Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coffee & Other things.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

Dano not to go all Zoolander on you but if you think style over here is better than home your nuts, skinny jeans, flip flops, vintage stuff from your granda's days..

Skinny jeans on guys here is ridiculous, i'd say some of them starve themselves for a month to fit into them too. It's not natural!!
    Clothing here is quite sh!te too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

Returned with an Aussie souvenir in tow, and the hospitality we've had driving around the country for the past 2 weeks has been sensational. While we met plenty of great people on the road in Oz nothing compares to the friendliness here, even just the general chit chat on the street or in the pub.

The hustle and bustle here makes a real difference, cities and towns feel alive, Brisbane pales in comparison to smaller cities such as Cork or even Galway. Value for money is something that has really changed, so many excellent new places opening up enticing customers in with brilliant service. Although it is a shame to see so many shutters down and boarded up shops.

The savings, the savings!!! The other half has already fallen out of love with me and has run amok in Pennys, can't get enough of it! Heading into Dunnes and getting groceries is oddly a wonderful experience, the bill is nowhere near the Coles $200 mark!

The choice on radio, in Dublin anyway, is fantastic. No more absolute f**king Aussie muck, great stations such as Phantom, Radio na LIfe, Nova etc. and great discussion on Newstalk etc. as well a decent choice on TV (with a trillion less ads!).

Find going out a lot more fun, I'm not sure if it's just different than Oz or perhaps being politically incorrect here but perhaps Perth has taken the majority of toerags out of the equation and town feels alot more safer and good natured. Course you still got to watch your back but don't feel as threatened as 2 - 3 years ago.

Of course there are negatives, the weather, the junkies around town, the pockets of litter that make you truly ashamed to be Irish and the doom and terror of the news.

The plan for us was to stay a 6 weeks here and head back to Oz but I enjoy being back and she enjoys it even more so it looks like we may just give it a real go and see what happens. And if we need some sun the Med is only a couple of hours away :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

How on earth did I forget to mention e1.50 chicken fillet rolls?! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Skinny jeans on guys here is ridiculous, i'd say some of them starve themselves for a month to fit into them too. It's not natural!!
    Clothing here is quite sh!te too.

Well from a females perspective, the baggy jeans Irish guys wear with the ripped bottoms are cringey. There is a reason ye don't get into nice clubs wearing them lads.

I'm not saying men need to wear the skinny skinny jeans but a nice pair of fitted jeans (not teamed with runners) is very smart. Nothing wrong with putting a bit of care into your appearance. Although please don't adopt the low cut wife beaters. They belong only in the Shire.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

For me, I think the general chit chat you can have with strangers is a strong element of what makes Ireland such a fantastic country.

Oh and the chicken fillet rolls- delicious!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

statina wrote: »
    For me, I think the general chit chat you can have with strangers is a strong element of what makes Ireland such a fantastic country.

Couldn't agree more!

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

Batgurl wrote: »
    Well from a females perspective, the baggy jeans Irish guys wear with the ripped bottoms are cringey. There is a reason ye don't get into nice clubs wearing them lads.

Batgurl i have to agree here. Working in a bar in the cbd its actually so easy to spot the irish man. Even the aussies i work with can now spot them out. 90% of the time baggy jeans dress shoes/desert boots jack and jones/crosshatch t shirt or for the more sophistictaed irish man loose jeans dress shoes ralph lauren polo shirt.

Irish mens style is a joke!

if anyone is in melbourne get your jeans from here! australia denim tailored for you in 30 minutes for 50 dollars! where in ireland could you get a pair of jeans tailored for 2 hours pay?

http://www.broadsheet.com.au/melbourne/fashion/directory/shop/dejour-jeans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Well I would rather be picked out as a paddy than dress like an Aussie.

Jeans hanging around their arses, canvas runners and v necked tshirts 2 sizes too big to show off their waxed chests.

No thanks!

Slidey wrote: »
    Jeans hanging around their arses, canvas runners and v necked tshirts 2 sizes too big to show off their waxed chests.

No thanks!

agreed! ;)

i feel that there is more diversity in the clothing available in australia. However the way I described the dress of the regualr irish man may be a reflection on the demoographic of people that are here. Much like the demographic that have shaved chests and v necks!

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Lucifer-0

I'm a bit surprised with some of the comments regarding clothes here.
    I find broadway shopping centre in Sydney has decent stuff reasonably priced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 buffalo909

danotroy wrote: »
    Batgurl i have to agree here. Working in a bar in the cbd its actually so easy to spot the irish man. Even the aussies i work with can now spot them out. 90% of the time baggy jeans dress shoes/desert boots jack and jones/crosshatch t shirt or for the more sophistictaed irish man loose jeans dress shoes ralph lauren polo shirt.

Irish mens style is a joke!

if anyone is in melbourne get your jeans from here! australia denim tailored for you in 30 minutes for 50 dollars! where in ireland could you get a pair of jeans tailored for 2 hours pay?

http://www.broadsheet.com.au/melbourne/fashion/directory/shop/dejour-jeans

Back home you don't need a tailor, because jeans and pants are sold in different lengths, also whats the story with the new car number plates mentioned in the op?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

buffalo909 wrote: »
    Back home you don't need a tailor, because jeans and pants are sold in different lengths, also whats the story with the new car number plates mentioned in the op?

resize_smr.html?image=smr-main-image2566.jpg&new_width=470&new_height=200

http://www.mediacontact.ie/mediahq/simi/45080/new-131-registration-plate-rolls-out-today.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

i still don't understand why! who's bright idea it was to pointlessly spend money changing a perfectly good system for the worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

They brought it in to try and boost sales of new cars. :rolleyes:
    I think they missed the memo that the place is poverty stricken. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭melonstar

Can King crisps be bought in Melbourne?

