page and copy of the business card, i put myself out to do this only to push the send button and loose the lot with a "sorry we had a problem", checked my in box and no conformation notifigation email received, make one think that they just really dont want to know, has anyone used this option with any success or acknowledgment ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

had 1 just like that last year on a warmflow he boiler
    HE Warmflows nearly always have very high CO due to over-airing. The very short nose blast tube combined with extremely short combustion chamber leads to low air requirement. The settings they come with from the factory are set by Riello & not Warmflow so you need to be very careful when installing.

shane0007 wrote: »
    HE Warmflows nearly always have very high CO due to over-airing. The very short nose blast tube combined with extremely short combustion chamber leads to low air requirement. The settings they come with from the factory are set by Riello & not Warmflow so you need to be very careful when installing.

your spot on there shane could hardly believe the air damper setting i think 1.5 .75 60es nozzle got it right eventually but it was a pig to sort

and speaking of warmflow he always have a rubber gasket for the secondary heat exchanger door in the van if it hasnt been serviced regularly it most likely will come away in about 10 pieces

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

Another reason to use an Oftec registered Technician is that they are obliged to have insurance to cover servicing and installation of oil boilers and systems including clean up of oil leakage (which can be extremely expensive depending on volume running into millions) you wont get that for a €40 service, and its only a matter of time before house insurance wont cover anything in relation to boilers

I done my OFTEC training but I never registered with the organisation as it is not mandatory.
    Being a member of an organisation does not mean the right man for the job is being employed as I have my self mopped up after a few situations where OFTEC technicians have been before me.
    It was the same story from the customers be it gas or oil when I told them to report it "ah sure what's the point"

From working in both fields I would say there is more unsafe oil installations out there than gas (my own opinion of course) and a good bit of that is because the home owner has had a go.

• Advertisement

JohnnieK wrote: »
    I done my OFTEC training but I never registered with the organisation as it is not mandatory.
    Being a member of an organisation does not mean the right man for the job is being employed as I have my self mopped up after a few situations where OFTEC technicians have been before me.
    It was the same story from the customers be it gas or oil when I told them to report it "ah sure what's the point"

From working in both fields I would say there is more unsafe oil installations out there than gas (my own opinion of course) and a good bit of that is because the home owner has had a go.

While I tend to agree that a few idiots may slip through and register with Oftec, most who do the “training” realise that the “training” is useless unless the trainee had a sound background for the “training”, they finish the “training” and are then met with having to spend out a large amount of money before they can register and they then have their abilities inspected and assessed, most realise that the “training” alone will not give them the abilities and as such they don’t risk the financial outlay.
    I also agree that there are Engineers out there who have far more abilities than most Oftec Registered Engineers, the have the equipment and spent years carrying out their work without feeling the need to become a part of Oftec.
    What I see with the Oftec label is something that the customer can look for, a benchmark, it may not be perfect but if the customer finds a Oftec Registered Engineer they can be sure that they have at least some training, and confidence in their abilities, they are insured, have the required equipment, and there is a body behind them that the customer can complain to. Its not at all perfect but it is at least something, until something better comes along. ;)

I dont work on gas but I would agree with you on this. I put this down to two reasons.
    *People see Gas as being dangerous and oil as being safe and as such there tends to be less regard to oil safety, regulations and recommendations.
    *There are laws backing up the correct installation and maintenance of gas but not for oil and there for a lot more cowboy and diy semi-diy installations.

Again I agree here there registration is not mandatory, ant is quite expensive for something that is not mandatory and doesnt really have any power, but it is a reference point for customers and offers some back up if/when things go wrong
    In every trade, area, business there will be people who are not as capable as they should be, this goes for plumbing in general, oil, gas, electrical work, builders, mechanics etc
    Oftec, or other registration bodies should reduce the chances of getting incompetent people.
    But likewise and as Bill says some of the best may not be registered, there seem to be more reasons not to register with oftec at the moment than there are to register.
    But oil needs some regulation/ body to try help bring it into line and as far as I am aware Oftec is the most likely body to end up involved in this, and IMO the more registered members they have will promote and encourage the need for this and
    While I tend to agree that a few idiots may slip through and register with Oftec, most who do the “training” realise that the “training” is useless unless the trainee had a sound background for the “training”, they finish the “training” and are then met with having to spend out a large amount of money before they can register and they then have their abilities inspected and assessed, most realise that the “training” alone will not give them the abilities and as such they don’t risk the financial outlay.
    I also agree that there are Engineers out there who have far more abilities than most Oftec Registered Engineers, the have the equipment and spent years carrying out their work without feeling the need to become a part of Oftec.
    What I see with the Oftec label is something that the customer can look for, a benchmark, it may not be perfect but if the customer finds a Oftec Registered Engineer they can be sure that they have at least some training, and confidence in their abilities, they are insured, have the required equipment, and there is a body behind them that the customer can complain to. Its not at all perfect but it is at least something, until something better comes along. ;)

One problem with Oftec "training" is that it is in safety, rules, regulations and requirements when working with oil. It isnt in actual oil service or installation. The purpose of Oftec is to ensure members carry out work safely and within local laws, rules and regulations.
    Untill there enforceable regulation put in place Oftec is the only visual reference available to the public, backed up by the members requirement to be insured and follow guidelines or their membership be revoked.

There are are flaws in the whole plumbing/heating area in Ireland and by the looks of it it is going be down to the "Plumbers/technicians" to encourage regulation

Thanks for all the feedback - now, can anyone recommend a suitably FGA equipped technician to do the service? I have had plumbers/handymen look at it over the years but they have given my boiler nowhere near the love and attention that's recommended on this thread.

I'm in Dublin 15 and would appreciate a pm from anyone on here who can help?

Cheers

Austin

Hi All

Sorry to bump this but my request above seems to have got lost in the ether. Can anyone recommend a suitably qualified person to give my oil boiler a comprehensive service? PMs welcome!

Cheers

Austin

The Oftec search engine is here.......... http://www.oftec.org/Technicians/Index

Pop in your area and up they come, remember to ask the right question so they are aware of what you expect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

I heard rumours over a year ago that they where supposed to be doing to the oil industry what they did to the gas. Why didn't they do both at the same time?

• Advertisement
Advertisement