Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oil Boiler Servicing

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

shane0007 wrote: »
    I was actually speaking to somebody about that today. It seems the new competent ones are competent as long as they have a FGA. It's the new stripe to wear.
    I wonder how many people actually know how to use them & what the varying results mean.
    Dito on that.

But at least its a move in the right direction that more people are useing FGA.

AND HOPEFULLY there won't be as many deaths in the future.

As I said.
    A step in the right direction. It all helps.
    No matter what.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

FGA, Print out and service report is what the customer should be insisting on. These Clowns might know how to turn them on but you can be sure they wouldn't want to be leaving evidence of how they left it.

Ask them before they start, do you use a FGA and leave me a print out and service report, if they give you bull5hit tell them to jog on, insist on it.

But this is the problem. The customer understands as much about the print out readings as they do, i.e. nothing. So the customer is looking at it thinking if he says it is correct then it must be.
    The other slight misconception is MI's. Some give fairly high CO2 readings to set to. This is for SEDBUK efficiency reasons to increase the efficiency marginally in laboratory conditions.

If i was shopping around for a service and said i needed a full service report and print out of the FGA any clown would be "fully booked for a while", they wouldn't want to go near it, the custard doesn't need to understand it, just insist on it.
    I always explain to the customer that i am setting it up to it's max eff for the individual boiler/burner and individual conditions, those may not be as the book but are correct and my reputation, service report and signiture will stand by it.

If i was shopping around for a service and said i needed a full service report and print out of the FGA any clown would be "fully booked for a while"

Whoops, me thinks I need to change my phrase. :D

But this is the problem. The customer understands as much about the print out readings as they do, i.e. nothing. So the customer is looking at it thinking if he says it is correct then it must be.
    The other slight misconception is MI's. Some give fairly high CO2 readings to set to. This is for SEDBUK efficiency reasons to increase the efficiency marginally in laboratory conditions.

If their willing to invest in a FGA I would be hopeful that a decent few of them are at least trying to improve themselves.
    Slightly higher Co2 will also slightly raise the carbon monoxide level say as an example 35ppm to 60.
    At least its not like the 1800ppm I came across in Douglas last year (utility room) front board on a SQ all broken. That idiot will never try to improve himself.
    He never used a FGA if he had and at least tuned the boiler then the fumes would have been low and a lot safer. Still dangerous though.

Anybody trying to better themselves and there level of service no matter what they charge, it still get's a tums up from me.
    I might still hate them though, unless the operate somewhere else, Kilkenny would be ok in my book !

Yes, but too little CO2 can also result in extremely high CO. Typically the WF's are notorious for it. A slight bit of too much air & the CO rockets into the hundreds of ppm.

My point being, if the numpties are going to mascarade themselves as boiler engineers, technicians or whathaveyou, by arming themselves with FGA as its the done thing, then they must get training on how to use them correctly. The issue I find is they don't even know they are using them incorrectly. The same "service person" I described earlier serviced this clients boiler a year ago also! So he has being going round mascarading himself as a professional by waving print outs of FGA's under customer's noses for God knows how long.
    The country has gone mad in recent years with efficiency, heating, insulation, etc. For the better IMO, but the downside is it has opened the flood gates, due to the recessions also, to anybody who wants to get involved with the industry as it is probably one of the few trades that is consistently busy since the downturn. I don't mind healthy competition, but I cannot abide fools.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Went in yesterday to a boiler, serviced in Feb. Popular 90 boiler house LLD Riello G3

Nozzle .75 80 S
    Oil pressure 11.5 bar
    Flue, disconnected, laying about 1/2 inch above boiler spigot
    No fire valve of any description
    Dual stat hanging by a thread, set to 45deg to stop boiler overheating
    No flue terminal and flue end totally overgrown and cant be seen without a hedge clippers
    All boiler gaskets leaking, both combustion chamber and baffle chamber

When customer ask was everything ok on last service, the guy said, sure it's grand!
    Asked him to bleed a few rads, was told sorry I don't do the stuff inside (thank Christ!)

And they say the oil industry doesn't need to be regulated!

