Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog insurance-new policy

• 22-03-2013 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

I got a new dog from the pound last November and took out pet insurance in NI. He then went on to chew some plastic in December and the operation to remove it cost £1200. Policy was on day 10 of a 14 day cool off period but in the end the company agreed to pay the cost of the op. However, I now have to cancel this policy as the dog is now living in Dublin and the UK policy is now invalid.

Wondering would he get insurance in Ireland seeing as he has a history of chewing and eating things? He seems to have stopped chewing now seeing as he has another dog for company, but has chewed a small few things since but nowhere near as bad as he was.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

You would still be able to get insurance but any pre existing conditions won't be covered so I'd imagine in his case anything to do with chewing things or foreign bodies wouldn't be covered!

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭snoopy29

hmmm ok thanks, hes perfectly fine and healthy apart from that so not sure if it would be worth the money to get him re-insured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Thing is though, you need to get them insured BEFORE they start showing any signs of illness. By the time they get ill (and unfortunately they all do eventually :( ) it's too late to get insurance for that particular condition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Yeah, you really should get them insured anyway, its much better to have it and maybe not have to use it, than to have something major happen and wish you had it.

My rottie did her Cruciate in 2011. Between initial vets consultant and then referral to UCD for the Operation. Its came to over €2000 and boy was i glad i had insurance. All i had to pay was €90 and they all claimed directly for me. It was brilliant.

I highly highly recommend you get insurance.

Advertisement