Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scumbag situation getting worse and worse

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

What do you purpose OP. Will you be the hero that Dublin deserves and needs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

Is just a stagnation.

you could swap that first t out for k.. maybe a little space, between the g and the n and bobs your shifty uncle.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

joetoad wrote: »
    And don't they get the dole? Surely they could save 120 a week and get themselves a place to live after a month or two.
    I never once mentioned homeless in my OP. I know a lot of them have mental illnesses and what not so I retract that statement

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,575 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Did Ireland always have scumbags or is the situation getting worse year by year. Hate walking around dublin and you see heroin addicts, scumbags with their tracksuits and there hats at 90 degree angle. It seems to be getting worse year by year. You just know by looking at the person that there going to be on the dole for life, shot or put in prison. Yesterday I walked past a junkie taking a dump on a footpath. The amount of human ****e around dublin is disgusting

Of course you did. :rolleyes:

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Chucken wrote: »

Ah now, come on, he never actually used the word "homeless!"

Can't a man go on an ill-informed rant anymore without having his glaring inconsistencies picked apart by pedantic do-gooders?

It's PC gone mad I tell you...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 295 ✭✭joetoad

Chucken wrote: »

Yes in my OP I never mentioned the homeless where a lot of them are nice people. What I said was they could save for themselves and get a place but most of them have mental illnesses which is sad

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Lucas Castroman

All the animals come out at night - whores, skunk pussies, buggers, queens, fairies, dopers, junkies, sick, venal. Someday a real rain will come and wash all this scum off the streets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

All the animals come out at night - whores, skunk pussies, buggers, queens, fairies, dopers, junkies, sick, venal. Someday a real rain will come and wash all this scum off the streets.

RainMan.

I'm only talking about scumbags and scumbag junkies who I despise. How can we rehabilitate them not to act like scumbags? Brainwash them? No we can't because they have the mind of a scumbag and they will never change

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

catallus wrote: »
    Maybe he's just concerned about what he perceives to be the rise of a reprehensible sub-culture of welfare cases who congregate on the public highways in a manner which a reasonable person would find intimidating which is all too visible to the hard-working people of this country, and he is simply looking for the opinions of others on the subject.

If you would like to engage in a discourse regarding the possible negative effects which a sub-culture (or the individuals of which it is comprised) can have on the dominant culture as a whole then it is important to take into account all of the relevant information such as the socio-political situation of the culture of the time whilst also realising that a sub-culture is in many ways a reflection of the culture within which it came to be. By definition, a sub-culture cannot exist independently of the culture from which it grew, which would suggest that the dominant culture has a responsibility towards the sub-culture and therefore has certain moral and ethical obligations towards it such as those in the relationship between Dr. Frnakenstein his monster.

See, using big words to sound clever isn't that hard, I usually just take it to mean somebody is trying to muddy the waters to make themselves sound clever about something that they know nothing about or to talk fancy sounding nonsense. Just cos someone is talking fancy sounding shyte, doesn't mean they're not talking shyte :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

A what now?

Is that yer one Pepé le Pew was always chasing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

it certainly seems that way. Earlier in the week, a Garda station in Clare was attacked during the night. Now, it was just windows smashed in but still. They also set fire to the private car of a female Garda. fairley serious and what most people would consider scumbag behavior.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Joetoad, why do you despise junkies?

I know a lot of people have this knee-jerk reaction towards them and in most cases it is entirely justified given their behaviour; but they are totally dependent on the substances they abuse and the suppliers of those substances.

I'm not saying we should have infinite compassion for junkies or scumbags, but to hate someone because they're addicted to a bad substance is just being mean and self-involved.

It would be more reasonable to hate scumbags who are just scumbags by virtue of their character rather than a physical and psychological dependence.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Of course you did. :rolleyes:

Ur username is appropiate and yes I did, walk along dominick street and areas around there and you'll see what I mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

I don't think this is a straight yes no answer. I'd be from one of these supposed gang riddled areas and its not better or worse but different than previous times gone by.

