Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oil Boiler Servicing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Edser

Any recommendations for an oil boiler servicer near Celbridge, Kildare?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

Edser wrote: »
    Any recommendations for an oil boiler servicer near Celbridge, Kildare?

Im not sure maybe dgobs covers that area why not send him a pm if he doesn't he will surely know somebody who does

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

I don't cover it either. But recommend Peter Colgan +353 (86) 384 8992
    You won't go wrong with him

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Edser

jimf wrote: »
    Im not sure maybe dgobs covers that area why not send him a pm if he doesn't he will surely know somebody who does
    DGOBS wrote: »
    I don't cover it either. But recommend Peter Colgan +353 (86) 384 8992
    You won't go wrong with him

Thanks guys!

Ed

I think if hes recommended by dgobs you can rest assured he will know what hes at

Wow really, I have know Peter some time, and recommended him many times, have even had customers come back afterwards thanking me for putting them in touch.

I have inspected his work many times and always found everything totally spot on (installation wise) as for what he charges, I have no idea. But certainly could have never called him lazy.

I am sorry to hear of your experience with him, but for me seems totally out of character and doesn't add up.

May I ask why you registered here to come onto a servicing thread about an installer who done work for you 5 months ago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Me, I think there's always 2 sides to every story

No bother.

As I said, I cannot speak to someone's pricing as I don't know the details of the job involved. I can only say this hasn't been my experience of the chap over the past number of years I have known him.

I would have readily recommended him in that area when anyone asked, and have never had a bad comment in return. He would not be a top off merchant and has always left good work behind him (of any I have seen)

Did you ever speak with him in this regard, as I am sure he wouldn't be happy to leave behind a customer like that (I know I wouldn't)

I'd love to hear this mans opinion on the matter also. I thinks it's wrong to tarnish a very reputable plumber based on a very one sided story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

What's going on?

JohnnieK wrote: »
    What's going on?

Somebody came on and bad mouthed a plumber. Then disappeared

I rang and spoke to the plumber about this issue, as felt he should have the opportunity to give his side, he was very surpassed by the whole thing to be honest, and couldn't understand it as all works were agreed and priced, the delay seems to be over the customer supplying the boiler (so he took on another job in the meantime) and all parted happily after the job was completed without complaint.

Regarding the 'over pricing' he seemingly was supplied the appliance, and had to supply all pipework, new oil line, soak away, circulating pump, time clock etc, etc. Moving plumbing from inside to outside appliance, chase foot paths, cement and pebble dash old flue outlet, disposed of old appliance, etc, etc.

Not exactly a straight boiler swap, with all parts supplied and a labor only charge.

I have asked him to come on and work this out, and hopefully he will, in fairness to him, I have always found him to be one of the good guys, and wouldn't recommend him if I though otherwise.

I would also love to know why the poster removed the 3 posts.

DGOBS wrote: »
    I rang and spoke to the plumber about this issue, as felt he should have the opportunity to give his side, he was very surpassed by the whole thing to be honest, and couldn't understand it as all works were agreed and priced, the delay seems to be over the customer supplying the boiler (so he took on another job in the meantime) and all parted happily after the job was completed without complaint.

Regarding the 'over pricing' he seemingly was supplied the appliance, and had to supply all pipework, new oil line, soak away, circulating pump, time clock etc, etc. Moving plumbing from inside to outside appliance, chase foot paths, cement and pebble dash old flue outlet, disposed of old appliance, etc, etc.

Not exactly a straight boiler swap, with all parts supplied and a labor only charge.

I have asked him to come on and work this out, and hopefully he will, in fairness to him, I have always found him to be one of the good guys, and wouldn't recommend him if I though otherwise.

As I said, always 2 sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭esox28

probably taught this was a good place to vent...slate a recommended installer and see if any other posters had similar views in a plumbing and heating public forum. sound.

no mention that the guy had done a good job,left the place as he found it or better, supplied the boiler fittings and consumables and not to mention patching the 9" hole in the wall and even a finishing touch of pebble dash, oh no just 'he charged me €1500' well id charge the same + €1300 for your vortex.

come on €300/day plumbers :)

probably not willing to do the extra 20 little jobs that just happened to pop up while he was there foc

• Advertisement

esox28 wrote: »
    probably taught this was a good place to vent...slate a recommended installer and see if any other posters had similar views in a plumbing and heating public forum. sound.

no mention that the guy had done a good job,left the place as he found it or better, supplied the boiler fittings and consumables and not to mention patching the 9" hole in the wall and even a finishing touch of pebble dash, oh no just 'he charged me €1500' well id charge the same + €1300 for your vortex.

come on €300/day plumbers :)

Can't ye just imagine her chatting to her friends. " 1500 euro to take out a boiler and stick in another . My brother knows a lad that only charged my friend 80 a day "
    I agree with everything esox said. She also forgot to mention that the plumber has to pay 13.5% to the government too.
    I hope she's reading this and comes back on here to apologise to this plumber

posters cant just log on and run a company, business, plumber, who ever into the ground and they not even a member five mins, is there not some boards law to protect from this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

esox28 wrote: »
    posters cant just log on and run a company, business, plumber, who ever into the ground and they not even a member five mins, is there not some boards law to protect from this?

