Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scumbag situation getting worse and worse

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

Some fella started a culchies thread this week slagging them to no end. Well now you can go shove this thread when the sun dont shine eh!

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭IrishExpat

I'm no fan of the city center, and I've posted my thoughts on it before.

The usual begging, aggression when you can't or refuse to offer any money, it's not ideal, and looks ****ty to tourists coming in.

But with a bit of rational thought here, I don't know their situations personally, bad luck, mental illness, addiction, ****e upbringing ... but yes the addiction would probably account for a high percentage of the problems, and with cuts across the board in the public service, you can imagine that the facilities that exist can't cope with the demand for treatment.

So let's be honest - you can't stop addiction and related begging at street level, and the only 'real' solution is tackle the source, suppliers, dealers. But who in their right mind among the average joe is going to get involved in tackling it, aside from a hardened vigilante or someone with nothing to lose?

So - aside from complaining on message boards - here are your options:
    • ignore it when going about your business
    • help a charity involved with this demographic
    • look for assistance (public or Garda) if intimated verbally or physically
    • form a vigilante group
    • complain on boards.ie

Thems your options.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Our legal system simply isn't working anymore.

Depriving somebody of their liberty by sending them to prison simply isn't a high enough deterrent anymore.

The way I see it is that if somebody harms another person (through theft or assault) they are taking from society and they need to repay society with the use of their skills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

What a disgusting high and mighty attitude. I don't see OP doing anything about it but be a well off keyboard warrior with ill informed views. This kind of shite is what really makes me hate this particular forum at times.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 295 ✭✭joetoad

you're right, the north inner city is completely neglected by the council in terms of plans to make the place nicer (as they clean up the south city centre almost each year in some form - ie a local plan or whatever).

i dont think you can call someone a scumbag if they are wearing a tracksuit. that's complete ignorance.

some people ride their high horse around though and assume that if someone can't afford to wear the latest high fashion or be seen driving a sports car that they are scum.

Nope, I never said everyone wearing a tracksuit is a scumbag, I wear tracksuits for god sakes and so does nearly everybody. I'm talking about the people with tracksuits tucked into their socks, the hats at 90 degrees

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

joetoad wrote: »
    Nope, I never said everyone wearing a tracksuit is a scumbag, I wear tracksuits for god sakes and so does nearly everybody. I'm talking about the people with tracksuits tucked into their socks, the hats at 90 degrees

I wear a hat like that sometimes, does that make me a scumbag?

Cydoniac wrote: »
    What a disgusting high and mighty attitude. I don't see OP doing anything about it but be a well off keyboard warrior with ill informed views. This kind of shite is what really makes me hate this particular forum at times.

How exactly? I don't like scumbags and scumbag druggies, end of

I wear a hat like that sometimes, does that make me a scumbag?
    Nope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

OP strikes me as a Tim 'nice but dim' or Ross O'Carroll Kelly.

****s himself whenever he hears a Dublin accent no doubt and preys he makes it home safely.

Nope

Why not? it clearly makes others scumbags.

Secondly, Can you specifically define the type of person you are discriminating against?

• Advertisement

How exactly? I don't like scumbags and scumbag druggies, end of
    You're surely just taking the mick at this stage? Right now you are starting to look worse than the imaginary mob you talk about.

Secondly, Can you specifically define the type of person you are discriminating against?

Yes, scumbags

Yes, scumbags

Coward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Wibbs wrote: »
    TBH I've seen that kinda thing myself IP and not only once. Around the GPO seems to be a fave spot for some odd reason. :confused: .

The GPO is a great place to drop off a parcel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭con1421

It seems to be gettin slightly better. When I was in first year in college I used to see tons and tons of junkies hanging around Hawkins street while I was waiting in my bus always asking for money. Now there is a limited amount around town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

Usually scum have more offspring than hardworking decent people. It all boils down to that.

Usually scum have more offspring than hardworking decent people. It all boils down to that.
    Where do you get such misguided, unfounded opinions from?

Life

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Zillah wrote: »
    Because middle-class people, whether they're on booze, coke or whatever, don't... treat the street like a toilet and intimidate people going about their business.

You've obviously never been out on a weekend in Ireland.
    Formosa wrote: »
    Why?

Well, if they're as stupid as mud (and Mr. Toad has kindly informed us that this is a fact) then they clearly have some manner of learning difficulty, and the government really ought to take care of its most vulnerable citizens, who obviously can't take care of themselves.

