Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lifting Gloves

• 22-03-2013 2:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Just looking for advice on gloves to protect my hands while lifting.

Was deadlifting earlier and the weight was grand but gripping the bar was painful, hands are wrecked after it.

Just wondering does anyone have recommendations for gloves, also gloves with added support for the wrist's would be fantastic:D

Cheers in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

Gloves in this instance would make it worse.
    I would recommend wrist wraps, and alternating each hands grip on the bar,. one arm with your palm facing forwards, one backwards, if that makes sense, that will help to ensure that the bar does not roll out of your hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Gloves would just make it worse. I find they feel weird. Get some chalk and wrist wraps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

Your hands will get used to it over time and will start to grow some jucie calluses.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 kedrek1

This is a good video to watch.Dont use gloves either better off without them some day you will forget them when ya go to the gym http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZBmiQm4MF4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Cheers for the replies guys, when deadlifting, its not my wrists but the palm of my hands that get very sore, I have big calluses already, and sometimes the bar cuts my hands a little...

I'm only lifting 80kg or something on the dead's at the minute, which isn't a whole lot judging by what everyone else is lifting around me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

Cheers for the replies guys, when deadlifting, its not my wrists but the palm of my hands that get very sore, I have big calluses already, and sometimes the bar cuts my hands a little...

I'm only lifting 80kg or something on the dead's at the minute, which isn't a whole lot judging by what everyone else is lifting around me

I've had my fair share of callous problems and the best thing I've found is using a pumice stone on them. A couple of minutes in the morning will stop them getting to big and lesson the chances of them blistering and separating from the layers of skin beneath. The longer you leave them untreated the more likely they are to tear. Torn callouses suck so it's worth taking a few minutes to look after them.

Keeping your hands moisturized can help as well, especially if your fond of using chalk.

Here's a pretty good video on hand care:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Its sounds like you could be holding the bar much higher up your hands than what you need to, if you grip it with the base of your fingers being at 3 o'clock/9 o'clock if you were to look on from the end of the bar it should just hang in the hook your fingers make and not pull on your palms espec if you use an alternating grip.
    And definitely get chalk too

Advertisement