Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foreign Divorce Law

Options
  • 22-03-2013 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi there,

I'm brand new to Boards.ie so please bear with me :)

I have a question about the foreign divorce law. I got married in the UK but most of my married life have lived in Ireland. Is it the case that to get a UK divorce, I have to be living in the UK for at least a year? I am Irish btw. This is quite awkward for me as my life is based in Ireland. Is there any other way I can get a divorce from the UK as I feel I got married there why not get a divorce there, what difference does it make if I am not living there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Under Irish law, a foreign divorce will be recognised if at least one of the partners was domiciled in the foreign jurisdiction when the divorce proceedings are filed.

So if you're here but your husband lives in the UK, you can file for divorce over there. If you're both living here, you will need to go through the Irish process to get a legal divorce.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Per our charter Legal advice is not permitted here.
    Closing this thread.

OP - I know this seems harsh but please read forum charters before you post, there are a range of topics that are forbidden and it varies forum by forum.

Thanks
    Taltos

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement