Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sigur Ros - O2 Dublin 16th November 2013

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭mosstin

8-10 wrote: »
    I never tire of seeing Festival live, what an absolutely amazing song. The only one that could beat it would be Ara Batur.

Had the same issues with the crowd talking though, I was way back so I expected it a bit but no where near the level that it ended up being, couldn't stand it.

Left promptly after Festival. Made my night. Incredible live performers.

Ugh, my least favourite Sigur Ros by some distance. Threw the kitchen sink at it then said "Lads, what's missing?" Some bright spark joked "A children's choir" and there you have it. Any time I hear a record now where a band's completely overdone it on a song, I think to myself 'They've Ara Batured it.'

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Really enjoyed the gig on Saturday, out of all the gigs I've been to in the O2 the seats I had were probably the worst I've had, far right of stage in Block G. Still not the worst, but would've loved to have been front and centre.

CdeC wrote: »
    I don't know why people give out so much at gigs.
    People will want to talk, take photos/videos, move to get drinks, move back to meet their mates. Just let them at it.
    Buy a DVD of the gig and watch at home if it bothers you so much.
    Tbh, I'd normally take the same viewpoint as yourself when it comes to more rockier gigs, but when you have people constantly chattering away during really quiet bits (especially at a gig such as this) it really gets annoying.

I thought it was just me that had to put up with annoying twats throughout the gig, I'm surprised that it seemed to be so widespread.

I had some absolute twat and her boyfriend sit behind me and yap through the whole gig, really non stop stuff, and it just got worse when his two mates arrived. Then they insisted on taking pictures (with Flash!) throughout the gig. And to top it off, yer man and his mate decided to go for a wizz halfway through the encore! Like FFS, wait until it's finished, it's not as if they had long to wait.

As I've said, I normally don't mind the chatter but I had to listen to the jersey clad couple tell his mates how wonderful it was at the Aviva earlier on because you could bring you pint into your seats, which kinda shows that it was just about getting p1ssed up for them. That's fair enough but at least show a bit of respect to others around you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,360 ✭✭✭✭8-10

mosstin wrote: »
    Ugh, my least favourite Sigur Ros by some distance. Threw the kitchen sink at it then said "Lads, what's missing?" Some bright spark joked "A children's choir" and there you have it. Any time I hear a record now where a band's completely overdone it on a song, I think to myself 'They've Ara Batured it.'

It's my favourite by a distance. :P Funny how that happens.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I had never heard Popplagio before Saturday night :o Think it was better to hear it live first though!

I love hearing stuff like this i have no idea why!
    BaZmO* wrote: »

Tbh, I'd normally take the same viewpoint as yourself when it comes to more rockier gigs, but when you have people constantly chattering away during really quiet bits (especially at a gig such as this) it really gets annoying.

I thought it was just me that had to put up with annoying twats throughout the gig, I'm surprised that it seemed to be so widespread.

I had some absolute twat and her boyfriend sit behind me and yap through the whole gig, really non stop stuff, and it just got worse when his two mates arrived. Then they insisted on taking pictures (with Flash!) throughout the gig. And to top it off, yer man and his mate decided to go for a wizz halfway through the encore! Like FFS, wait until it's finished, it's not as if they had long to wait.

As I've said, I normally don't mind the chatter but I had to listen to the jersey clad couple tell his mates how wonderful it was at the Aviva earlier on because you could bring you pint into your seats, which kinda shows that it was just about getting p1ssed up for them. That's fair enough but at least show a bit of respect to others around you.

Baz, i agree.

What annoys me the most is when people just get up in the middle of a song and move an entire row of people so they can get a drink. Would it fucing kill you to wait til the end of the song.

For this reason alone the NCH will always be my fav venue, if you're late, you've gotta wait til at least the end of the song. They really keep the knuckledraggers in line!

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

This was an incredible work of art. I was playing some of their stuff in work yesterday and a mate commented that it must have been a boring gig. Couldn't have been more wrong. The vocals were something else, the visuals, I love the drumming too. I've no idea what jonsi is singing about but every word, every note means something to me somehow.

I was standing at this with my wife. There was nobody talking around us. In fact, my wife mentioned how nice the crowd seemed to be :confused: Pity that it ruined things for people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

I also didn't experience people talking. My mate mentioned that it was brilliant how nobody was talking, as during the quiet parts the experience would have been near ruined.

I also noticed for the first time, people wearing ear plugs at a gig. :confused:

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭flasher0030

This was an incredible work of art. I was playing some of their stuff in work yesterday and a mate commented that it must have been a boring gig. Couldn't have been more wrong. The vocals were something else, the visuals, I love the drumming too. I've no idea what jonsi is singing about but every word, every note means something to me somehow.