Don't even get me started about the oil tank!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭jimf

DGOBS wrote: »
    Went in yesterday to a boiler, serviced in Feb. Popular 90 boiler house LLD Riello G3

Nozzle .75 80 S
    Oil pressure 11.5 bar
    No flue terminal and flue end totally overgrown and cant be seen without a hedge clippers

When customer ask was everything ok on last service, the guy said, sure it's grand!
    Asked him to bleed a few rads, was told sorry I don't do the stuff inside (thank Christ!)

I suppose they got an fga printout as well that would be interesting to read

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Nozzle .75 80 S
    Oil pressure 11.5 bar

Surely you didn't even try to tackle this!

Get real DGOBS!! Why the hell would he need a flue terminal :D

I actually know this guy, works around my manor to. ;)

Get real DGOBS!! Why the hell would he need a flue terminal :D

I actually know this guy, works around my manor to. ;)

must be borrowing shanes chopper he also operates in my neck of the woods

jimf wrote: »
    must be borrowing shanes chopper he also operates in my neck of the woods

Well I am tomorrow & Friday.

Well I am tomorrow & Friday.

More work for you next week Jim. :D

More work for you next week Jim. :D

serious opposition down here so I also believe qbe/wiliiewinkie is in the area with the son in tow im fcuked so

Well somebody has to go & clean up the mess down there......

I'll look out for an 8 year old driving a mini digger past the window!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭esox28

Be carefull when pricing against qbe he only fits se "he are a waste of money" quote

maybe the son has a few reconditioned clyde ci boilers floating about dug up somewhere with the mini digger

• Advertisement

Did I miss something what's the story with the mini digger?

at feck it esox you only know half the story

so let's here it....

esox28 wrote: »
    so let's here it....

sorry esox tried to find his post but couldn't

during qbe very brief spell on boards he was blowing his hole about how his son could strip and repair any make of boiler/burner and repair circulating pumps as well as drive a mini digger the lad is a boy genius at 8years of age I think

I think billy offered him an apprenticeship

He failed the aptitude test, couldn't spell his name.

Actually yea think I remember something bout that, where I crossed swords was he tried to tell an op that he boilers are a waste of money and totally disregarding the fact its mandatory to install said he.

• Advertisement

He failed the aptitude test, couldn't spell his name.

jaysus your a bit exact sur hes fully trained already I would have thought insurance on the van would be the only draw back :D

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭ripcord

Hi.

I need to get my boiler serviced soon. From reading parts of this thread there is obviously a lot of work involved! Should I go through bord gais/electric ireland for €100 or should I ring around locally for someone with RGI?

Would it be rude to tell the engineer that I expect over an hours work and tell him all the things to check that were mentioned at the start of this thread?

Also I'm in Athlone if someone wants to give me recommendations! :)

Thanks!

ripcord wrote: »
    Hi.

I need to get my boiler serviced soon. From reading parts of this thread there is obviously a lot of work involved! Should I go through bord gais/electric ireland for €100 or should I ring around locally for someone with RGI?

Would it be rude to tell the engineer that I expect over an hours work and tell him all the things to check that were mentioned at the start of this thread?

Thanks!
    Border Gas+Electric Ireland use cheaper sub contractors and its the luck of the draw who you get !

Hopefuly somebody will see your post here or ask localy for who is good. Stay and have a chat with them and watch what there doing. I like when my clients do.but only if there the friendly type. But I'm not in your area.

Gas or oil ?

Try posting this as a new thread and somebody will see it quicker.

OP looking for service in Athlone.

ripcord wrote: »
    Hi.

Thanks!

Giving money to large companies(pimps;)) means the RGI doing the work gets a smaller cut and is under pressure to make his wage by volume.

Cutting out the middle man and going straight to the RGI means your more Likely to have someone that has the time to do the job properly and have a greater interest in customer service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭crock!

Nobody would like to be told how to do it.suggest when your talking to your rgi you could ask how long it will take and whats done in a service.listen to some of the key words.
    Letby
    Soundness
    Top up
    Pressures
    Expansion vessel
    Print out
    Fga
    If he says 25 min then move on.

