Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil Boiler Servicing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

the nozzle wont make a major difference but i always like to change like for like if possible after all the boiler manf do all the tests/research into what nozzle suits their particular boilers so who are we to change away from their specs

but changing the nozzle will have an effect on the combustion settings of your boiler and should have been set up properly to manf spec using pressure gauge and fga and dont buy into that old tripe about non condensing boilers not needing to be fga tested its only guess work otherwise an overaired boiler may not be producing smoke but it could well be producing high levels of carbon monoxide

it needs and has to be done with an fga end of story get him back or get somebody to do it correctly if the manf are recommending an es nozzle then thats what should also be fitted and set up from there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Kencollins

Thanks for the reply!

The boiler is 11 years old (potterton statesman 50/70) and I think the original nozzle was the s version, which was then superseded by the es version.

Right, I need to find a decent tech in west limerick who will be willing to do a fga and adjust the air as necessary then. It seems like the other guy was just in a rush to get out the door.

Any recommendations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

Just done a service this morning and when i presented the bill (€102) the guy almost gagged, told me "that was ridiculous" he had just had the one at home (holiday home)in the North "serviced" for £30 including the parts. When i explained he needed a Nozzle, Ram seal, Hose and Photocell he accused me of "just looking for things to change to bump it up" as it had all been working before i came. :cool:

Did u change all those parts and only charge him 102?

Kencollins wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply!

The boiler is 11 years old (potterton statesman 50/70) and I think the original nozzle was the s version, which was then superseded by the es version.

Right, I need to find a decent tech in west limerick who will be willing to do a fga and adjust the air as necessary then. It seems like the other guy was just in a rush to get out the door.

Any recommendations?

the spec i have to hand for your boiler shows them using .6x60es nozzle and thats factory set at mid range and is not set at 9bar pressure

what part of west limerick are you in

Dtp79 wrote: »

would not think you screwed him there billy but it looks like the 30/40 eu brigade operate up north as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Kencollins

Hi Jimf,

Im in Newcastle West Co. Limerick.

It sounds like the other guy didnt have a bloody clue what to do. Told me the s was absolutly perfect at 9 bar!

I look forward to having someone who knows what the hell he is doing look at the boiler at this stage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

Yep! he started off giving me the ol sob story about loosing his job, i took it like a mug and ended up leaving with €80 because that was al he had :rolleyes: live nd learn! you do get em. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

Yep! he started off giving me the ol sob story about loosing his job, i took it like a mug and ended up leaving with €80 because that was al he had :rolleyes: live nd learn! you do get em. :mad:

Billy you're getting soft in your oulde age.let them away with nothing afterall they wouldn't let you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭crock!

Thats the job you will get a recommendations from.but I hope they have more money.i meat a job where they only could pay for the pump but couldn't pay me.i passed that one

Robbie.G wrote: »
    Billy you're getting soft in your oulde age.let them away with nothing afterall they wouldn't let you

I have a little rule, never argue over pound notes, smile and ask them nicely to put it in the post, then cross your fingers and keep smiling with the knowledge that there will be a next time. ;)

• Advertisement

I have a little rule, never argue over pound notes, smile and ask them nicely to put it in the post, then cross your fingers and keep smiling with the knowledge that there will be a next time. ;)

good thinking there billy at least that way you have some chance of gettin the old bobs get thick and you never get a call back

hi guys just looking for a bit of feedback do any of you source your spares from hwos in the uk and how do you find them to deal with i know prices are good but what about deliveries complete orders turnaround time etc

tell me mind my own business if ye like im not easily offended

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Been using them for years & find them excellent. Usually if ordered on a Monday, delivery arrives on Wednesday. Good to deal with & very good prices. Family run business. Met the brothers a few times at shows in the UK. They are hoping to set up an agency here in Ireland soon.

jimf wrote: »
    hi guys just looking for a bit of feedback do any of you source your spares from hwos in the uk and how do you find them to deal with i know prices are good but what about deliveries complete orders turnaround time etc

tell me mind my own business if ye like im not easily offended

I ordered off them a while back. Had the stuff at my door no later than 3 days after