I'd argue that the heroin problem doesn't seem to be as bad as what it was 15 years ago (dolphin house for example)but on the other hand the cocaine problem is rampant amongst the kids and younger adults. Young men these days are a lot more violent and will use weapons to prove it. Crack has found it's way in too and that sends the new wave of drug addicts completely off the wall.

Generally the areas where I'm from and surrounding areas seem to be a lot more quiet then what they were but when something does kickoff it's 10 times worse than what it used to be.

OP I wouldn't go judging people by clothes, some of the biggest scumbags around here wouldn't be caught dead in a track suit, while a friend of mine who's the biggest geek I know wears nothing but track suits, baseball caps and walks around like he's Lil Wayne or one of them gimps. He's been hired and moving over to Japan very soon to work with some company to build focking robots or something!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Laneyh

Did Ireland always have scumbags or is the situation getting worse year by year. Hate walking around dublin and you see heroin addicts, scumbags with their tracksuits and there hats at 90 degree angle. It seems to be getting worse year by year. You just know by looking at the person that there going to be on the dole for life, shot or put in prison. Yesterday I walked past a junkie taking a dump on a footpath. The amount of human ****e around dublin is disgusting

It does seem to be more obvious now than before, I think in part its been centralised. Some of the scummers didn't used to come into town but with the advent of the Luas they can travel around more easily. They also seem to like to hang out at or close to red line luas stops.

I've thankfully never seen someone taking a dump like that but I've no doubt it happens a lot. I have the utmost sympathy for anyone working in any city centre shops, particularly the spars & centras.

A couple of weekends ago I saw a guy smoking heroin in a phone box just off O'Connell Bridge, turned up one of the side streets off Aston Quay and there was a guy taking a piss he was neither discreet nor bothered that I saw him. Slightly further up there were two junkies sitting down sprawled out on what is supposed to be The Icon Walk. These 3 things were in a very small radius, at 1pm on a Saturday and they're just the tip of the iceberg. There is a general vibe of lawlessness and menace around the place. The junkies and scumbags seem to largely be content with fighting with each other but it makes the city centre extremely unpleasant and is just plain rotten.

I've lived in Dublin for 9 years in total living here between 1999-2003 and moving back here from London in 2009. The very first day I moved to Dublin in '99 I arrived in Heuston station to the dulcet tones of some knacker woman saying 'what are you looking at I'll bleedin' kill ya' I've always lived in the North Inner City so have seen some rare sights. I remember seeing skangers in the parks and places like that back then but I don't recall the full on street parties that they seem to have now.

People seem to blame central methadone clinics for some of it and it may have a role to play but it just seems to be a lot more prevalent / obvious these days.

The boardwalk and the whole area around Talbot St - Abbey St - Eden Quay are rank. Temple Bar is kind of seedy too, mixed in with the tourists and hen/stag dos you'll have some character that's totally skagged out of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

it certainly seems that way. Earlier in the week, a Garda station in Clare was attacked during the night. Now, it was just windows smashed in but still. They also set fire to the private car of a female Garda. fairley serious and what most people would consider scumbag behavior.

Absolutely scumbag behaviour, but those lads arent your average scumbag ;)
    Not a tracksuit between them.

I don't think this is a straight yes no answer. I'd be from one of these supposed gang riddled areas and its not better or worse but different than previous times gone by.

I'd argue that the heroin problem doesn't seem to be as bad as what it was 15 years ago (dolphin house for example)but on the other hand the cocaine problem is rampant amongst the kids and younger adults. Young men these days are a lot more violent and will use weapons to prove it. Crack has found it's way in too and that sends the new wave of drug addicts completely off the wall.

Generally the areas where I'm from and surrounding areas seem to be a lot more quiet then what they were but when something does kickoff it's 10 times worse than what it used to be.