• Advertisement

Was called to a sooty one today,:eek: boiler fitted by custard although "he had help from a plumber", conventional flued boiler, internal, no outside wall, flue straight up through the roof, air intake snorkel disappeared up into loft, on inspection the snorkel had been attached to a number of 3":eek: tumble dryer vent kits running over 30ft,:eek: the length of the loft and venting through the gable wall, vent cover was the type with shutters that open when a draft is blown against them.:eek: how it worked in the past 4 mths escapes me.:rolleyes:

Was called to a sooty one today,:eek: boiler fitted by custard although "he had help from a plumber", conventional flued boiler, internal, no outside wall, flue straight up through the roof, air intake snorkel disappeared up into loft, on inspection the snorkel had been attached to a number of 3":eek: tumble dryer vent kits running over 30ft,:eek: the length of the loft and venting through the gable wall, vent cover was the type with shutters that open when a draft is blown against them.:eek: how it worked in the past 4 mths escapes me.:rolleyes:

u did it under warranty I presume ???:P

just back from the rarest yoke I have ever seen unidare boiler dated 1974 fitted with a selectos burner down firing thank god it was only blocked filter and nozzle that would make the boiler almost 40 yrs old

whats the oldest boiler ye worked on

just back from the rarest yoke I have ever seen unidare boiler dated 1974 fitted with a selectos burner down firing thank god it was only blocked filter and nozzle that would make the boiler almost 40 yrs old

whats the oldest boiler ye worked on

Have a few on my books, the blue sight glass, usually in pieces!

Not that old but a rare one on my Manor, that i was at this week, but i love the simplicity of them is the Phoenix burner, basically a reworked Minor1, used on converting solid fuel ranges to oil, can still pick them up.

http://www.adverts.ie/heating/gaelwood-phoenix-oil-burner/1127476

Have a few on my books, the blue sight glass, usually in pieces!

Not that old but a rare one on my Manor, that i was at this week, but i love the simplicity of them is the Phoenix burner, basically a reworked Minor1, used on converting solid fuel ranges to oil, can still pick them up.

http://www.adverts.ie/heating/gaelwood-phoenix-oil-burner/1127476

a rare old thing all right billy no prepurge no coil instant spark once theres oil getting through shes instant fire

not one to be trying to check on the ground not that I have that bad habit;);)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Have a few really old Chappees on my books, about. 40 years old, some still with the grates if you want to burn coal!

Also, have a 60 year old German boiler, can't remember the name , it's huge, more like a furnace.

Have a few of those Unidares too!

its a fair basic burner that on this dgobs any idea how the oil flow to the nozzle is shut off this yoke has no sol valve/coil

I presume its some feature in the pump but then again you know what they about presumption

its more or less instant ignition

And today we have yet another rare species, The Fossilized Oil Filter.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

And today we have yet another rare species, The Fossilized Oil Filter.......

Judging by the condition of it I would put a guess at 80 to 65 million years old in the late cretaceous period.:D

ok lads often wondered whats yere most popular nozzle in the box

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,318 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

ok lads often wondered whats yere most popular nozzle in the box

OK Jim, seeing as things are quiet. Mine is a .60-60s

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Wearb wrote: »

good man wearb got the ball rolling

this is such a simple question we cant have row over it or can we :rolleyes::rolleyes:

unless billy wakes up and takes it off topic :eek: :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Wearb wrote: »
    .60 80h

.6 and .75 80s
    I perfer 80s

No major reason.

scudo2 wrote: »
    .6 and .75 80s
    I perfer 80s

No major reason.

Do many off ye change the flexible oil line.nearly every new customer i have to change flexible oil line. I once was at a house and when i took burner out the flexible oil line turned into a shower head with lots of holes.it looked perfect until i i moved it.

crock! wrote: »
    Do many off ye change the flexible oil line.nearly every new customer i have to change flexible oil line. I once was at a house and when i took burner out the flexible oil line turned into a shower head with lots of holes.it looked perfect until i i moved it.

yes crock something like yourself

the condition of some oil lines are just deplorable

Danfoss only, .65/85S. I buy flexible hoses in bulk from HWOS and take no chances with them as although i have never had an issue at the price i can't be sure of quality so its changed annually.

I note Jim hasn't enlightened us but i bet mines bigger than his.

Danfoss only, .65/85S. I buy flexible hoses in bulk from HWOS and take no chances with them as although i have never had an issue at the price i can't be sure of quality so its changed annually.

Is yours not standard

Sorry, my what ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,848 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Annually?? Isn't there at least a 3 - 5 year life on hoses and the date stamped on them?

Advertisement