Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom, utorrent, and Tor

Options
  • 22-03-2013 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭

Since Eircom started blocking TPB's website a few years ago I have found customers behind Eircom can still browse it googling for TPB mirrors, or using TPB forwarder addon for Firefox.

Once I can browse for the torrent and I have it downloaded it works fine 99% of the time, but every so often I will download a .torrent file that will just not pick up any seeds.

To counter this I have been trying to configure utorrent with Tor using the Tor Browser Bundle - TEMPORARILY - I know this is not what the Tor network is for, I just wanted to use it to get the metadata, pick up a few seeds and get the snowball rolling, and then I can put my connection settings back to normal.

Guides online say to just get Tor Browser running, and then configure a Socks 5 proxy for 127.0.0.1 on port 9050. Also to select use proxy for hostname lookups, and use proxy for peer to peer connections.

I have all of this done, and I even tried using port 9151 as that is apparently what Tor comes with as default evident from the settings.

It does not work either way and I have left it for 30 minutes or so on each.

To be clear utorrent works fine normally, and it works fine even downloading torrents from the banned website, it's just sometimes it does not.

How can I get these torrents working on Eircom?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Never mind, the ones I was having problems with just started working even without Tor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Oh, if only there was some other method ;)

They are only looking at torrents, there are other (better) methods of downloading that don't leave your public IP visible for the world to see. Other methods give that full speed at all times and don't require you to upload. Only the clueless use torrents. Ask Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭runswithascript

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Oh, if only there was some other method ;)

They are only looking at torrents, there are other (better) methods of downloading that don't leave your public IP visible for the world to see. Other methods give that full speed at all times and don't require you to upload. Only the clueless use torrents. Ask Google.

Who are they? If you mean Eircom they do not look at anything, they just prevent customers accessing a website. I am not so paranoid or deluded to think anyone would monitor my bitorrent usage, let alone care much about it.

I do not need to ask Google, bittorrent works perfectly once configured - the only problem for customers of the major Irish ISPs is Eircom blocking the website of the leading tracker which can easily be gotten around with a lightweight browser addon, using website mirrors, or configuring a mirror in your hosts file (Windows).

Bittorrent maxes out my regular UPC fibre connection just fine, you may need to forward some ports (which I suspect you would have done considering another thread you posted on) or tweak the settings of your bittorrent client.

Why bother using another method? You are probably referring to Usenet, it is outdated and and a pain in the ass to use, also you have to pay to sign up for a lot of the services though I understand not all. BT is so easy to use once set up properly and once you are not firewalled/throttled, search, click, confirm data is genuine, download - what could be easier?

Even if you were downloading something you should not, nobody cares much, individual downloaders are not that important, dispense with your tinfoil hat and embrace progression.

dusf wrote: »
    Who are they? If you mean Eircom they do not look at anything, they just prevent customers accessing a website. I am not so paranoid or deluded to think anyone would monitor my bitorrent usage, let alone care much about it.

I do not need to ask Google, bittorrent works perfectly once configured - the only problem for customers of the major Irish ISPs is Eircom blocking the website of the leading tracker which can easily be gotten around with a lightweight browser addon, using website mirrors, or configuring a mirror in your hosts file (Windows).

Bittorrent maxes out my regular UPC fibre connection just fine, you may need to forward some ports (which I suspect you would have done considering another thread you posted on) or tweak the settings of your bittorrent client.

Why bother using another method? You are probably referring to Usenet, it is outdated and and a pain in the ass to use, also you have to pay to sign up for a lot of the services though I understand not all. BT is so easy to use once set up properly and once you are not firewalled/throttled, search, click, confirm data is genuine, download - what could be easier?

Even if you were downloading something you should not, nobody cares much, individual downloaders are not that important, dispense with your tinfoil hat and embrace progression.

By joining a torrent you leave your public IP visible to everyone else downloading it. The media mafia pay companies to join and take note of all the IP addresses. This is how the info for the 3 strikes rule Eircom enforce is gathered and how they get the proof for all the infringement cases you see online for sharing media. They are only watching torrents, it's the only method of downloading they can watch. You may have noticed, they only care about uploading, which is part and parcel of the way the bit-torrent protocol works. Using Tor to mask your Ip address on a torrent is counter productive, Tor is painfully slow to browse on, never mind run a torrent over, but yet you claim full speed. Also, only well seeded torrents will max your connection, good luck with getting good speeds on any with just one or two seeders or ones being heavily leeched.

I stopped torrenting years ago for many reasons, the above being main ones. But more than that, I just detest uploading and I want the max speed at all times so I'm not wasting time (even though I only download at night). Added to that, the other methods are not outdated, far from it, they offer many more options, my setup all completely automated, my content lines itself up weekly, unpacks, renames and sorts itself into folders with artwork and informs my media player that it's arrived :D

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Lombardo86

PogMoThoin wrote: »

Added to that, the other methods are not outdated, far from it, they offer many more options, my setup all completely automated, my content lines itself up weekly, unpacks, renames and sorts itself into folders with artwork and informs my media player that it's arrived :D

Can i ask how id go about getting a similar set up to you? Even a link to setup etc, it sounds like a useful thing to have.. i appear to be back in the dark ages

• Advertisement

Lombardo86 wrote: »
    Can i ask how id go about getting a similar set up to you? Even a link to setup etc, it sounds like a useful thing to have.. i appear to be back in the dark ages

Google Sickbeard, Couchpotato and Sabnzbd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Lombardo86 wrote: »

Start a video #1 and watch all 5.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHV6uM2pDmA&sns=em

Advertisement