Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

stelville county dublin

• 22-03-2013 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

hi can anybody help me my great great great grandfather lived in stelville county dublin in the year 1825,can anybody tell me where that was thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

it's not the name of a townland, parish or street... maybe the name of a house or estate ?

what's the source and context of the place name ?

there's a mention in this RootsWeb post of the death at 'Stelville Co Dublin', of a Jn Cockaine in 1831 aged 69 years

• Registered Users Posts: 28 gwd

shanew wrote: »
    it's not the name of a townland, parish or street... maybe the name of a house or estate ?

what's the source and context of the place name ?
    hi shane, i recieved this message froma lady in england with this information thanks again
    Hi Gerry
    I haven't been in touch for over 2 years.Sorry. My family research on the Davis side has been very slow since our last correspondance.Howver, I have found the following;
    Davis, Holebrook of Stelville, County Dublin, merchant tailor
    shop, 144 North King-Street, Dublin - freeman
    on list Voters for Dublin city registered in 1835

3 Oct 1825 passed to be in Corporation of Tailors in Dublin. Sworn in 16th April 1827 - Claim Grace

Holbrooke Davis esq. is listed in Pettigrew & Oulton directory of 1834, with an address of 'Stelville', Cross guns - so north Co. Dublin back then, later in the suburbs, and later still incorporated into the city.

see : http://www.swilson.info/roots/po1834co/po1834co.php?pageno=13

(he has a nice distinctive name ... so easy to spot)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

Any chance that Cross Guns is in the/was in the Glasnevin area?

GoogleBooks has a snippet view of Holdbrook Davis, Stelville, Glassnevin

However, sometimes what is in the brief description is not always on the same page. Can't access Pettigrew's 1836 if I click through.

• Advertisement

^^ yes - Phibsborough, near the canal bridge

Any chance that Cross Guns is in the/was in the Glasnevin area?
    Can't access Pettigrew's 1836 if I click through.

The directories I have online use the same type of pdf interface as the Irish census and Dublin City parish records - should work on most PCs

screenshot for people that cant view the directory.....

245977.jpg

in the 1840 edition he's shown as Holdbrooke Davis & Co., men's mercers, 65 William St.

(doesn't state which William St. i.e. north or south, but based on numbers I think probably south)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

Apologies Shane, my laziness precluded me from clicking your link! :o

• Advertisement

^^ you had me worried for a sec... thought it should be ok for most people :)

link the 1840 entry for Holdbrooke in the Index.

He's not mentioned in the street index for either William St.... so may have moved around the time the directory was being compiled.

hi shanew and coolnabacky1873,thanks for your help, i think phibsboro is the area,i thought of des kelly carpet shop croos guns bridge lol.
    on a side note im looking for information on his father a william henry davis born late 1700s who was a lientennant in army,thanks again for your help gerry

going the opposite direction for a sec... there's a marriage of one of his daughters, Carolin in 1850, on IrishGenealogy.ie

see : http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/5f5c6b0581944

confirm that this Davis family was likely Church of Ireland, and bride's father was a Merchant.

p.s. do you know where Holbrooke was born/baptised ?

going the opposite direction for a sec... there's a marriage of one of his daughters, Carolin in 1850, on IrishGenealogy.ie

see : http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/5f5c6b0581944

confirm that this Davis family was likely Church of Ireland, and bride's father was a Merchant.

p.s. do you know where Holbrooke was born/baptised ?

yes shane i found that myself,its his daughter,shane holbrook was born in dublin 1804 and married twice,first wife unknown,second wife ann harwood glamorgan

was wondering how you had his father's name....

There are transcripts of quite a few military records on FindMyPast (UK), and Ancestry that might be worth checking for details of William - although there might be quite a few 'Davis' entries. (helps if you know regiment, or even some locations/postings for the person you are searching)

For other military records you have to research in the National Archives (Kew, London)

Shane

think 1st wife was named Catherine... possible baptism of Caroline at St. Werburgh CofI in 1826

see : http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/ef175e0226881

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Sorry to butt in but I just want to say thanks as yet again an unrelated thread has proved quite useful to me, specifically the link to Pettigrew & Oulton which confirms the address of Patrick Urquhart Thompson of 14 Upper Mecklenburgh Street which has opened up all sorts of leads for me!

Genealogy Forum Mod

think 1st wife was named Catherine... possible baptism of Caroline at St. Werburgh CofI in 1826

see : http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/ef175e0226881

hi shane,thanks again for your help,i only knew of a holbrook born 1829 from the first marriage not any caroline but the name carololine comes up a few times in the family tree,my information about wiliam hennry davis comes from the same lady from england thanks again

^^ scans from the 1834 and 1840 editions of Pettigrew & Oulton.

http://www.swilson.info/roots/pettigrewoulton.php

(The 1834 is the earliest street listing I've seen for Dublin city)

Advertisement