Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mother is two months gone, want to write to her... where?

• 22-03-2013 2:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭

Bit of a weird question, but this forum has been helpful in my previous post so I decided to ask here.

My mother is gone two months now, and while it hasn't really gotten easier, I am starting to get back on my feet.

Recently, I've wanted to write to her for some reason, just to tell her how I'm doing and to say I miss her and that sort of thing. Now I'm under no impression she'll get these messages, I'm not crazy. I just need to do it for my own peace of mind I guess.

If anybody has any suggestions, it'd be really appreciated.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Writing a letter can be very cathartic. I think its a great idea.
    I wouldn't hold onto them afterwards though, personally I would burn them afterwards thinking of those viking ceremonies - I know a bit out there but in a way I'd imagine the ashes of the letter rising up to her. Just me though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Letters to the Dead in Ancient Egypt were usually written in on the inside of a bowl, which would contain an offering, and was placed at or in the deceaseds tomb.

Whatever you write is for them, so don't keep it. Either burn it by candle, or bury it at their grave, or burn it at their grave.

It's a nice thought, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,948 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

A friend of mine who lost her mam writes letters to her.
    She then puts it in a small envelope,folds it up and then pushes it deep into the ground where her Mam is buried.

She finds it a great source of comfort and a release for her.

Hope you find a way that works for you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭callmepetardu

Burning it or burying it by the grave sounds like a really good idea actually! I just feel the need to write to her, to let her know I haven't forgotten about her or something. I can't really explain it to be honest, I just know it'll put my mind to rest!

Thanks a million, guys :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,948 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Burning it or burying it by the grave sounds like a really good idea actually! I just feel the need to write to her, to let her know I haven't forgotten about her or something. I can't really explain it to be honest, I just know it'll put my mind to rest!

Thanks a million, guys :)

Totally get what you mean, I talk to my mam all the time, tell her how much I miss her. So whatever works and puts your mind at rest is what you do :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement