Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to buy a pig?

• 22-03-2013 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi, doe's anyone know where i can buy a pig for slaughter?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

A live pig you'd either be able to get at a piggery, a market or at a Mart.

Personally, I would get onto a good butcher and ask them to source 1 already slaughtered & prepared for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Clareman wrote: »
    A live pig you'd either be able to get at a piggery, a market or at a Mart.

Personally, I would get onto a good butcher and ask them to source 1 already slaughtered & prepared for me.

Was going to offer the address of an ex, but the above advice makes a lot of sense, and takes a lot of the messier side of things out of the mix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭dzer2

Unless you are going to slaughter yourself you will need a pig herd number to buy a pig. As slaughter houses need this to process the pig. You can buy half and full pigs already slaughtered from some of the natural food company's on ad sites. Or from me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I open to correction here, but I think it's illegal to slaughter animals now, all slaughtering has to take place in registered places, a lot of old style butchers had to stop their own slaughtering because of this, also a lot of "styles" or curing (like hairy bacon) have stopped cause of people not being able to slaughter their own

I open to correction here, but I think it's illegal to slaughter animals now, all slaughtering has to take place in registered places, a lot of old style butchers had to stop their own slaughtering because of this, also a lot of "styles" or curing (like hairy bacon) have stopped cause of people not being able to slaughter their own

Correct and right thats why there is a herd number but the amount of slaughterhouses still doing pigs is slowly reducing and only the factories are now doing it around here. If you are a butcher or even a skilled factory line operator you would know how to do it as you use nearly all the pig there is very little waste.

• Advertisement

dzer2 wrote: »
    If you are a butcher or even a skilled factory line operator you would know how to do it as you use nearly all the pig there is very little waste.

As was mentione on an episode of Man vs. Food, a pig is good from the rooter to the tooter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭INEEDANID

http://www.kilkennyfreerangepigs.com/

They seem to sell pigs live or butchered.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Jjoa

Unless you are going to slaughter yourself you will need a pig herd number to buy a pig. As slaughter houses need this to process the pig. You can buy half and full pigs already slaughtered from some of the natural food company's on ad sites. Or from me.

What's the price per kilo would be? :)

Jjoa wrote: »

That I don't know as I'm not affiliated with the site but if you contact them they should be able to tell you.

125 a half pig including 10lb of sausages youcan get the belly whole of sliced into rashers and gammon steaks. Pigs go to slaughter at around 90 to 100 kgs and there is very little waste. You can also get pork and ham split this way.

• Advertisement

That's quite big price for the half pig

• Registered Users Posts: 9 michaelReed

There's plenty of pigs on triathlon forum

That's quite big price for the half pig

Buying in butchers will leave you little change out of 250 euro;)

There's plenty of pigs on triathlon forum
    Can give a link?:):rolleyes:

Buying in butchers will leave you little change out of 250 euro;)
    Yeah i know that. This is why i am looking for a whole pig to slaughter.

I'm awaiting a reply from www.kilkennyfreerangepigs.com

I queried how much a live pig would be :) and also a slaughtered pig per KG.

I'll get back to you here.

INEEDANID wrote: »

Thanks;)

They got back to me

A live pig is €2.10 per KG or so and an average pig weighs about 90KG

A slaughtered pig is €2.50 per KG

A butchered pig would be worked out at the cost of all the cuts combined.

Seems decent I may even buy a pig myself, I wonder how many dinners you would get from one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Just make sure it's not horse... :)

LOL :D
    I heard that it's possible get pig with the price 1€ per kg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

LOL :D
    I heard that it's possible get pig with the price 1€ per kg

All above board, yes?

€1 per kilo would be too cheap I'd be worried about what they would be feeding the pig or where the meat actually came from. I think with meat in general the more you pay the better the meat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

They got back to me

A live pig is €2.10 per KG or so and an average pig weighs about 90KG

A slaughtered pig is €2.50 per KG

A butchered pig would be worked out at the cost of all the cuts combined.

Seems decent I may even buy a pig myself, I wonder how many dinners you would get from one :)

I don't know the ko% of a pig but the slaughtered price looks very reasonable

jomoloney wrote: »
    I don't know the ko% of a pig but the slaughtered price looks very reasonable

About 80% without the guts and you will be paying for the bone in the joints. The butchers will make sausages and tripe type stuff form the rest leaving them a healthy profit all the same:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭Askim

This is incorrect, you can home kill a pig for your own consumption, & you can kill a small amount of fowl for yourself too.

Bought a full uncut side of a pig 2 years ago for €90, great way to learn now to butcher a pig.

A

Askim wrote: »
    This is incorrect, you can home kill a pig for your own consumption, & you can kill a small amount of fowl for yourself too.

Bought a full uncut side of a pig 2 years ago for €90, great way to learn now to butcher a pig.

A

Price of feed has gone up 100% in that time:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭JessePinkman

A Neighbour keeps alot of pigs for slaughter,PM if interested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

Askim wrote: »
    This is incorrect, you can home kill a pig for your own consumption, .

A

not legally

all animals have to be killed at a licensed premises , other wise the meat has to destroyed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭Askim

jomoloney wrote: »
    not legally

all animals have to be killed at a licensed premises , other wise the meat has to destroyed

This argument was had in farming form before, & you can still legally kill a pig at home for your own consumption.
    A

• Advertisement
Advertisement