No longer a mate, I presume :):pac:
    Boring!! As if. The O2 was nearly shaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

kenon wrote: »

I also noticed for the first time, people wearing ear plugs at a gig. :confused:

Tinnitus sucks. People are doing it more and more at really loud gigs (e.g. Smashing Pumpkins, MBV). Probably was unnecessary at Sigur Ros though, didn't think it was all that loud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

It’s a special occasion. I have been to the Pearl Jams, Metalicas, The National, AC/DC and they have all been great gigs. But this was special. better.

Think you just need to hit more post rock shows :-)

I thought it was amazing anyway. My first time in the O2,great improvement on the Point! And preferred it to the Olympia show. I like the additions to the setlist since then.

It's up there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭flasher0030

symbolic wrote: »

I thought it was amazing anyway. My first time in the O2,great improvement on the Point! And preferred it to the Olympia show. I like the additions to the setlist since then.

Thanks for that. But I was just picking them as examples of highly regarded live bands. What I was trying to say is that the Sigur Ros concert to me was significantly better than any other gig I was at. And I would not be regarded as a rock/metal head. Have been to Leonard Cohen, Stone Roses, James, The National, The Decemberists, The National, Bell X1 and so on.

I don’t know why people complain about the O2. I think it’s a fab setting. And the Luas drops you right outside the door. Maybe it was the quality of the band, but the sound was brilliant on Saturday night, from where I was anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I don’t know why people complain about the O2. I think it’s a fab setting. And the Luas drops you right outside the door. Maybe it was the quality of the band, but the sound was brilliant on Saturday night, from where I was anyway.
    Who complains about the O2 as a venue? It's a fantastic venue.

I'm old enough to remember gigs in the Point, now that was a sh1tehole of a venue. Terrible sound, terrible shape, terrible toilets, non existent bar.

Kids nowadays are spoiled with the likes of the O2!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Tinnitus sucks. People are doing it more and more at really loud gigs (e.g. Smashing Pumpkins, MBV). Probably was unnecessary at Sigur Ros though, didn't think it was all that loud.

I wear plugs at pretty much all gigs these days. Except for the pixies last night cos I forgot them! What a mistake that was!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I wear plugs at pretty much all gigs these days. Except for the pixies last night cos I forgot them! What a mistake that was!

I don't think I need them personally but I completely understand why some do. Hearing damage is a scary thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

In fairness, my dad suffers terrible with it and has had surgeries and all sorts to try and fix it. So that kinda scared me into it! The husband would never wear them though. Each to their own I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

symbolic wrote: »

Thanks for that. But I was just picking them as examples of highly regarded live bands. What I was trying to say is that the Sigur Ros concert to me was significantly better than any other gig I was at. And I would not be regarded as a rock/metal head. Have been to Leonard Cohen, Stone Roses, James, The National, The Decemberists, The National, Bell X1 and so on.

Yeah I think it's a great venue too. Never enjoyed going to the Point and wasn't expecting it to be much different but they did some great work on it.

And by post rock I meant "post rock" genre bands like Explosions in the Sky,godspeed you black emperor, god is an astronaut, neurosis etc, they kinda have that different gig experience vibe compared to bands like pearl jam etc (who I also love). If you havent already you should check out those bands live.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

Ara Batur? Was that played? I see on the set list someone added avalon at the end, which I think is incorrect.
    I see the link to instagram of the set list but need to wait till I am home to check it :p

Been doing my friends heads in by humming and playing more SR than normal, still on a high from Saturday.
    Popplagið was such a powerful ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I didn't realise that people actually knew the names of Sigur Ros' songs. I own all of their albums and I'd say I could only identify Hoppipola because of how popular it is. I know all of their music, but just not the names. Anyway, I was mesmerised by this show. It was my second time seeing them, after last seeing them at Electric Picnic in 2008. Was so happy on Saturday.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Only song I could name was Svefn-g-englar because I feckin love it :o Everything else was divided into songs I recognise and songs I didn't :p

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

I didn't realise that people actually knew the names of Sigur Ros' songs. I own all of their albums and I'd say I could only identify Hoppipola because of how popular it is. I know all of their music, but just not the names. Anyway, I was mesmerised by this show. It was my second time seeing them, after last seeing them at Electric Picnic in 2008. Was so happy on Saturday.

haha, my brother is a big fan of Sigur Rós also, and we end up saying, "oh I love saeglupor" and we make up our own mispronunciations of it, so I understand why you might not bother learning the names :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Best heckle ever at a gig.

PRevious SR gig - Play Album 2 track 4.

• Advertisement
Advertisement