Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sigur Ros - O2 Dublin 16th November 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭maldini

that was one amazing gig.. blew the bejesus out of me.
    the visuals, the sound, the band, the many many instruments..
    didnt have any problem with chatting as I Was close enough to the stage apart from the odd bellend charging forward towards the end. Great view.. the support was pretty damn good too. dunno what they made of having to play through the curtain though :D
    hair standing on end for so many songs. waited years to see them. man it was great :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Really excellent gig. A spiritual experience, made all the more enjoyable and memorable as I was sober, I drove and my wife had a couple of drinks, roles reversed for QOSTA later on. Went to see Bon Iver this time last year, got wasted and don't remember a thing of it.

Can anyone tell me the name of the song where all the band members exited and left Jonsi alone and he held that note for what seemed like an hour. That was phenomenal, when it kicked in my mind asploded.

Absolutely incredible night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Lazare wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me the name of the song where all the band members exited and left Jonsi alone and he held that note for what seemed like an hour. That was phenomenal, when it kicked in my mind asploded.

Absolutely incredible night.

That song was called Festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

That song was called Festival.

tytyty :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

new purpose in my life: to travel to Iceland and see Sigur Ros at their home.

One of the best live bands in the world.
    End of story.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Jesus I wet myself throughout the entirety of that concert, once again im blown away by them.

One thing though, did anybody else feel that brennistein was lacking thay little bit of oomph?

vicwatson wrote: »
    Sigur got infected by the disease too so??

Why cant people just shut the f**k up or stay at home? Grrrrrrrr:mad: :mad:

And leave the friggin phones at home, I ended up having to scream the head off some chap for constantly taking pictures and flashing over my shoulder..constantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

Incredible show. Had no problems with people talking and using phones around me. I bought my tickets from the band's website thinking I would be in a block of fans with a bit of cop on and it seemed to pay off. Delighted they played Svefn-g-englar as it seemed to be dropped for the last leg of the tour. Still buzzing after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I can't understand why people don't turn the flash off on their phones. Makes it so much worse for people around them and doesn't do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Effects wrote: »
    I can't understand why people don't turn the flash off on their phones. Makes it so much worse for people around them and doesn't do anything.

Probably don't know how, despite being such brilliant photographers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭CdeC

The gig was brilliant. Was quite near the stage but not too near so had a great view of all the visuals. Loved the one where it looked like people either rising up through the air or up through an ocean. The wall of sound was just incredible and the best show I've seen by them. Shows off how amazing the new album is.

I don't know why people give out so much at gigs.
    People will want to talk, take photos/videos, move to get drinks, move back to meet their mates. Just let them at it.
    Buy a DVD of the gig and watch at home if it bothers you so much.

CdeC wrote: »
    The gig was brilliant. Was quite near the stage but not too near so had a great view of all the visuals. Loved the one where it looked like people either rising up through the air or up through an ocean. The wall of sound was just incredible and the best show I've seen by them. Shows off how amazing the new album is.

People will want to talk, take photos/videos, move to get drinks, move back to meet their mates. Just let them at it.

Thats grand and all, but flash at a gig is just unecessary and just downright crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 paganji

No.

I would prefer the live experience, without listening to people constantly talking. Watching a DVD is nowhere close to the real thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭mosstin

Irish Aris wrote: »
    new purpose in my life: to travel to Iceland and see Sigur Ros at their home.

One of the best live bands in the world.
    End of story.

I saw them around this time last year in Reykjavik. They played the wonderful Iceland Airwaves festival on the Sunday night. Phenomenal gig. Opened with this. Incredible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

Lazare wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me the name of the song where all the band members exited and left Jonsi alone and he held that note for what seemed like an hour.

That was unreal how long he held it...i thought he might faint!

On the filming thing i will admit i did film a bit myself when i was at the Ennio Morricone gig and kinda regretted it afterwards because you're missing out on the moment really concentrating on filming. Now in saying that i'd like to think i was a bit more discreet at Ennio than what was going on last night. I had a fellas arms bang off my head a few times and looked around to see his camera practically plonked on top of my head with his arms either side! People should really forget about the filming. Enjoy the moment and store it in your head! :)

Bloody amazing gig though. It'll live long in the memory!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

Does anyone have the playlist of what was on last night?
    I was there, but forget some of the songs.

This was the 1st time I seen them play live, and it blew me away, was in tears at saeglopur and hoppipolla.
    I agree with who ever said that brennisteinn was not as "impressive"....it was still very good but not so powerful, I thought I gaer was very very powerful at the end etc.

I was sitting behind 3 prats, woman and 2 men, they would not stop talking, waving their hands about and this one in front of me in particular kept knocking my bottle out of the holder on my seat several times.
    The guy beside him leaned back so much that his head basically hit my friends lap and continued through out the whole thing to shout rubbish through the quiet parts of the songs.
    I hope they read this as they were certainly not acting their age of about 45-50, and constantly ignored many people asking them to wise up.