OP I wouldn't go judging people by clothes, some of the biggest scumbags around here wouldn't be caught dead in a track suit, while a friend of mine who's the biggest geek I know wears nothing but track suits, baseball caps and walks around like he's Lil Wayne or one of them gimps. He's been hired and moving over to Japan very soon to work with some company to build focking robots or something!

Some lads where things like tracksuit bottoms and baseball caps but you can tell straight away there not scumbags

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

orestes wrote: »
    If you would like to engage in a discourse regarding the possible negative effects which a sub-culture (or the individuals of which it is comprised) can have on the dominant culture as a whole then it is important to take into account all of the relevant information such as the socio-political situation of the culture of the time whilst also realising that a sub-culture is in many ways a reflection of the culture within which it came to be. By definition, a sub-culture cannot exist independently of the culture from which it grew, which would suggest that the dominant culture has a responsibility towards the sub-culture and therefore has certain moral and ethical obligations towards it such as those in the relationship between Dr. Frnakenstein his monster.

See, using big words to sound clever isn't that hard, I usually just take it to mean somebody is trying to muddy the waters to make themselves sound clever about something that they know nothing about or to talk fancy sounding nonsense. Just cos someone is talking fancy sounding shyte, doesn't mean they're not talking shyte :)

I disagree with your point about a sub-culture being a reflection of the larger culture and also with your assertion that the dominant culture has a "responsibility towards" a sub-culture.

Why would you think I was trying to "muddy the waters"? The biggest word in my post was "reprehensible" I don't think I'm stretching the brains or vocabulary of too many people around here? I genuinely don't understand what was "fancy" about the words I used or the point I was making?

I'm only talking about scumbags and scumbag junkies who I despise. How can we rehabilitate them not to act like scumbags? Brainwash them? No we can't because they have the mind of a scumbag and they will never change

Well don't worry about it as they will all be on a TUS work for dole programme very soon or they will be erased from the dole. Yes this is a happening on a huge scale. The days of getting dole as i have seen are all gone, everyone will be working for it in their community and the social welfare will leave no spare souls in their en-devour. Times are a changing and no-one, scumbag or otherwise will be left roam outside this programme.

• Advertisement

zenno wrote: »
    Well don't worry about it as they will all be on a TUS work for dole programme very soon or they will be erased from the dole. Yes this is a happening on a huge scale. The days of getting dole as i have seen are all gone, everyone will be working for it in their community and the social welfare will leave no spare souls in their en-devour. Times are a changing and no-one, scumbag or otherwise will be left roam outside this programme.

Working as what though? Can't see them doing anything productive except picking up their own poo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines?

Working as what though? Can't see them doing anything productive except picking up their own poo

Community work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

For the record, I actually do think there's a serious scumbag problem.
    Having said that:
    You just know by looking at the person that there going to be on the dole for life

One does not simply apply the scumbag label to a person just by looking at them. Being a scumbag is about what you do, not what clothes you wear, what kind of accent you speak with or any other such superficial sh!te.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

This will never work for wannabe criminals drug addicts and the like and here's the reason why.

They'll be given community employment, they will either fock it up or just not bother turning up. Then they will lose their dole, turn to crime, sent to prison and cost the state more.

Ridiculous idea.

Next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

Ahh... I will never forget my encounter with the guy who kicked another guy in the face!

Community work.

yes selling drugs around the community

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

Fieldog wrote: »
    It's no different than it was 15 years ago imo...

isnt that the problem then, 15 years later and its still the same shi@@ty problem

This will never work for wannabe criminals drug addicts and the like and here's the reason why.

They'll be given community employment, they will either fock it up or just not bother turning up. Then they will lose their dole, turn to crime, sent to prison and cost the state more.

Ridiculous idea.

Next.

It's joan burtons amazingly thought-out idea.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines?

Travis Bickle - Taxi Driver

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement