Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scumbag situation getting worse and worse

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

joetoad wrote: »
    How exactly? I don't like scumbags and scumbag druggies, end of

But you judge a scumbag on whether they've an addiction problem or wearing a tracksuit and not by anything they've done. I judge a scumbag on their behaviour and not their accent, class, attire or addiction problem. My uncle is an alcoholic but he's not a scumbag. He's lovely, in fact but has a problem with drinking and needs sympathy and understanding instead of judgement from people like you. He doesn't wear a tracksuit or some from a working-class area in Dublin though so he doesn't fit your criteria of scum, does he? :rolleyes:

If there's one trait I despise in people it's snobbery.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SimonLynch

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Again could someone define a scumbag? If people are asking whether someone from a poor background made a difference to society then that's an easy answer.

I think it was originally a Jewish expression used in New York for a used condom. To me it's anybody who purports to be your friend and screws you over.

I've made my century and got a thanks from steddyeddy, my work is done :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

SimonLynch wrote: »
    I think it was originally a Jewish expression used in New York for a used condom. To me it's anybody who purports to be your friend and screws you over.

If we take a closer look at the used condom...It's long, sticky and slimy, i'd rather be called a scumbag any day than be called a used condom.

Yes it makes no sense at all but that's just the way i see the words in a different light. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

A scumbag is someone, who does not respect others. Never mind, what he wears or where he is coming from.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 295 ✭✭joetoad

But you judge a scumbag on whether they've an addiction problem or wearing a tracksuit and not by anything they've done. I judge a scumbag on their behaviour and not their accent, class, attire or addiction problem. My uncle is an alcoholic but he's not a scumbag. He's lovely, in fact but has a problem with drinking and needs sympathy and understanding instead of judgement from people like you. He doesn't wear a tracksuit or some from a working-class area in Dublin though so he doesn't fit your criteria of scum, does he? :rolleyes:

If there's one trait I despise in people it's snobbery.
    Let's get one thing straight, a person who wears a track suit with a baseball cap mighnt be a scumbag, but is the main outfit that scumbags wear. You can tell if a person is scummy or not. A lot of people wear tracksuits including myself but I don't tuck them into my socks!

Yes addiction is a problem but everyone knows how dangerous and addictive Heroin is. It's their own scumny fault for taking it. People trying to twist things is funny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

A scumbag wears a tracksuit and white trainers.

Optional extras:
    beckham style tattoos
    star newspaper in back pocket
    old style phone
    gold jewelry
    red/pink/purple streak in hair
    baseball hat
    madchester posture
    tight haircut with obvious fringe
    obnoxious earrings

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Let's get one thing straight, a person who wears a track suit with a baseball cap mighnt be a scumbag, but is the main outfit that scumbags wear. You can tell if a person is scummy or not. A lot of people wear tracksuits including myself but I don't tuck them into my socks!

Yes addiction is a problem but everyone knows how dangerous and addictive Heroin is. It's their own scumny fault for taking it. People trying to twist things is funny

People's ignorance is even funnier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

People trying to twist things is funny

You trying to defend yourself is funnier.

SV wrote: »

You trying to defend yourself is funnier.

Okay x, you trying to twist things is even funnier

:D Good one! Tell that to the members of Golden Dawn in Greece who like to wear bomber jackets and docs or the corrupt politicians stealing tax payers money in Valencia in Spain who like to wear suits or the lads in my town who used to grab girls by their, ahem, vaginas in bars who wore Rugby shirts or those lads who kicked tha fella to death on the south side of Dublin who probably dressed in Abercrombie and Fitch or the lads who played on an American basketball team in the States who raped that girl and boasted about it after who I doubt wore tracksuits tucked into their socks or the lads I used to see in Dublin fighting each other outside bars who wore shirts and jeans or the Mafia in Italy who like to wear Gucci...

Do scumbags exclusively come from working-class areas in your world? It certainly looks that way.
    Yes addiction is a problem but everyone knows how dangerous and addictive Heroin is. It's their own scumny fault for taking it

Would you label alcoholics the same thing?

• Advertisement

Lars1916 wrote: »
    A scumbag is someone, who does not respect others. Never mind, what he wears or where he is coming from.

There has always been a stigma in relation to the way a person is dressed in this country.

Even a mate of mine a while back would do nothing but slag a person if he was not well dressed or was wearing a track-suit having a smoke at the side of a shop and calling him a scumbag but i always question comments like this and asked why do you think he is a scumbag ? he just said he looks like one, so there you go.

This so-called mate was told by me to piss-off and i don't deal with this scumbag anymore. He was a scumbag in the end but he himself thought he was the decent person but in the end he was the real scumbag, slimy joe we called him thereafter.

I wonder still as to why he thought he was a better human being than this stranger having a smoke on his own minding his own business. I'll never know.

:D Good one! Tell that to the members of Golden Dawn in Greece who like to wear bomber jackets and docs or the corrupt politicians stealing tax payers money in Valencia in Spain who like to wear suits or the lads in my town who used to grab girls by their, ahem, vaginas in bars who wore Rugby shirts or those lads who kicked tha fella to death on the south side of Dublin who probably dressed in Abercrombie and Fitch or the lads who played on an American basketball team in the States who raped that girl and boasted about it after who I doubt wore tracksuits tucked into their socks or the lads I used to see in Dublin fighting each other outside bars who wore shirts and jeans or the Mafia in Italy who like to wear Gucci...

Do scumbags exclusively come from working-class areas in your world? It certainly looks that way.

Would you label alcoholics the same thing?
    I'm talking about Ireland and scumbags roaming the streets, nice story though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

withless wrote: »
    A scumbag wears a tracksuit and white trainers.

Optional extras:
    beckham style tattoos
    star newspaper in back pocket
    old style phone
    gold jewelry
    red/pink/purple streak in hair
    baseball hat
    madchester posture
    tight haircut with obvious fringe
    obnoxious earrings

Dont forget the obligatory liverpool jersey even though they couldnt find the place on a map. Sheep.

I'm talking about Ireland and scumbags roaming the streets, nice story though

Ehhhh noooo I don't think so. You're talking about working class fellas in tracksuits and you're dislike for them.

Define scumbag please.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

zenno wrote: »
    There has always been a stigma in relation to the way a person is dressed in this country.

Even a mate of mine a while back would do nothing but slag a person if he was not well dressed or was wearing a track-suit having a smoke at the side of a shop and calling him a scumbag but i always question comments like this and asked why do you think he is a scumbag ? he just said he looks like one, so there you go.

This so-called mate was told by me to piss-off and i don't deal with this scumbag anymore. He was a scumbag in the end but he himself thought he was the decent person but in the end he was the real scumbag, slimy joe we called him thereafter.

I wonder still as to why he thought he was a better human being than this stranger having a smoke on his own minding his own business. I'll never know.

Not only in this country ;)

Let's say, someone in Germany runs around with a tracksuit on the road, he is just laughed at, maybe being called a weirdo. A scumbag would be someone wearing a vest over a fat beer belly or a woman running around in a dressing gown all day.

Called a weirdo for jogging/running in a track-suit in germany :pac: the germans must be living in a land of make believe, or in a strange world other than this as people wear track-suits while jogging in many countries. Sometimes i feel that i am living on the wrong planet with the idiots that there are out there.

It's just shocking the way people treat each other these days, it's a zoo of idiots with no real self-taught of what being a real person is. Zombies most of them are with a non-functioning brain.

Ah well, there's a lot of people out there like that so there's no point in getting upset over it i suppose, just have to carry on and enjoy life and the interaction with decent people that do not constantly judge their fellow man/woman.

zenno wrote: »
    Called a weirdo for jogging/running in a track-suit in germany :pac: the germans must be living in a land of make believe, or in a strange world other than this as people wear track-suits while jogging in many countries. Sometimes i feel that i am living on the wrong planet with the idiots that there are out there.