In fairness the mods are usually very quick to remove messages by accounts that are only set up to promote or slate businesses, but the mods can't be everywhere so reporting posts like that will bring it to their attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Can't ye just imagine her chatting to her friends. " 1500 euro to take out a boiler and stick in another . My brother knows a lad that only charged my friend 80 a day "
    I agree with everything esox said. She also forgot to mention that the plumber has to pay 13.5% to the government too.
    Actually it's 35% or more to the government on service calls.

13.5% VAT + 22% or higher persional income TAX = 35%+

Back to my other 2/3 1/3 rule = 1/3 to me, 1/3 to tax man, 1/3 for overheads & rainy day fund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭richieburke01

Dtp1979 wrote: »

Maybe she offered something and was refused:)

• Advertisement

Vojera wrote: »
    In fairness the mods are usually very quick to remove messages by accounts that are only set up to promote or slate businesses, but the mods can't be everywhere so reporting posts like that will bring it to their attention.

it fairness the post this evening was a bit nasty but dgobs was on it fairly fast so I would hope there wasn't too much damage done to that poor guys reputation in his locality

Maybe she offered something and was refused:)

go on go on tell us more :p:p

Right drama queens, I hope further posts are oil boiler servicing related and please don't worry, your reputations are in safe hands ;) just report the post(as mentioned)

gary71 wrote: »
    Right drama queens, I hope further posts are oil boiler servicing related and please don't worry your reputations they are in safe hands ;) just report the post(as mentioned)

All we really want to do is 'get the popcorn out'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭crock!

I went to a boiler on fri.i never meet one of these b4.warmflow he 120.i took out my tablet to look at the manual to check for what nozzle and to check the baffles were put in corectly.but the client seen me do this.i could see the look on his face and he taught wtf.i think if i took an old nozzle out of my pocket and spat on it and rubbed it off my jeans then he wouldnt give a second taught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

crock! wrote: »
    I went to a boiler on fri.i never meet one of these b4.warmflow he 120.i took out my tablet to look at the manual to check for what nozzle and to check the baffles were put in corectly.but the client seen me do this.i could see the look on his face and he taught wtf.i think if i took an old nozzle out of my pocket and spat on it and rubbed it off my jeans then he wouldnt give a second taught.

Taking the tablets out and reading a book is not a good sign.!!!
    Did you happen to also ask him for a drink ?

Next time someone looks funny at you doing this, run a wire from the tablet into the burner and and say your doing a diagnostic check :);)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭Furzy

Ok ... I've read a lot here about the so called service men and what to avoid but can someone direct me to a webpage where I can find a list of proper professionals to service my oil-fired boiler? It's a Firebird C35.

Furzy wrote: »
    Ok ... I've read a lot here about the so called service men and what to avoid but can someone direct me to a webpage where I can find a list of proper professionals to service my oil-fired boiler? It's a Firebird C35.

It depends on where you are based.

Thanks - I'm in Bray. Just got a pm referring me to OFTEC webpage and will try contacting some of the companies there tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Furzy wrote: »
    Thanks - I'm in Bray. Just got a pm referring me to OFTEC webpage and will try contacting some of the companies there tomorrow.

Good luck with that:pac::pac: Last year when my Fathers boiler was due I rang four of those guys listed who were very busy (in May) and all promised to ring me back...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

jca wrote: »
    Last year when my Fathers boiler was due.

And how do you think we feel when we get people like you who think we can drop all to do an annual service without notice, and we have to listen to them just bitch about lack of customer service when we don't drop to our knees at your door. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭CJ Haughey

And how do you think we feel when we get people like you who think we can drop all to do an annual service without notice, and we have to listen to them just bitch about lack of customer service when we don't drop to our knees at your door. :rolleyes:

There are plenty hours in the day, you wont miss much doing that service instead of watching corrie and east enders.

How much notice is required? It's February now and still no phone call from any of them.... It's a great little country (for some).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

How much notice is required? It's February now and still no phone call from any of them.... It's a great little country (for some).

What about all the other year's your father's boiler was serviced. Did you not call the previous technician to do it.

JohnnieK wrote: »
    What about all the other year's your father's boiler was serviced. Did you not call the previous technician to do it.