A part from those 3, this gig is certainly one I will remember. His voice is so powerful live.

tumblr_mwext4S82p1r8k79eo1_500.jpg

tumblr_mwext4S82p1r8k79eo3_500.jpg

tumblr_mwext4S82p1r8k79eo5_500.jpg

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/sigur-ros/2013/the-o2-dublin-ireland-5bc4fb9c.html

Think this is close but not quite right. Thought there were some songs between Festival and the encore?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Amazing gig, really enjoyed it. Visually one of the best I've been to, up there with Rammstein and Roger Waters. Delighted they played Svefn-g-englar. Crowd was pretty annoying at times though.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/sigur-ros/2013/the-o2-dublin-ireland-5bc4fb9c.html

Think this is close but not quite right. Thought there were some songs between Festival and the encore?

No Festival was the last song before the encore - it is a long song with two distinct parts though.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭gilmour

he held that note in Festival for nearly 40 seconds :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I see your point. though I don't agree.
    If people want to talk, they can talk between the songs. Or they can go for a coffee and have a chat.
    If the drinks are so important, they can stay further back and have easy access to the bars.
    Pictures are less annoying, they wouldn't distract me that much. And to be honest, I do it myself so I can't complain. No flash though. If I can't take a decent picture without flash, then it's no picture at all.

I didn't find it extremely annoying yesterday. It was far worse during Kraftwerk in Longitude where, although I was very close to the stage, I still had drank people shouting, moving around, making out etc.

Some pictures that I took:

Pna1npcl.jpg
    DwcpMY1l.jpg
    WsR6LaMl.jpg
    MGYgLjBl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭roll

after 6 or 7 seated gigs this was my first time standing at the O2-couldn't get over the constant hum of chat for the first 45 mins-moved forward gradually and the second half of the gig was absolutely fantastic... great set list!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Great concert. Had good seats and was in awe from start to finish i did feel bad for some people standing there seemed to be 5 or 6 people that had their phones out the entire concert.

Why would you even bother? You've missed out on something brilliant happening right in front of you.

lordgoat wrote: »
    Great concert. Had good seats and was in awe from start to finish i did feel bad for some people standing there seemed to be 5 or 6 people that had their phones out the entire concert.

Why would you even bother? You've missed out on something brilliant happening right in front of you.

Completely agree, don't know why you wouldn't want to live in the moment for a concert like that.

One thing I liked about The Lumineers concert up in Belfast was that they came straight out and asked people to just focus on enjoying the music and not worry about their phones and cameras.

Edit: Full setlist is here - http://instagram.com/p/g0NbdSAh8S/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,360 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I never tire of seeing Festival live, what an absolutely amazing song. The only one that could beat it would be Ara Batur.

Had the same issues with the crowd talking though, I was way back so I expected it a bit but no where near the level that it ended up being, couldn't stand it.

Left promptly after Festival. Made my night. Incredible live performers.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

8-10 wrote: »
    I never tire of seeing Festival live, what an absolutely amazing song. The only one that could beat it would be Ara Batur.

Highlight for me was Olsen Olsen just sublime.

Festival was my wifes highlight - Jonsi was amazing for the whole song.

The sheer power of Popplagio at the end is just something to behold! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭flasher0030

In my honest opinion – I would definitely recommend that a Sigur Ros concert be installed as an 8th Wonder of the World.
    It is not just a gig you go to, to sing along the songs of your favourite band. It’s a special occasion. I have been to the Pearl Jams, Metalicas, The National, AC/DC and they have all been great gigs. But this was special. It was like a spiritual experience, that you don’t get from your typical concert. There were certain parts where I felt like exploding due to the intensity, certain parts where I had goosebumps and other parts that were just sad, like Vaka. I spent a small fortune years ago to the touts for a Sigur Ros gig in The Olympia, and it was worth it at the time (touring just after Takk). But this was better.

The new stuff sounded good, but not mindblowing. And I don’t think it has the capacity to ever do it for me like ( ), agaetis byrjun, Takk and about half of the songs from Med … and Valtari. I don’t know what it is yet. Maybe that will change in time!!!

Great setlist on Saturday night. Ebow and Svengular were welcome surprises for me (I had looked up the setlist – part of me wanted the surprise but I really had to see what they were playing).

And popplagid at the end was thumping as usual. I love Varúð and thought it was special live.

Best show I was ever at by a country mile. Spent most of Saturday night awake, replaying the gig in my head and humming along to myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭callmepetardu

It was a sensational gig, but the crowd were annoying at times. I don't know why people feel the need to talk about other things during a gig, but hey, it's their money!

Saeglopur blew me away, it's been one of my favourite Sigur Rós songs since I started listening to them. Shed a tear or two when I heard the opening.

Festival was fantastic, and my boyfriend nearly imploded with happiness when they finished with Popplagio. The setlist was actually just great...

And Jonsi? Just wow.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I had never heard Popplagio before Saturday night :o Think it was better to hear it live first though!

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Advertisement