It's just shocking the way people treat each other these days, it's a zoo of idiots with no real self-taught of what being a real person is. Zombies most of them are with a non-functioning brain.

I also wear tracksuits going to the gym, whats your point? I think may edit the original post and include scumbags with tracksuit bottoms tucked into their socks

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SimonLynch

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Not only in this country ;)

Let's say, someone in Germany runs around with a tracksuit on the road, he is just laughed at, maybe being called a weirdo. A scumbag would be someone wearing a vest over a fat beer belly or a woman running around in a dressing gown all day.

Running around with a tracksuit on the road :D, he might be running :) The 'with' bit is he wearing it or carrying it, if he's carrying it he might be a shoplifting scumbag IMO.

I also wear tracksuits going to the gym, whats your point?

Can you define scumbag for me there please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

The area around O'Connell Street/Abbey Street/Henry Street is still a disgusting shíthole and could probably benefit from a carpet-bombing.

However in general I find the volume of "scumbags" has declined in recent years. Certainly I don't notice them as much as I used to.

• Advertisement

Can you define scumbag for me there please?

A degenerate person living on social welfare payments with no intention of bettering themselves except from crime.

Is seen to hang around street corners drinking, taking drugs, robbing, dealing, hitting or intimidating people

Wears knockoff Tracksuit with white knockoff runners. Pants tucked into white socks.

Usually has a buzz haircut with greasy fringe and starts every sentence with "Allright Bud".

Wears a baseball cap at 90 degrees.

Will rob you if giving half a chance.

Have the look of a scumbag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Dwork

"John D Rockefeller was born, then he started a business, then he became a billionaire". Brevity. Gotta love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I have a huge amount of respect for people who come from humble backgrounds and make something of themselves. There's a lot of people in academia like that. Ironic considering some of the privately educated students look down on those less fortunate.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

The annoying thing is that these people couldn't even be bothered to find a job as they'll always have the Dole. They're wasting our money on their drug addictions.

They shouldn't be able to receive money from the Government if they haven't bothered their arses to look for a job. End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

ray2012 wrote: »
    The annoying thing is that these people couldn't even be bothered to find a job as they'll always have the Dole. They're wasting our money on their drug addictions.

They shouldn't be able to receive money from the Government if they haven't bothered their arses to look for a job. End of.

Well that's where I agree completely. That's a far cry from the thinly veiled all working class are scumbags sh1t!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Agricola wrote: »
    Living in the middle of nowhere the nearest thing to a scumbag I'd normally see would be a pensioner with a fondness for sleeping tablets but on a trip to the big schmoke lately I had the experience of being surrounded on a luas by a bunch of proper dodgy characters. Head to toe in Nike or Adidas, fidgeting with their genitals, incessant talk of methadone, the odd loud "Ah heyer leave it out" - The air of menace was palpable. I kept my head down and thought of Sunday shpins and sups of tae.

So nothing happened?

I'd say you're the type that lives in the middle of nowhere (voluntarily) and pisses and moans about the lack of public transport, but when it comes to using it you don't like mixing with the common people because of your own insecurities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭whitesands

shinkansen wrote: »
    seriously, you are from Dublin and asking us what a stereotype scum bag is.
    Your obviously a kid from a sheltered background.
    I'm from Dublin & I couldn't tell a scumbag from looking at one, their actions define whether they are a scumbag or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Dwork

whitesands wrote: »
    Your obviously a kid from a sheltered background.
    I'm from Dublin & I couldn't tell a scumbag from looking at one, their actions define whether they are a scumbag or not.
    Specsavers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭MickFleetwood

Yeah, because people who wear tracksuits are scum.

Somebody should've notified me that I'm a scumbag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭MickFleetwood

Yes and why did they take heroin in the first place? Oh now I know cause there scumbags

You are clueless.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement