Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

combi heat pump option or not

• 22-03-2013 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

folks,

which is best in relation to geothermal:

combi heat pump option or separate tank system

all comments welcomed in terms of:

initial capital purchase costs - is there much of a difference?
    ongoing running costs
    does the combi provide enough water storage for a typical family home of 5 people.
    all other comments

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭soundskin

The biggest difference i see with Combi vs separate tank is % hot water runtime for the heat pump on a hot water cycle. With combi units the heat pump will run usually from 15-25% on hot water (rest of the time doing heating). With stand alone tanks, i see as low as 10% run time for hot water.

Capital costs: separate tanks will cost more due to added pipe work, non return valves in some cases, separate location of tank to heat pump (HP on GF and tank on FF). Combi is a lot more straight forward install thus lower costs

Ongoing costs: Combi slightly more expensive due to lower volume, but hot water production isn't the major factor in heat pump running costs, heating the building is.

Combi enough water: Yes, i know plenty cases with 5 plus people with 160L tanks in their combi and they have plenty hot water. Mains/booster pressure, shower type, user shower time will play a big part in amount of hot water available. People are normally very happy with heat pump hot water production as the heat pump should be working on hot water priority.

I would never bother put in Solar with a good geo heat pump, hot water costs with a geo heat pump would be on average €150 per year, if you had solar and saved 70% per year, €105 saving. You would be 38 years paying off the solar if it cost 4k to install it.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭JD6910

soundskin wrote: »
    The biggest difference i see with Combi vs separate tank is % hot water runtime for the heat pump on a hot water cycle. With combi units the heat pump will run usually from 15-25% on hot water (rest of the time doing heating). With stand alone tanks, i see as low as 10% run time for hot water.

Capital costs: separate tanks will cost more due to added pipe work, non return valves in some cases, separate location of tank to heat pump (HP on GF and tank on FF). Combi is a lot more straight forward install thus lower costs

Ongoing costs: Combi slightly more expensive due to lower volume, but hot water production isn't the major factor in heat pump running costs, heating the building is.

Combi enough water: Yes, i know plenty cases with 5 plus people with 160L tanks in their combi and they have plenty hot water. Mains/booster pressure, shower type, user shower time will play a big part in amount of hot water available. People are normally very happy with heat pump hot water production as the heat pump should be working on hot water priority.

I would never bother put in Solar with a good geo heat pump, hot water costs with a geo heat pump would be on average €150 per year, if you had solar and saved 70% per year, €105 saving. You would be 38 years paying off the solar if it cost 4k to install it.

many thanks. great reply.

any idea how much more expensive the separate tank would be - approx figure would be useful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭soundskin

JD6910 wrote: »
    many thanks. great reply.

any idea how much more expensive the separate tank would be - approx figure would be useful.

I reckon anywhere between 1.5 -2k would be the average between combi and sperate tank.

Advertisement