I dont know where your shopping but even if i dont get my jeans from here i can get them at differing waist and lenghts at various locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 buffalo909

Maybe its different in Melbourne but just about anywhere mainstream in Sydney only seem to sell standard length jeans etc., so annoying, pay for new pants, straight away have to pay more to them sorted.

The new number plates seem a bit odd, how is it an incentive for people to buy a new car?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

The new number plates seem a bit odd, how is it an incentive for people to buy a new car?

Because the government thought people would be fucking stupid enough to be put off buying a new car by the number 13. Also they hope that it will boost sales in the second half of the year now that people can tell what half of the year you bought it in. The whole concept is pretty ridiculous really.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/2013-number-plates-to-be-changed-to-avoid-unlucky-13-26890349.html

The new number plates seem a bit odd stupid, how is it an incentive for people to buy a new car?

Because the biggest word in Irish marketing is NEW.
    Even with the previous system the first thing people looked at was the number plate, that was ridiculous.the new system is even more FCUKING RIDICULOUS.
    I'm glad it's fallen flat and is now a laughing stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Maybe its different in Melbourne but just about anywhere mainstream in Sydney only seem to sell standard length jeans etc., so annoying, pay for new pants, straight away have to pay more to them sorted.

Nah in Melbourne most shops will only have standard lengths, e.g 32 inch waist will only come with a 32 inch leg. Pain in the hole If your a short arse like me. Although Topman do different lengths, there's only so many skinny chinos you can own

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Nah in Melbourne most shops will only have standard lengths, e.g 32 inch waist will only come with a 32 inch leg. Pain in the hole If your a short arse like me. Although Topman do different lengths, there's only so many skinny chinos you can own

Many places (Levi's store for example) will alter leg length for free anyway. I am 33 inch leg so has always been pain to get correct length.

Someone mentioned Dejour in Brunswick in earlier post. You do get a good fit but some of denim quality is fairly average. I bought a dark pair a few months ago and colour faded and started to wear really badly on ass and knees after couple of short bike rides down to pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

jackbhoy wrote: »
    Many places (Levi's store for example) will alter leg length for free anyway. I am 33 inch leg so has always been pain to get correct length.

Really? I was in the Levi's store in Harbour Town the other day and they never mentioned that. I'll have to try and chance my arm with them.. Although considering the discount you get they'll probably tell me to jog on

Someone mentioned Dejour in Brunswick in earlier post. You do get a good fit but some of denim quality is fairly average. I bought a dark pair a few months ago and colour faded and started to wear really badly on ass and knees after couple of short bike rides down to pub.

I was in the Levi's store in Harbour Town the other day and they never mentioned that. I'll have to try and chance my arm with them.. Although considering the discount you get they'll probably tell me to jog on

Is Dejour not worth it then?

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

The Aussie wrote: »
    Even with the previous system the first thing people looked at was the number plate, that was ridiculous.the new system is even more FCUKING RIDICULOUS.
    I'm glad it's fallen flat and is now a laughing stock.

Why would year after milage not be one of the major factors for buying a new car?

Why would year after milage not be one of the major factors for buying a new car?

Because the year is not as important as the condition of the car, you can have a 2005 model in better condition than a 2008 of the exact same model car that is purely down to the attitude of the owner/drver.

A high mileage (highway) car with a proper scheduled maintenance programme is better than a low mileage city car that is driven cold for shorter distances with start and stop driving (80-90% of engine wear happens before engine is at warm running temperature). Also if you consider a properly maintained modern engine should in theory be good for upwards of 400K miles a 2003 engine should not even be half way through its running life, on my 1949 Land Rover I'm rebuilding it only has 189K on the clock and the bores are immaculate on it, I would say that that engine will be good for at least 500K given proper maintenance.

So year and mileage should only be a part considerations in a bigger picture, but when the year of the car is the only consideration and a 10 year old car that can still pass a NCT is considered as to old, there is something completely wrong with the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

I was in the Levi's store in Harbour Town the other day and they never mentioned that. I'll have to try and chance my arm with them.. Although considering the discount you get they'll probably tell me to jog on

Is Dejour not worth it then?

The Levi's in Melbourne Central certainly offer it. They get the little alterations kiosk downstairs to do it.

Dejour is ok, the fit is certainly as good as you'll get but I have had mixed experiences with denim quality with them. I suppose for $40-50 it is still good value, but with free alterations and regular 50% off sales in Levi's I find them better option personally.

jackbhoy wrote: »
    Dejour is ok, the fit is certainly as good as you'll get but I have had mixed experiences with denim quality with them. I suppose for $40-50 it is still good value, QUOTE]

its great value and the fit is great. But if your looking for a pair of jeans that last a good few years you should go with levis. ive had 4 pairs of dejour jeans had 2 pairs since dec 2011 and one of them has a hole right under one of the front pockets, the other pair which i wore more frequently are perfect. the other two pairs i ended up cutting into shorts for the summer they are both in perfect nick after being worn to work cycled in and swam in on occasion. in short cheap custom fitted average quality jeans go for dejour if you want quality denim that will last years but a standard fit go to levis.

I was in the Levi's store in Harbour Town the other day and they never mentioned that.

:eek: :eek: :eek: what were you down there for? That place is a travesty, must of been an irish property developer involved there somewhere along the line.

Advertisement