Swallowed up by the celtic tiger unfortunately.... A nice guy but he got delusions of grandeur. The guys I rang were recommended by him but none of them seemed that interested. The boiler did need extra work and the guy who did it wasn't very impressed by the standard of the previous work tbh. It cost €240 to be done but we didn't mind as it's an indoor setup and very important to get done properly. Don't want the aul lad fading away in an invisible cloud of carbon monoxide...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

By any chance is it an installation that doesn't meet regulations or cannot be fully accessed to do a proper service? Those sort of jobs scare me off. I am always afraid to work on such jobs, lest I get blamed for something serious down the line.
    I always ask that things be put right before I work on it. One simple instance in one case, was the lack of a permanent vent in the utility room containing boiler. It wasn't a room sealed model. Sadly after mentioning the need for this, I wasn't called back to do the job. I sleep better, but could have done with having the customer.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Wearb wrote: »
    By any chance is it an installation that doesn't meet regulations or cannot be fully accessed to do a proper service? Those sort of jobs scare me off. I am always afraid to work on such jobs, lest I get blamed for something serious down the line.
    I always ask that things be put right before I work on it. One simple instance in one case, was the lack of a permanent vent in the utility room containing boiler. It wasn't a room sealed model. Sadly after mentioning the need for this, I wasn't called back to do the job. I sleep better, but could have done with having the customer.

They never called back never mind even viewing the boiler. No problem with ventilation as the room it's in was originally designed for an indoor gas to air setup that never made it to the real world. There's plenty of access as the grant that's there now is positively tiny compared to the previous incumbent.

Good luck with that:pac::pac: Last year when my Fathers boiler was due I rang four of those guys listed who were very busy (in May) and all promised to ring me back...........

Interesting - I had the same experience with the original Firebird recommended service engineer. Complained every time I phoned to book a service and year 3 said he was too busy to give me a date for service but would phone back when he was available - never heard from him again. Then gave up waiting and went with a Groupon deal - very prompt, efficient and professional service so I used them again the following year. Reading here got me worried so I tried tradesmen.ie but no reply. Not many names on the OFTEC a site but will give it a go!!

• Advertisement

It's hard to beat a good recommendation. Even asking for a recommendation here on boards, might be a good idea, if any of us are close by.

But there has to be room to service. I bet some of the ones that I refused to do have been complaining about me, without explaining my reason for refusal.

I know one of them was "serviced" without access to the baffles and flue way. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11 murfitt

It's hard to beat a good recommendation. Even asking for a recommendation here on boards, might be a good idea, if any of us are close by.

But there has to be room to service. I bet some of the ones that I refused to do have been complaining about me, without explaining my reason for refusal.

I know one of them was "serviced" without access to the baffles and flue way. :(

Most jobs I go to have been "serviced" by the same lad for the last x amount of years.
    I think they forgot their tools every time...
    Unbelievable.

murfitt wrote: »
    Most jobs I go to have been "serviced" by the same lad for the last x amount of years.
    I think they forgot their tools every time...
    Unbelievable.

This is where I have a problem with service guys. No matter who you get they spend the first 15-20 mins grumbling and slagging off the previous guys work, repeat repeat repeat....

• Registered Users Posts: 11 murfitt

This is where I have a problem with service guys. No matter who you get they spend the first 15-20 mins grumbling and slagging off the previous guys work, repeat repeat repeat....

I don't give out about previous engineers. I just get on with fixing it up properly.
    Good Service is everything, I can sleep better at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

This is where I have a problem with service guys. No matter who you get they spend the first 15-20 mins grumbling and slagging off the previous guys work, repeat repeat repeat....[/Q
    What service guys are you talking about.., and in what area,maybe you have had bad experiences but i never had a problem with service guys

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭JR6

Can anyone pm a recommendation for someone to service a Firebird oil boiler in Galway? Just moved in to a new house last year so it would be its first service I would imagine. Also what's the average cost of proper service theses days? Thanks.

• Advertisement

JR6 wrote: »
    Can anyone pm a recommendation for someone to service a Firebird oil boiler in Galway? Just moved in to a new house last year so it would be its first service I would imagine. Also what's the average cost of proper service theses days? Thanks.

A good service will cost anywhere from 80 -120. Avoid discount deals cause you'll be getting screwed basically. Look up the Oftec site for a few guys in your area

+1 re Dtp. Plus, before you book him, ask if he gives a printout (not just hand-written) of the combustion readings. While Oftec is a good way to find service guys, there are lots of good guys out there who are not registered with them.

A recommendation from a friend and printout are your best bet in getting a good job.

If you want to, you could post a copy of the printout here (identifying info redacted of course) and we can tell you if that part of it is correct.

Just thinking with all the different nozzles we buy between s. H. Es.eh. out side mi would ye think replacing s & H for es & eh for anything under 1 gal per hour

Just thinking with all the different nozzles we buy between s. H. Es.eh. out side mi would ye think replacing s & H for es & eh for anything under 1 gal per hour

It's not a simple replacement as they use different pressure reference points. I stick to MI unless I get stuck for a nozzle.

It's not a simple replacement as they use different pressure reference points. I stick to MI unless I get stuck for a nozzle.
    I've done the same as what mi say but it would be easier when buying nozzles in bulk.

• Advertisement
Advertisement