Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Passport for British Spouse

• 22-03-2013 11:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭

My wife's British and her UK passport is expiring soon.

She wants to have an Irish passport.

We've been married for more than three years, both living and working in Ireland.

I've checked the websites of all the relevant bodies (DOJ and INIS) and I can't believe that it she'll have to first get a Certificate of Post Nuptial Citizenship by going through the whole Naturalisation route with INIS costing €175 for the app and a further whopping €950 for the ceremony.

Am I missing something here, or is this really the procedure?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

We've been married for more than three years, both living and working in Ireland.

I've checked the websites of all the relevant bodies (DOJ and INIS) and I can't believe that it she'll have to first get a Certificate of Post Nuptial Citizenship by going through the whole Naturalisation route with INIS costing €175 for the app and a further whopping €950 for the ceremony.

She is British, can she not get a british passport?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

She is British, can she not get a british passport?

She could. But if you read the OP....

No, you're not. It is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

She could. But if you read the OP....

No, you're not. It is.

I read the OP, I am just suprised that someone would think because you marry an irish person you get yourself a lovely Irish passport.

If you want an Irish passport and do not qualify under one of the numerous automatic entitlements then its naturalisation and all the crap that goes with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

You are missing nothing, while your wife has the required time to APPLY for the honour of being granted the gift of Naturlisation of Ireland. Currently all she has is the right to apply, the minister may decided at his absolute discretion to grant or not irish Naturlisation. That process will take some time, I believe they are aiming to do application within 6 months.

If your wife's passport is going to expire in a matter of months, it would be easier to get a British passport and of course cheaper than the Naturlisation process.

BTW if the OP was applying for British Naturlisation the fee is £851 I believe all paid at the time of application, in ireland we break it up into an application fee and then if granted Naturlisation a further fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

This is hilarious, me want, me get.....it's not like choosing a fecking toothbrush!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Thanks for the info all...she's going to be sticking with the UK passport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

I read the OP, I am just suprised that someone would think because you marry an irish person you get yourself a lovely Irish passport.

It used to be true. They got rid of the scheme sometime in the mid 2000s but until then OP's wife would indeed have been entitled to an Irish passport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Dandelion6 wrote: »
    It used to be true. They got rid of the scheme sometime in the mid 2000s but until then OP's wife would indeed have been entitled to an Irish passport.

To be honest I thought you got it wrong, but I checked and you are indeed correct http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1956/en/act/pub/0026/sec0008.html#sec8

Repealed in 2001 http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2001/en/act/pub/0015/sec0004.html#sec4

I did not know it was that easy till 2001.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Yes, Only Irish Citizens can get an Irish Passport, so to get one your Wife (as does mine) needs to Naturalise and this costs €150 + €950 as you have noticed.

The €950 fee is for a wife of an Irish Citizen, for a Widow, it is only €200, but I hope my wife never find this out :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,713 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

She can't get an Irish passport without becoming an Irish citizen. This was always the rule. All that has changed is that becoming an Irish citizen is now a slightly bigger production than it used to be for someone in her circumstances.

The change was made in 2005 to equalise the treatment of men and women in this regard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Peregrinus wrote: »
    She can't get an Irish passport without becoming an Irish citizen. This was always the rule. All that has changed is that becoming an Irish citizen is now a slightly bigger production than it used to be for someone in her circumstances.

The change was made in 2005 to equalise the treatment of men and women in this regard.

The treatment of men and women was equalised in 1986. Between then and 2005 (when the legislative provision cited by Research Will came into effect) a spouse of either sex could avail of the post-nuptial scheme.

Advertisement