Because they're all as stupid as mud, you see.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 228 ✭✭shinkansen

most normal people know when to have kids, or if they can afford to have kids

scum just f**k slags and have kids, irrespective of any of the above, with several slags one after another === multiple scum off spring.

to solve this all hospitals should castrate sons of scumbags = no future scum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

What is a scumbag?

I get the impression that people erroneously link the traits of s scumbag to a particular socioeconomic group. To me scumbag is a person with little or no respect for other people. This includes a lack of respect for the physical, mental and social well being for other people if the scumbag can gain from it.

Scumbags wrecked a well known bar in Goatstown a year ago, scumbags kicked a man to death outside Annabell's nightclub a few years back, scumbags take drugs like cocaine or ketamine and work for the state broadcaster and scumbags get drunk and preach to others about their daddy's income level.

The above includes an assortment of privately educated UCD undergraduates, rugby player and broadcasters.

Some may say a scumbag who is on the street addicted to heroin has very little respect for himself and that's true. A lack of respect for ones self mostly stems from a lack of respect afforded to them from other people.

I went to a deis school we had teachers who told u we would only do ordinary level etc and "working class people" don't dream of college". I was lucky be be educated abroad come back and do a PHD. A lot of the people in m class either went to jail or ended up addicted to drugs, the luckier ones got a trade or went to college. I now am called posh by some people in college, cant win it seems :rolleyes:. I'm a working class posh-speaking intellectual apparently. I like every other human transcend class and my behavior cant be predicted by it. All the same it is important to recognize that some don't get the same respect as other early on.

On the other hand people are born into better circumstances do well because of better opportunities. Anyone with an ounce of logic in their heads should be able to see that how people are treated by society will have an effect on how the react towards society.

Some people are told from day on that they are going to be "nothing" and some people born into different environments are told the opposite. I don't see how people who go to some of the worst schools in Ireland are more entitled than those who go to the best schools in Ireland.

Scum are scum despite "class" and the phrases "middle class brains" and "middle class children don't intimidate other people" are crazy.

If people really cared about "scumbags" and reducing the amount of addicts they would stop putting down people born into different circumstances with that middle class superiority nonsense.

Imagine a young guy on here from a disadvantaged area reading that middle class children are better and working class people are more prone to becoming scumbags? Young people are neurologically hardwired to respond to the feedback they get. It's people who slate those from different socioeconomic backgrounds that are partly to blame for the scumbag problem.

shinkansen wrote: »

scum just f**k slags and have kids, irrespective of any of the above, with several slags one after another === multiple scum off spring.

We live in hope

• Registered Users Posts: 51,922 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Ah you can't beat After Hours for suggesting a bit of an auld Cull,
    scumbags, farmers, nurses, garda, teachers, bankers, developers and politicians.

When does the cull begin and will it be held annually?

Life

I would suggest you get your opinions from a combination of logic and intelligence. Then hopefully we can expect posts longer than 2-5 words of condensed hate and rather a series of well thought out solutions.

shinkansen wrote: »

From the florid vocabulary I'm guessing my tax's went to pay for a classical education?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

A scumbag asked me for a cigarette once, while he was smoking a cigarette.

As regards scumbags from whatever economic bracket I will say try not to be intimidated by them. They will notice that and target those who look like they don't want to be in a certain area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

.....one realized what torture unemployment must be to him. People are wrong when they think that an unemployed man only worries about losing his wages; on the contrary, an illiterate man, with the work habit in his bones, needs work even more than he needs money.
    An educated man can put up with enforced idleness, which is one of the worst evils of poverty. But a man like Paddy, with no means of filling up time, is as miserable out of work as a dog on the chain. That is why it is such nonsense to pretend that those who have 'come down in the world' are to be pitied above all others.
    The man who really merits pity is the man who has been down from the start, and faces poverty with a blank, resource less mind.
    http://www.georgeorwell.org/Down_and_Out_in_Paris_and_London/32.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

In fairness if you cant tell the difference between some Jembo and a regular guy wearing a cap, you is lacking in street smarts.

The type of person the OP is refering to is the guy who just screams trouble. The way he holds himself, the way he looks at people (that challenging up and down look). And lets not forget that generic look.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Ah you can't beat After Hours for suggesting a bit of an auld Cull,
    scumbags, farmers, nurses, garda, teachers, bankers, developers and politicians.

When does the cull begin and will it be held annually?

Think you forget social welfare recipients and of course the old reliable, single mothers on that list;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement