Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty Sofa

Options
  • 22-03-2013 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Can someone help me with a query - I bought a suite (three seater and two seater recliners) last year. Not leather (but whatever fabric they use instead of leather - guy in shop told me most sofas in this price range aren't leather). Anyways, I bought the suite in the shop at end of Jan 2012 and it was delivered in early March (therefore i have it just over a year). I paid almost €2,000 for it. A couple of months ago i noticed a bit of the material had come off the side seam of the middle seat cushion in the three seater. I was a bit annoyed but thought "I'll get a leather repair kit to sort it". I didn't do anything about it for the next while but last night i had a good look at it. The middle seat cushion (the one you sit on rather than the back cushion) has a doubled back section on the front 10 inches or so which is then sewn into a seam one third or so of the way back on the cushion. The two sides aren't sewn down so you could put your hand in under this section between the cushion and the doubled back section. it is along the side seam of this doubled back piece that the problem has arisen. When i had a better look at it last night there was the tear i had originally noticed plus two other tears which aren't as visible until you go looking for them - they are all along the seam. Secondly, the armrest on the end of the couch that i usually sit at is fading quite a lot which is annoying. It is quite obvious.
    My query is would these be considered "normal wear and tear" after such a short time. While the sofa was delivered over a year ago, there was an issue with the three seater (a rip which had been repaired or a glue mark) and it had to be replaced, which took at least a month - this would mean that i have the three seater just under a year.
    I am going to the shop at lunch time today but just thought someone out there might have an idea of my rights. I personally would expect a suite costing almost €2,000 to last longer than a year before these issues arose, especially as there are no children in the house, and it is just me using the suite 95% of the time.

Advertisement