I ordered off them a while back. Had the stuff at my door no later than 3 days after

thanks dtp nothing wrong with that

thanks dtp nothing wrong with that

Just make sure your postal address is the same as your company address to get the vat off. They'll explain it better! I got a load of oil hoses and nozzles off them in very handy carrying boxes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 225 ✭✭QBE

anyone any ideas on best place (cheapest) to buy Flue Gas analyser? and where is the best (cheapest) to buy burner parts at present?

sorry in Dublin or from the web? I have not bought burner parts in years and don't want to use the likes of heat merchants for the larger parts (fuel pumps , motors ect)

QBE wrote: »
    anyone any ideas on best place (cheapest) to buy Flue Gas analyser? and where is the best (cheapest) to buy burner parts at present?

will pm you some details

will pm you some details

that's great and if you know of any place in cork also. A lad mentioned somewhere in churchfield. Didn't know name. I don't know cork at all. But may be doing a bit of boiler / burner servicing down there in the near future. (part of a contract with a company in Dublin)

sorry lads for extending your thread. I am quite upto date with the gas. So fine on that.

Could someone give me some information on the oil passport system in place and what it involves? and if required about oftec? thanks

• Advertisement

Could someone give me some information on the oil passport system in place and what it involves?
    Try this
    http://www.grantengineering.ie/wp-content/themes/2009/downloads/OFTECBoilerPassport.pdf

and if required about oftec? thanks[/quote]
    You don't have to registered with Oftec to install new oil boilers but part of the passport ask for it to be commissioned by a Oftec reg.You can always get someone that's Oftec reg to commission boiler for you if you want to save on the expense of the trainning and the time it takes.Its just an option
    http://www.oftec.org/

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Robbie, that link is the old version of the passport.
    Has now been changed as page 1 filled in and signed by the installer and page 2 by who commissions it.

DGOBS wrote: »
    Robbie, that link is the old version of the passport.
    Has now been changed as page 1 filled in and signed by the installer and page 2 by who commissions it.

Jesus that's the one currently shown on grants site.they changed about a year ago to slow for someone commissioning the boiler not been the fitter

hi guys anybody know whats the story with gem boilers at the moment are they still manf or are they winding down again rang the tipperary no 2 day and every ans was i dont know looking for a plume kit for a 90/120 he cabinpak even asked the question did they ever stock ans i dont know thank god dont see many of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Hi Guy's, I'm new to this,(Boards.ie I mean) as I've been servicing oil boilers for over 20 years in Cork city and often feel and espically in the last two years that I'm banging my head against a brick wall trying to explain to costomers what a proper service consists of and why we have to charge a lot more than Jonny operating from the pub!!
    Got a free local paper "Cork News" to do an artical on "shoddy boiler servicing" last year if you want to look it up. I also, at my own expense got 2000 leflets to give out explaining what a service is that I shall be giving out at the Cork Summer Show this June 15th/16th that explains the legal aspect of boiler servicing in Ireland, ie ANYBODY can do Boilers wants it's not gas, and there not breaking the law!!!
    If your around for the Cork show, I'll see ya.
    Michael Duffy www.southern-services.net
    Email southernservices@eircom.net

"Corks Leading Oil Boiler Services". With over 20 Years experience in the industry maybe right but "Irelands leader" is a tad misleading. Welcome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Sorry Bily B,
    Orignally my web site said I had over 40 years expierience!!
    I'm 47 next week. (Work that one out) Blame the web designer, he got a bit carried away and I havent a clue how to change anything, I'm good on boilers and slightly lacking on the IT end. This was my first time putting out a post, I didn't know even if your allowed to give out personal details. all the best MD

welcome to boards another brain to pick and as for the head banging join the club you must be good if you wer servicing boilers at 7 no fga back then

welcome to boards another brain to pick and as for the head banging join the club you must be good if you wer servicing boilers at 7 no fga back then

'twas all about lookin at the tip of the flame back then !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

What's up with the link saying to service engineers, this is the most important site you will ever click!

Advertisement